Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOS Purge solenoid overheating / overpressured???

Old 07-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NOS Purge solenoid overheating / overpressured???

The last few days it's been REALLY hot here in SoCal......

And in the afternoons after the car sits in sun......my purge doesn't work. Hit the button and nothing....

After 30 minutes of driving......it starts working again......which seems odd.....

So......is it possible the solenoid is overheating????? Or is there too much pressure (bottle pressure near 1400)???? I'm thinking that maybe my AC is cooling my bottle (comes down to 1200 psi) and allowing the solenoid to work again. Is that possible......a pressure problem? Or is it more likely heat??? But it doesn't make sense that the solenoid would cool down with the engine heat added in......

The regular nitrous system woks fine......just the purge doesn't work.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

too much pressure and heat.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Check what your bottle pressure is getting up to while your car sits in the sun. It may be getting dangerously high. So after a little driving around with the AC on the bottle cools down & loses a little pressure. The piston in the purge noid is probably not opening due to too much line pressure because your bottle is getting hot sitting in the sun all day. It's a good idea to not leave your bottle in the car on hot days like that. Do you have a blow down tube??
Old 07-23-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran

I have found the smaller noids like the purges tend to quit right around 1200-1300 psi. The small coil cannot overcome the pressure. I would say that you are correct.

Either ensure the pressure doesnt go above that, crack a line and release pressure when it gets over that, or possibly get a new larger noid for your purge.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input and suggestions guys. I moved my solenoids today......hopefully they'll stay a bit cooler now......but I'll bet that it is the high pressure not the heat itself that causes it. Maybe I'll just refrain from driving the car when it's so hot.....or if I do I'll pull the bottle and bring it into the office with me while I'm at work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NOS Purge solenoid overheating / overpressured???