Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detonating/misfiring/cutting out on 75 shot, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default detonating/misfiring/cutting out on 75 shot, help!!

ok so i finally got everything all wired up for my tnt f1 wet kit, WOT sw, fpss, and ramchargers timing tuner. seems like everything is engaging wiring wise, but when it hits at the set rpm, it starts to hall azz but then is detonating or misfiring/cutting out every other cyclinder fire. fist set the timing on the timing tuner to 3 degs retard, and it backfired out the intake a bit. i reconnected the maf and lid that popped off, car is running fine, then i put timing at 5 degs, and it detonates like this, then set it to 7 deg and it seems a lil better but still does it bad. i dont know my base timing, it was tuned before the kit and had a steady 12.8:1 ratio. but im worried to retard it any more, could it be something else like the solenoids being bad or something?? i have the 18/31 jets in there for the 75 shot. dont know bottle pressure as my guage is broke so i have to get a new one but the nitrous is getting to the solenoid for sure(it was leaking at first). please help.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:27 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

What plugs are you running?
Old 07-23-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

NGK TR6's
Old 07-23-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

gapped at 38
Old 07-23-2005, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

which pills do you have in which line? you might have them backwards which will make it run way rich. or fule soenoid not working.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

any way we can test the noids?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:55 AM
Restricted User

18 nitrous / 31 fuel ...in each nozzle? holy crap...sounds to me like it's rich as hell or you have typed it backwards...I hope. Best check how you have them installed. It should be 31 nitrous / 18 fuel for a 75 hit-o-juice.

EDIT: Yes, you can test with car OFF, key ON and disconnect your fuel line and turn off, disconnect your nitrous line. Stand near 'noids while someone else activates, you should hear clicking in each 'noid.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Second Club

how do you have the FPSS wired? is it threw the timming tunner? im asking cause i had the ground off relay go in to FPSS then to the white wire on timming tunner. i have found out that my FPSS is acting up and when it shuts off the relay it kills the crank signal and caused my car ot back fire like crazy and die then when cam back on car whould come on too. dont know if im makeing any sense here. but i tryied
Old 07-24-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
18 nitrous / 31 fuel ...in each nozzle? holy crap...sounds to me like it's rich as hell or you have typed it backwards...I hope. Best check how you have them installed. It should be 31 nitrous / 18 fuel for a 75 hit-o-juice.

EDIT: Yes, you can test with car OFF, key ON and disconnect your fuel line and turn off, disconnect your nitrous line. Stand near 'noids while someone else activates, you should hear clicking in each 'noid.
No, i think he got it right, 31n 81f.

We have the timing tuner hooked up so how do we trick it to trip the noids? Can't we just splice into the power line and give it some juice for a second to test them?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverZ98
how do you have the FPSS wired? is it threw the timming tunner? im asking cause i had the ground off relay go in to FPSS then to the white wire on timming tunner. i have found out that my FPSS is acting up and when it shuts off the relay it kills the crank signal and caused my car ot back fire like crazy and die then when cam back on car whould come on too. dont know if im makeing any sense here. but i tryied
We had the FPSS wired up all fine, but then we read that people were having problems with them so we took one lead off one end of the FPSS then hooked them both to on lead effectively bypassing the FPSS for now.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

It's your timing tuner, mine did the same thing. It's hit & miss, sometimes it worked & sometimes not. Ramchargers wouldn't admit a problem with it. I got my buddies used timing tuner & it works fine. Ramchargers will tell you that it's a problem with your CPS or you are getting interferance from your coils or plug wires. But they won't admit that you may have a bad TT. I'm getting away from the TT all together now. Don't want to trust my motor to that little box when I can just upload a nitrous tune with HPT.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im pretty sure i put the jets in the right spots but ill have to double check that. yeah i want to test the noids but i couldnt think how to do it with the timing tuner, i guess i could just hook a positive and negative right up to it.

i do really think it is a timing issue, when we first hit it, it detonated real bad at 3 deg, almost like an explosion, i thought i blew the motor, thank god i just blew the lid and intake tubeing off. when we set it at 5 deg it was better and was just doing misfiring thing, it got a tad better with 7 deg. what im wondering is if i can go more on the timing like to 8 or 9 deg or something but im tuned, wouldnt my WOT timing be like 28deg or something? that would put me at 20deg timing which i doubt it good.

jamnut, thanks for your post. i would LOVE to run this without the timing tuner to see if thats the cause, but i have a manual car, and would be worried about not having a window switch or haveing no timing retard, plus i would have to rewire everything, i dont know what to do, i seriously hope my $270 timing tuner is not bad out of the box. whats the easiest way to test if it is bad?? so yours was doing the same thing? it would like start to pull like hell but like miss a beat every other fire.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:31 PM
FormerVendor

When the RPM **** is at zero, you can test the unit with the engine not running. (key on though.) It will allow triggering for 1 sec when testing this way.

Matt

Originally Posted by v8maro
No, i think he got it right, 31n 81f.

We have the timing tuner hooked up so how do we trick it to trip the noids? Can't we just splice into the power line and give it some juice for a second to test them?
Old 07-24-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
When the RPM **** is at zero, you can test the unit with the engine not running. (key on though.) It will allow triggering for 1 sec when testing this way.

Matt
ahh sweeeet i didnt even think of that, awesome i will have to try that for sure. thanks a bunch.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hourang
jamnut, thanks for your post. i would LOVE to run this without the timing tuner to see if thats the cause, but i have a manual car, and would be worried about not having a window switch or haveing no timing retard, plus i would have to rewire everything, i dont know what to do, i seriously hope my $270 timing tuner is not bad out of the box. whats the easiest way to test if it is bad?? so yours was doing the same thing? it would like start to pull like hell but like miss a beat every other fire.
When mine would start messing up, it would start stuttering, backfiring out of the intake & sometimes it would kill the car & when I would get it to start running again my tach wouldn't work at all. Then everything would just start working correctly. Until I tried to spray again.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamnut
It's your timing tuner, mine did the same thing. It's hit & miss, sometimes it worked & sometimes not. Ramchargers wouldn't admit a problem with it. I got my buddies used timing tuner & it works fine. Ramchargers will tell you that it's a problem with your CPS or you are getting interferance from your coils or plug wires. But they won't admit that you may have a bad TT. I'm getting away from the TT all together now. Don't want to trust my motor to that little box when I can just upload a nitrous tune with HPT.
Same here. Timing tuner is ****.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
Same here. Timing tuner is ****.
so if it is bad, can i return it to ramchargers for a new one? i dont know what the warrantee is on this thing.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, if you find out, let us all know.