Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(FPSS) Fuel Pressure Safety Switch Are they GOOD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default (FPSS) Fuel Pressure Safety Switch Are they GOOD?

I have a FPSS I just bought with my entire NX Wet Kit and I know they can be a very important saftey addition to a nitrous system. My concern however is that I recently talked to a few freinds and then today, saw a post here that warned that the FPSS actually caused more trouble than they were worth

Is this True? Or is this more of the installer or person not calibrating and adjusting the FPSS properly. I read they are set to 35 PSI, but need to be adjusted when installed to work properly.

Just curious you guys opinions that run these or know about them.

What is your Advice??????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks

Bandit............................
Old 07-24-2005, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since NX uses the HOBBS brand, you shouldn't have a problem. Most guys with issues don't have there low psi set correctly and this will cause car to stumble/spit/surge. It's a good idea to use one to keep big time failures at a minimum.
Robert
Old 07-24-2005, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Robert! I appreciate all of your help over the past few months, both on the boards and via e-mail.

Dave sent me the rest fo my stuff, just waiting on the NX Pressure Gauge monday, then I will be installed in the next few weeks.

Appreciate it!

Gary
Old 07-24-2005, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Well since NX uses the HOBBS brand, you shouldn't have a problem. Most guys with issues don't have there low psi set correctly and this will cause car to stumble/spit/surge. It's a good idea to use one to keep big time failures at a minimum.
Robert
Like if your fuel noid quits.

I hope you're right Robert. I think I am going to get one (NX) even though I heard all FPSS' are a PIA and unreliable.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah mine was working fine last weekend then I went to the track friday and on the first run the damn thing was cutting my system on and off down the track??? So I by passesed it and things where great. Iam going to take it off the car and check the setting and make adjustments as needed. Then reinstall it!

Another Thanks to Robert for helping me along the way in my choice of kit and set up!

Brian
Old 07-24-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to likley have my kit installed because of all the components I got. I better make sure i knwo how to adjust the darn thing so I can tweak as needed.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

90 percent of the installs we do has th fpss.If it is installed and adjusted correctly it serves as a nice saftey feature.
Dave
Old 07-25-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

There are differing opinions on the value and realibility of FPSS... Personally Id go with the NX brand, Ive seen the NOS version show sensitivity to vibration. On a wet kit fuel noid failure is the most common thing Ive seen happen, and in this case you have to remember a FPSS will do nothing for ya. I use a digital A/F gauge tied to the front O2's, I find it very easy to see a lean condition. On a dry kit Id montitor fuel pressure very closely, Id go with a quality fuel pressure gauge and not rely on the switch....

and thats my 2 cents...
Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
There are differing opinions on the value and realibility of FPSS... Personally Id go with the NX brand, Ive seen the NOS version show sensitivity to vibration. On a wet kit fuel noid failure is the most common thing Ive seen happen, and in this case you have to remember a FPSS will do nothing for ya. I use a digital A/F gauge tied to the front O2's, I find it very easy to see a lean condition. On a dry kit Id montitor fuel pressure very closely, Id go with a quality fuel pressure gauge and not rely on the switch....

and thats my 2 cents...
Just a newb question/idea, can the FPSS be placed after the fuel noid to be safer?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

and thats my 2 cents...
Just a newb question/idea, can the FPSS be placed after the fuel noid to be safer?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

The problem with trying to monitor a a/f gauge and/or a fuel pressure gauge is two fold, one if your drag racing try to monitor these gauges when watching track and tach and shifting and... also a fpss will shut your system down imidately, whereas, when monitoring you have to see a problem then react, too late, and you'ed have to stare at gauges all the time in order to catch a fuel system failure. This is why they make FPSS, period. As for the NOS fpss being inferior to the NX sw is nonsense as they both are manufactured by HOBBS. Now maybe NX is better at pre-setting sw (they set it at 35psi) than NOS, but the switches are the same. You can run dual fpss, one before the noid (will catch pump failure, supply failure) and one after the noid which will catch a non opening fuel noid.
Robert
Old 07-25-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

The problem with trying to monitor a a/f gauge and/or a fuel pressure gauge is two fold, one if your drag racing try to monitor these gauges when watching track and tach and shifting and... also a fpss will shut your system down imidately, whereas, when monitoring you have to see a problem then react, too late, and you'ed have to stare at gauges all the time in order to catch a fuel system failure. This is why they make FPSS, period. As for the NOS fpss being inferior to the NX sw is nonsense as they both are manufactured by HOBBS. Now maybe NX is better at pre-setting sw (they set it at 35psi) than NOS, but the switches are the same. You can run dual fpss, one before the noid (will catch pump failure, supply failure) and one after the noid which will catch a non opening fuel noid.
Robert
It is my understanding that they are not the same switch...They certainly dont appear to be the same....

Actually I had my dynotune A/F gauge mounted very close to the tach so monitoring was not a problem....as Ive said before saved my engine when the fuel noid failed.

Suppose fuel pressure dips to 40psi and holds, you have a seriously lean condition, again a FPSS set at 35psi does nothing....

Last edited by cantdrv65; 07-25-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

A FPSS is for safety concerning a failure of the fuel pump (and a couple remote issues). Because you have problem with them (or just like to argue, as the last thread it was cause it was a NOS brand), don't try to convince people not to run them. Did you not read Nitro Daves post? Set your turn off pressure to what you like. Seems you just want to argue, as you are a fan of NX and they say use one and pre set it at 35, complain to them. Myself, I watch my fuel pressure gauge and see what it dips to and set sw a little lower, then I am safe if my fuel pump fails. If your dipping to 40 you don't have a good set-up going, can you say over taxed fuel supply system.
Robert
Old 07-26-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

A FPSS is for safety concerning a failure of the fuel pump (and a couple remote issues). Because you have problem with them (or just like to argue, as the last thread it was cause it was a NOS brand), don't try to convince people not to run them. Did you not read Nitro Daves post? Set your turn off pressure to what you like. Seems you just want to argue, as you are a fan of NX and they say use one and pre set it at 35, complain to them. Myself, I watch my fuel pressure gauge and see what it dips to and set sw a little lower, then I am safe if my fuel pump fails. If your dipping to 40 you don't have a good set-up going, can you say over taxed fuel supply system.
Robert
Robert Im just bringing up valid points, again Im not a fan of NX or any other brand....I actually use a TNT system. Upon catastrophic fuel pump failure what purpose does a FPSS really serve?...A partial failure may be caught by a properly set FPSS...then again it may not. In my opinion, a A/F gauge is the safer method to use. You seem to believe any opinion you state is universal and overrides all others....I state my opinion, people are free to discern what they believe to be correct or incorrect.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Robert Im just bringing up valid points, again Im not a fan of NX or any other brand....I actually use a TNT system. Upon catastrophic fuel pump failure what purpose does a FPSS really serve?...A partial failure may be caught by a properly set FPSS...then again it may not. In my opinion, a A/F gauge is the safer method to use. You seem to believe any opinion you state is universal and overrides all others....I state my opinion, people are free to discern what they believe to be correct or incorrect.
The FPSS, upon a fuel pump failure, shuts your entire n2o system down. This saves the motor from going very lean from a continuing supply of nitrous, and this would be a very costly senerio. Yes everyone is intilted to there opinions, however, when it comes to safety and saving someones engine, I feel very strong that the correct info is handed out. Valid points, maybe, but flawed in whole scheme of things. some people are so new to the nitrous thing that discerning anything is a little overwhelming. We appreciate your input and opinions, but try to think more like a guy just starting out and include the info they need along with more advanced ideas/opinions.
Robert
Old 07-26-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

The FPSS, upon a fuel pump failure, shuts your entire n2o system down. This saves the motor from going very lean from a continuing supply of nitrous, and this would be a very costly senerio. Yes everyone is intilted to there opinions, however, when it comes to safety and saving someones engine, I feel very strong that the correct info is handed out. Valid points, maybe, but flawed in whole scheme of things. some people are so new to the nitrous thing that discerning anything is a little overwhelming. We appreciate your input and opinions, but try to think more like a guy just starting out and include the info they need along with more advanced ideas/opinions.
Robert
Ok Ill drink to that! ....bites tongue
Old 07-27-2005, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

I feel very strong that the correct info is handed out.
I'm confused. As I read this thread, you seem to be saying that only you have the "correct information"?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by critter
I'm confused. As I read this thread, you seem to be saying that only you have the "correct information"?
Well, if your so confused, set your system up with out a FPSS. I really don't care if you blow your motor. Oh, by the way if you think I am wrong, then prove me wrong.
Robert
Old 07-28-2005, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Well, if your so confused, set your system up with out a FPSS. I really don't care if you blow your motor. Oh, by the way if you think I am wrong, then prove me wrong.
Robert
I have never run nitrous, so I have no evidence to prove you wrong.

I just see your comments and you seem so pro fpss and refuse to accept any other possibility that I have to wonder what is going on. Ie:
I really don't care if you blow your motor.
So you are going to guarantee that I will blow my motor when I try to run nitrous without an fpss?

Next, there is the simple sanity check. As I read here, the primary purpose of an fpss it to protect against fuel pump failure. Howerver, the only fuel pump failures I have seen in GM cars is running out of gas and burning up the pump. Of course they fail from old age, but our cars aren't that old yet. So once again, I have trouble understanding why you are so vehemently trying to protect against a failure that, for most practical purposes, never happens. There is a higher probability of failure of the fpss switch than there is of the thing it is trying to protect.

Finally, the recommendation that you purchase something by someone who stands to profit from the sale is suspect by definition. Perhaps every vendor on this board is straight up and would not do that, but that does not change the fact that the statement is true. All vendors have to deal with that issue, be it wrenches, lawn mowers, or nitrous gear.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well if it wasn't a needed safety item do you think the manufactures of nitrous kits would just randomly include the fpss in all their kits. Maybe it's a conspiracy to jack the price up so less people will buy them? You may not blow your motor without one, but for me a few dollar safety item compared to a $6000 motor doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. There are other things that can cause fuel system failure other than just a pump failure.
You say a higher probabilty of a fpss failure over a fuel system failure, I say your wrong, and regardless a fpss failure costs you nothing whereas a fuel sytem failur on the gas is big $$. Like I said, and don't take it personal, if a guy wants to be clown like and run without one, so be it.
Robert

Quick Reply: (FPSS) Fuel Pressure Safety Switch Are they GOOD?