Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug after 75 shot popping out exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug after 75 shot popping out exhaust.

posting this in a new thread since no one responded to the new question on my old thread. here of pics of the plugs after a run. pics arent that good but get an idea. porcelin looks good and clean and white, the heat range looked good, only thing i see is the black soot on the base ring? probably just running rich? or what causes that? pics are attached.
Attached Thumbnails Spark plug after 75 shot popping out exhaust.-plug1.jpg   Spark plug after 75 shot popping out exhaust.-plug2.jpg  
Old 08-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Restricted User

Kind of hard to see the timing mark, but it appears to be well beyond the curve of the grounding strap (looks below the end of the porcelain), indicating too much timing. The soot is from rich yes, could be jetting, or PE, which can help you "pop". Hope this helps.

What plugs are these?

Whats the gap at, looks rather wide?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry for the camera phone pics, its all i had at the time. i highlighted the heat range on the ground strap to help. these are NGK tr-6's set at .038 gap. just a tiny bit wider than what they were set at the factory (.035).
Attached Thumbnails Spark plug after 75 shot popping out exhaust.-plugheatrange.jpg  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now when you say popping, do you mean all the time now, or just when stopping run? At the end of a run when snapping throttle closed and decelerating you often hear popping (unburned fuel in exhaust). You can stop this by letting off more progressively rather than snapping throttle shut. Your gap should be fine for a 75 hit, imo. I will leave the reading of the plugs to Cat, as he has this aspect down.
Robert
Old 08-01-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been in the car when he sprayed it, it pops @ WOT
Old 08-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by hourang
sorry for the camera phone pics, its all i had at the time. i highlighted the heat range on the ground strap to help. these are NGK tr-6's set at .038 gap. just a tiny bit wider than what they were set at the factory (.035).

Not sure from the pic, but think if that is your timing mark your timing is off, leading to popping as well, as wrong jetting. Here is what I am looking at as your timing mark, please verify the line within the box. It looks like the GS changes color right there. Also of note, you took these plugs out after you returned to the pit/or drove a bit post WOT N20 Run, as is evident by the washing of the coloring, correct me if I am wrong. The proper way to get a clean reading is run, coast to the turn off, shut down, pull plug, replace with new plug, return to pit area, read and adjust as necessary. PITA yes, but leaves no room for washing. Also, what plugs are you pulling? I recommend you pull from the drivers side on a wet kit, specifically #7. On a wet kit, if there is a fuel issue/distribution problem this will be the tell tale, fuel exits the drvrs side rail, leaving it leaner than even bank, and 7 is rearward so it the one that will bust the ring lands off.
What jetting and nozzle are you using?
Where is it located at?
Pics of that please, phone cam is adequate.
Attached Thumbnails Spark plug after 75 shot popping out exhaust.-timing-mark.jpg  
Old 08-01-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Reading the NOS trouble shooting guide:

High-rpm misfire when system is activated is caused by excessive sparkplug gap, set sparkplug gap at 0.030 to 0.035 Also check for loose plug wires.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Restricted User

On Topic of Popping. These are my notes, thoughts and observations:

1) It cant be good if its popping and its not popcorn or a thick booty giving a lap dance.

2) Rich causes popping.
2a) Abrupt throttle snapping close.
2b) Excessively rich condition. Check jetting (nitrous too small for fuel), faulty nitrous noid/wiring, clogged filter, tuning, check fuel delivery, line obstruction, filter(when the last time it was replaced) fuel pressure dropping more than you think, tuning, tuning, tuning.
2c) Excessive plug gap, I would close the gap to min. .035" Normally I run .032-35 NA and Nitrous and never "lost time" from it. Cleaner burn as well.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

the popping is consistent through the run at WOT, there is no popping whatsoever when i let off the gas.

cat3, that is not the discoloration, pic is misleading, that is a shadow, the color difference was clearly visible in person in the red area that i specified. yes i agree with you on the proper reading of the plugs and im not really looking at this as a way to tell if my timing is off as i knew i drove a little through my subdivision after the runs. i was more concerned about the black soot. I really appreciate your help. this is the second plug on the drivers side. this is a TNT f1 kit with the power ring and dual nozzles. nitrous jets are .31 and fuel jets are .18 per tnts recommendation. im still trying to lean towards bottle pressure as my cause of the popping but wanted to post my plugs cuz i didnt like how the soot looked. thanks.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Restricted User

Close the gap a little.
The soot could be from driving after the run, normal return to rich condition, depending on tune. Timing mark "should" be, or so I recommend, lower, at the cusp of the GS curvature. I like to have it right after the curve on the base side.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can download NOS's excellent owners manual and trouble shooting guide at www.holley.com NOS division. Search instructions for Kit Number 0031nos.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok ill try closing the gap if i cant find anything else. bottle pressure can cause this rich condition right? would high or low pressure cause this? i have an incar pressure guage and a bottle heater on the way and i will see how she runs after this. gollum, i could not find that troubleshooting guide. thanks guys for your help!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, low bottle pressure can cause a rich condition on wet kits.
Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 08-02-2005 at 12:11 PM. Reason: fix dry to wet
Old 08-02-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56
Yes, low bottle pressure can cause a rich condition on dry kits.
Robert
it's a wet kit...

so low pressure could cause a rich condition too couldn't it?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, low bottle pressure can cause a rich condition on dry kits.
Robert
Robert, did you mean wet kits? I didn't think bottle pressure affected dry the same as a wet, but have zero experience with dry so I would like to know.
Thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Restricted User

Yes, low BP on wet kit will pop. I wouldnt think Dry would have that issue since it can only add fuel based off MAF reading?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree a dry kit shouldnt have that problem. so hopefully my new heater thats coming in the mail will fix this and i can jump up to a 150shot, woohoooo!!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry, I meant wet kits are affected by bottle press, concerning a/f. Dry kits will maintain a/f ratio no matter how low the bottle press goes, however, you can set dry with a variable a/f and this will be maintained also.
Robert
Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, I meant wet kits are affected by bottle press, concerning a/f. Dry kits will maintain a/f ratio no matter how low the bottle press goes, however, you can set dry with a variable a/f and this will be maintained also.
Robert
OK. I was just checking. Thought ya had me there!!!!
Thanks Robert!

Quick Reply: Spark plug after 75 shot popping out exhaust.