Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nx wet kit selenoids placement...pics possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nx wet kit selenoids placement...pics possibly?

hey guys i am looking to mount the nitrous selenoids for my nitrous kit, and i have the places in mind and they are mounted there and i am pretty happy, however before i finalize anything i would like to see some other pics of what other people have.

FWIW i already searched my *** of on here(i am pretty good with the search function) and i was unable to get anything of value.

Thanks
Louie
Old 08-02-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a pic of my friend Lou's setup I did for him. The bracket is mounted to the head,

I am sure he will be screaming that I posted his stuff!!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am also trying to decide where to mount them. I plan to use the passenger cyl. head. NX says not to mount to the head due to the heat. I tried using nylon spacers between the head & a piece of aluminum, but it does not help. The heat travels up the bolt to the aluminum. It takes longer to get hot but it still gets as hot as the head.

Tomorrow I will try to find something I have seen before. It is designed for vibration but I think it will work as an insulator. It is a round piece of rubber like a small hockey puck and it has a threaded stud sticking out each end. So there is no metal to metal contact.

I plan to bolt a piece of aluminum to the head then use the insulators to mount another piece of aluminum to mount the solenoids on.

Airwolf: Is the bracket mounted to the head & if so doesen't it get pretty hot?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

very nice. where is the bracket from? i would probobly be interested in one...thanks for the pic. please keep them coming.

Louie
Old 08-02-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

right now i have all the noids mounted on the drivers side. i think it looks pretty good. but i dunno. i will try tog et some pics of it so other can see too.

Louie
Old 08-03-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Second Club

here is a pic how i got mine mounted. its all messy but i have since cleaned up all the wireing and made every thing nice and neat. i did this frist in pic to make sure everything was working right. and it was my frist install.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by terry s
I am also trying to decide where to mount them. I plan to use the passenger cyl. head. NX says not to mount to the head due to the heat. I tried using nylon spacers between the head & a piece of aluminum, but it does not help. The heat travels up the bolt to the aluminum. It takes longer to get hot but it still gets as hot as the head.

Tomorrow I will try to find something I have seen before. It is designed for vibration but I think it will work as an insulator. It is a round piece of rubber like a small hockey puck and it has a threaded stud sticking out each end. So there is no metal to metal contact.

I plan to bolt a piece of aluminum to the head then use the insulators to mount another piece of aluminum to mount the solenoids on.

Just run your car for a while and everything under the hood gets hot. At least mine does!

Lou has been using this setup for over 2 years and he does double the track time I do, easy. No trouble (yet)! This was a custom bracket that is easy to duplicate by a good machine shop. Lou did a template of the bolt holes and a general idea of the solenoid placement on a piece of cardboard and my shop fab'd it. Since doing it, I have seen a few really custom ones in the shape of flames, so someone out there may be selling them. I would run some searchs on it, but have no clue what someone may call it.

Good luck in what ever way you chose...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Airwolf
Just run your car for a while and everything under the hood gets hot. At least mine does!

Lou has been using this setup for over 2 years and he does double the track time I do, easy. No trouble (yet)! This was a custom bracket that is easy to duplicate by a good machine shop. Lou did a template of the bolt holes and a general idea of the solenoid placement on a piece of cardboard and my shop fab'd it. Since doing it, I have seen a few really custom ones in the shape of flames, so someone out there may be selling them. I would run some searchs on it, but have no clue what someone may call it.

Good luck in what ever way you chose...
I agree it gets pretty toasty under there. I think that a solenoid that is attached to the head un-insulated would get hotter than one that is insulated or attached to something other than the engine.

If NX says not to mount to the engine I expect they have a good reason.

I did find silicone insulators today that will take up to 300 degrees (regular rubber ones are only rated to 150-160 degrees befor they start to melt). I ordered a couple to give them a try.

Nice job on the bracket.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Terry.
Keep me informed on the insulators. I will let "02 Pewter LS1" know about these incase he has a problem down the line.
Thanks!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Airwolf
Terry.
Keep me informed on the insulators. I will let "02 Pewter LS1" know about these incase he has a problem down the line.
Thanks!
They said they should be here this week. I will give them a try and let you know how they do. I am no expert but I believe the reason they say not to mount to the engine is that over time the heat will cause the seals to go bad sooner than they would otherwise. I doubt if there would be a problem initally.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

No offense to everyone else's setups, but I never liked how the solenoids were just chilling on/around the engine. It just seemed like there was too much heat and moving parts in that general direction, so here's what I did...
I made this cute little bracket... I needed a 3 foot line for the fuel feed. The 18 in. line from NX was too short, but the 2 foot 3AN lines for solenoid-to-nozzle lines are long enough. I do have a purge which sits comfortably on top of the nitrous 'noid. I hadn't bought it at the time when these pics were taken (Dec '04 / Jan '05).
Attached Thumbnails nx wet kit selenoids placement...pics possibly?-noids.jpg   nx wet kit selenoids placement...pics possibly?-bracket.jpg  
Old 08-03-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

They look a little hard to access but keeping them away from the heat can't be bad.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run a couple set-ups on a couple cars on the heads and no problem with the heat (secret is to spray as often as possible). I like your rubber isolater trick though. wish I would have thought of it. Doing it this way can only help with the heat issue. Can you post a link to where you got em, as I wants some. thanks
Robert
Old 08-04-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

They look a little hard to access but keeping them away from the heat can't be bad.
Hard to access? NAH! Just gotta pull the boxes out of the way. It takes about 30 seconds to do that and tie them back. Here's a pic of prototype brackets...
Attached Thumbnails nx wet kit selenoids placement...pics possibly?-fusebox.jpg  
Old 08-04-2005, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robert56
I have run a couple set-ups on a couple cars on the heads and no problem with the heat (secret is to spray as often as possible). I like your rubber isolater trick though. wish I would have thought of it. Doing it this way can only help with the heat issue. Can you post a link to where you got em, as I wants some. thanks
Robert
Robert:

I found them at McMASTER-CARR.com search for isolator and go to page 1219. They have no minimum order and said there is no re-stocking on returns.

Note the silicone ones are about $5.00 and rubber ones are about 1/2 price but rubber is only rated to 150 or 160 degrees where silicone is -80 to 300 degrees. I ordered # 4403K27. They come in different hardness (durometer) I got the softer 30A thinking it might be less dense material and a little bit better insulator.

I hope to have mine this week and will do a test to see if they help if you want to wait I can let you know how they do.

Terry
Old 08-04-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Somebody09
No offense to everyone else's setups, but I never liked how the solenoids were just chilling on/around the engine. It just seemed like there was too much heat and moving parts in that general direction, so here's what I did...
I made this cute little bracket... I needed a 3 foot line for the fuel feed. The 18 in. line from NX was too short, but the 2 foot 3AN lines for solenoid-to-nozzle lines are long enough. I do have a purge which sits comfortably on top of the nitrous 'noid. I hadn't bought it at the time when these pics were taken (Dec '04 / Jan '05).
Nice work. I like the idea and placement. Very !
Old 08-04-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert:

I found them at McMASTER-CARR.com search for isolator and go to page 1219. They have no minimum order and said there is no re-stocking on returns.

Note the silicone ones are about $5.00 and rubber ones are about 1/2 price but rubber is only rated to 150 or 160 degrees where silicone is -80 to 300 degrees. I ordered # 4403K27. They come in different hardness (durometer) I got the softer 30A thinking it might be less dense material and a little bit better insulator.

I hope to have mine this week and will do a test to see if they help if you want to wait I can let you know how they do.

Terry
Oh yea, I happen to have a McMaster Carr catalog at work. We also use these type mounts, but I didn't know about the higher temp ones. To use them vertically a higher durometer is good, as I have used some this way and they droop if too soft. Thanks for the heads up.
Robert
Old 08-04-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robert56
Oh yea, I happen to have a McMaster Carr catalog at work. We also use these type mounts, but I didn't know about the higher temp ones. To use them vertically a higher durometer is good, as I have used some this way and they droop if too soft. Thanks for the heads up.
Robert
I plan to use them in a vertical position and I did think about them drooping. But the soft ones have a 15 lb. max. shear load with a max deflection of .15". I am thinking the noids will be light enough so it will be ok. But if not I will return them for harder ones as you can go up to a 50 lb. shear if needed and even higher if you use larger units.

Terry
Old 08-04-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

The insulator's showed up today. I only ordered them yesterday morning. They are a little soft but with 2 of them and as light as the noids are I think they will be fine. I will get one mounted tomorrow as a test and see how it insulates and if it gets softer when it gets hot.

More to come.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

well here is a very preliminary shot of the noids. i am sure that most of it will change with time but i guess it gives the idea.