Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise me: best setup for my 04 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Advise me: best setup for my 04 Vette

I am in need of some advice. I am just beginning to learn about Nitrous so I need some input.

I currently have a 2004 Corvette Coupe that produces over 440 RWHP and 400 RWTQ. I have a stock bottom end, AFR 205 heads (11 to 1) & cam, ported FAST intake and a Nick Williams 90mm throttle body. In addition the A4 transmission was built up by Rodney and I have 3:73 gears with a 3600 stall converter. On a good day the car turns 11.5’s at 120 on DR’s.

I do car shows and bracket race. I also do some heads up racing at track events sponsored by my club. I would like to be able to hit it with as much as a 200 shot if that’s safe.

I thought about DP and admire the setups Dave produces. However, I don’t want to lose my fuel rail covers which are colored and trimmed to match the car. These are a big plus at car shows so the TNT power ring looks interesting.

Some of you guys on this forum have a great deal of experience with these issues. What would you suggest I do?
Old 09-15-2005, 06:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked out the NEW NX maff system.It is specialy desighned for your application and is a very sexy system.It has a tps incuded with a custom built harness to make install fast and clean.All that for only 791.00.This will geive you the performance and style you are looking for.
Dave
Old 09-15-2005, 06:28 PM
FormerVendor

On a stock bottom end I do not suggest going over the 150 if you are wanting to stay in your safe zone.
Dave
Old 09-15-2005, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Have you checked out the NEW NX maff system.It is specialy desighned for your application and is a very sexy system.It has a tps incuded with a custom built harness to make install fast and clean.All that for only 791.00.This will geive you the performance and style you are looking for.
Dave
I went over to the website and took a look. It looks like a clever way to get the gas and fuel in. Would it be worth considering moving the MAF directly in front of the throttle body to keep the volitile mixture out of the air bridge. Or does it matter?

Are they using the 85mm MAF?

One other important issue to me. What additional saftey components should be added to the kit. I have seen that many of the kits are very basic. I think I would be better off with a remote fuel tank for the N2O for example. What about a controller and fuel pressure sensor. Would I need a window.

As you can see I still have lots of questions and doing it RIGHT is important to me even if it does cost more. It cost less in the long run.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

After looking at the NX MAF system closer I see it is designed for the C6. The C6 and the F-Body mount the MAF directly in front of the throttle body. On the C5 Vette they mount the MAF above and in front of the radiator at the front end of the air bridge. I am not convinced that the selonids will fit in the confined space where the stock MAF is located on the C5.

In addition the C5 and the C6 use different wiring harnesses. Has anyone put one of these on a C5? If not the power ring is looking more like the way to go.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one for the C5/Z06 coming/or here allready. Stand alone fuel cell for the c5 also, as long as your not running a Vararam. I think I'll be adding this as my 3rd stage. 200hp shot on my LS6 for sure, with stock long block.
Robert
Old 09-16-2005, 05:30 AM
11 Second Club

You could go with a simple, single nozzle setup like I'm currently running or you might want to take a look at Dave's soon-to-be-released plate system that I'm going to be switching to.

Here's a link to the thread regarding Dave's plate system and below are a couple of pics of my current NX/Nitrous Outlet setup.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide/377819-new-ls1-lt1-plate-systems.html

Old 09-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Here are some install pics on a C5 Vette. This unit was built to fit the maf unit, and shows to work really well on C5, C6, and also the 05 GTO..

Ricky
Old 09-16-2005, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Robert.We also have built a dedicated system for the Varam now.It should be getting test fitted in the next couple of days.
Dave
Old 09-16-2005, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LeMansBlue04
I went over to the website and took a look. It looks like a clever way to get the gas and fuel in. Would it be worth considering moving the MAF directly in front of the throttle body to keep the volitile mixture out of the air bridge. Or does it matter?

Are they using the 85mm MAF?

One other important issue to me. What additional saftey components should be added to the kit. I have seen that many of the kits are very basic. I think I would be better off with a remote fuel tank for the N2O for example. What about a controller and fuel pressure sensor. Would I need a window.

As you can see I still have lots of questions and doing it RIGHT is important to me even if it does cost more. It cost less in the long run.
No reason to mopve the maff closer.Where it is is fine.
Safety wise I suggest a window switch and fuel pressure safety switch.
I would look into a GENX2 package for accessories.It will have a automtaic heater,purge,fuel pressure safety switch,nitrous pressure gauge,nhra fitting and blow down tube..

With your set up it is probley time to upgrade the fuel system for a 150-200 shot. You can upgrade your stock fuel system or you can look into one of our dedicated fuel systems.
Dave
Old 09-16-2005, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

This is already turning out to be a great thread, thanks to everyone.

I really do like the clean installation the MAF based kits offers. Do they use the factory MAF as the base unit? In other words is it as reliable as the factory unit when it's not flowing NO2?

I do run a VaraRam on my car so I am curious as to why it has an impact on the installation and what I would need to consider.

I do have SVO 30# injectors on my car but I have made no fuel pump or fuel line changes. It seems like I once saw a one gallon fuel tank on Dave's site that can be mounted under the hood with a pump to supply fuel to a wet system. This would probably be more cost effective that changing my existing fuel system. If I mounted the battery in the rear maybe it could go where the battery is now.

If I opted to upgrade the cars fuel system is a new pump enough or do fuel lines and fuel rails need to be changed?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

YTou will still use your factory mass air meter.In order to adapt the NX ends on to your factory maff you will cut the ends off your unit.
AS for the dedicated system we offer for the vettes.The original unit would not fit with the Varam cold air.So we have just desighned a new unit that will.So we have you covered there.Or we can set you up with a unit that takes the place of your battery also if you plan on relocating the battery.
Dave
Old 09-17-2005, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

ttttt
Old 09-26-2005, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

After looking at the NX MAF system closer I see it is designed for the C6. The C6 and the F-Body mount the MAF directly in front of the throttle body. On the C5 Vette they mount the MAF above and in front of the radiator at the front end of the air bridge. I am not convinced that the selonids will fit in the confined space where the stock MAF is located on the C5.

In addition the C5 and the C6 use different wiring harnesses. Has anyone put one of these on a C5? If not the power ring is looking more like the way to go.
I run a set up very similar to yours and I have discovered that my older style Power ring has fitment issues with the NW 90mm TB. By issues I mean "It doesn't fit". The 90mm TB is a larger diameter than the stock so the PR needs to be honed some to properly fit over a NW 90. If someone has already solved this issue please let me know, cuz my power ring has been sitting on the work bench ever since I went to 90/90. Make sure TNT knows that you have a NW TB cuz their standard 90 design is for a GM 90MMTB.

Last edited by Sickboy; 09-26-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sickboy
I run a set up very similar to yours and I have discovered that my older style Power ring has fitment issues with the NW 90mm TB. By issues I mean "It doesn't fit". The 90mm TB is a larger diameter than the stock so the PR needs to be honed some to properly fit over a NW 90. If someone has already solved this issue please let me know, cuz my power ring has been sitting on the work bench ever since I went to 90/90. Make sure TNT knows that you have a NW TB cuz their standard 90 design is for a GM 90MMTB.
Hey thanks, I had wondered if that might be the case. I am also trying to decide how to upgrade the fuel system. Don't know about the F-Body but late model Vettes use a sealed in tank pump with the regulator being at the pump. Even with a boost-a-pump I am told it runs out of capacity at 550 FWHP. Hell, i'm already at that number now.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks, I had wondered if that might be the case. I am also trying to decide how to upgrade the fuel system. Don't know about the F-Body but late model Vettes use a sealed in tank pump with the regulator being at the pump. Even with a boost-a-pump I am told it runs out of capacity at 550 FWHP. Hell, i'm already at that number now.
That's the benifit of running the dedicated stand alone fuel cell. It has it's own pump, so your not taxing stock fuel system when spraying. It's a very trick set-up, may-be Dave can put a pic up.
Robert
Old 09-26-2005, 01:58 PM
FormerVendor

Yes we offer a complete set up for your fuel side.It comes with everything and is as simple as pop it in, hook the hose to your fuel solenoid, wire up the pump, set fuel pressure and go.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Yes we offer a complete set up for your fuel side.It comes with everything and is as simple as pop it in, hook the hose to your fuel solenoid, wire up the pump, set fuel pressure and go.
That is sweeeeet!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am in need of some advice. I am just beginning to learn about Nitrous so I need some input.

I currently have a 2004 Corvette Coupe that produces over 440 RWHP and 400 RWTQ. I have a stock bottom end, AFR 205 heads (11 to 1) & cam, ported FAST intake and a Nick Williams 90mm throttle body. In addition the A4 transmission was built up by Rodney and I have 3:73 gears with a 3600 stall converter. On a good day the car turns 11.5’s at 120 on DR’s.

I do car shows and bracket race. I also do some heads up racing at track events sponsored by my club. I would like to be able to hit it with as much as a 200 shot if that’s safe.

I thought about DP and admire the setups Dave produces. However, I don’t want to lose my fuel rail covers which are colored and trimmed to match the car. These are a big plus at car shows so the TNT power ring looks interesting.

Some of you guys on this forum have a great deal of experience with these issues. What would you suggest I do?

Well if your interested you can check out the November issue of Chevy High Performance and see in detail what TNT has to offer you.. Thanks David@TNT
Old 09-27-2005, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

That is a pretty cool setup Dave. I was looking at the car for a place to put one last weekend and this is the very spot where I thought one could be set up to fit. I have a VaraRam and it consumes more space at that location because of it's shape. Can your unit clear a VaraRam?