Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thread Sealer Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thread Sealer Question.

I was reading my NX wet kit manual and it states to use NX thread sealer on all pipe thread connections....use NO OTHER sealing compunds or Teflon tape. Should I throw up the BS flag here, saying it's a ploy just to get me to buy Their sealer. What kind of sealer do you guys use?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01_ram-air
I was reading my NX wet kit manual and it states to use NX thread sealer on all pipe thread connections....use NO OTHER sealing compunds or Teflon tape. Should I throw up the BS flag here, saying it's a ploy just to get me to buy Their sealer. What kind of sealer do you guys use?
There is no need to use thread sealer on an connections but anywhere there is a pipe thread connection we use Loctite 571 teflon paste, you can pick it up locally though is usually high in price.. Thanks David@TNT
Old 09-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

You can use standard red loctite.. The writting was so that you would not use a silicone or some other non sealing means.. Teflon past is just as good, you just have to tighten the fitting a little more..
Ricky
Old 09-16-2005, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Well, they provide more than enough sealer with their kits to complete the installation, so it wouldn't be a very effective money-making scam.

As already stated, if you do happen to run out, regular "red" Loctite is all you need.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by XTrooper
Well, they provide more than enough sealer with their kits to complete the installation, so it wouldn't be a very effective money-making scam.

As already stated, if you do happen to run out, regular "red" Loctite is all you need.
I didn't buy the kit new, so wasn't given the sealer. I was just wondering if I would need to order their special sealer or if I could buy something local.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01_ram-air
I didn't buy the kit new, so wasn't given the sealer. I was just wondering if I would need to order their special sealer or if I could buy something local.
Ahh.......I see. Well, in the new kits they do provide more than enough sealant. After I installed mine, I had a pretty good amount left over.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
You can use standard red loctite.. The writting was so that you would not use a silicone or some other non sealing means.. Teflon past is just as good, you just have to tighten the fitting a little more..
Ricky
Ricky:

Why not medium strength (blue) locktite? Isn"t that as good or better than teflon paste?

If you have to take something apart red locktite is very hard to break loose anf usually requires heat.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've been using cheap Teflon paste for years, works well and allows adjustment of fittings if you get them scewed from where you want it. Locktight when tight and in a slightly wrong angle/location you have to bust it apart and start over.
Robert
Old 09-17-2005, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

I agree. I would never use red or blue for sealing a fitting. I like the Permatex High Temp thread sealant for underhood use.

Jim
Old 09-17-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robert56
I've been using cheap Teflon paste for years, works well and allows adjustment of fittings if you get them scewed from where you want it. Locktight when tight and in a slightly wrong angle/location you have to bust it apart and start over.
Robert
Not to argue with experience or with what works. I am not saying the paste will not work but it would seem to me that locktite would work better.

Particularly with high pressure fuel or even higher perssure nitrous. Where I think it would be most beneficial is in a situation like a 90 degree bend or other fitting that must be positioned just right and it is not quite tight enough but if you tighten one more turn it is much too tight.

Medium strength locktite has worked well in the past for pipe thread on brake fittings.

Yes if you don't get it right you have to take it apart, clean it up and start over with locktite. But you should not have to do this often.

With any form of sealer I think you should be VERY careful not to let any of it get to the solenoids.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

We use teflon paste almost exclusively at work. Our hyd systems often spike to 5000psi. What you state is exactly why we don't use lock tight on fittings. Try getting a two inch or larger fitting, on a 90* day, in the proper placement before the locktight does it's thing, very hard. Now paste gives more time and you can fine tune adjustment without comprimising seal. Locktight is fine for straight fittings that you can easily wrench in. Just a preference and time saver, and has become standard practice for myself.
Robert