Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I mount my solenoids here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I mount my solenoids here?

Im looking around for a place to mount my soleniods, and after ruling out the center where the hood latch is, I decided to mount them by the fuse boxes on the drivers side. It seems to me the Aux Batt post would be perfect to bolt my bracket down to, but it's obviously a hot connection.

I was going to take the top cable off (the one coming from the battery), and the bottom one too (it's kind of hidden on the bottom but it looks to feed the other fuse box), and then wire them together, bypassing the Aux Batt post. I'm wondering though if this would cut off the power to my main fuse box (the one with the battery cable on it). Does it draw power from the Aux Batt post itself?

i.e. does the current flow like this:

Batt---> Aux Bat Post ---> Second Fuse box
...................|.............................. .........
...................V.............................. .........
..........Main Fuse Box...............................

If it does, can I still mount the noids on top of the hot Aux Batt terminal? I'm assuming not, but I thought I'd ask anyways. If I can't, would a rubber grommet placed in the mounting bracket's bolt hole be sufficient to make this safe?
Old 10-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Restricted User

What kind of noids are you mounting? Why mount them there? I used a piece of left over alum. from an old project, drilled the noid bolt holes, and then bend it so I could bolt to the side of the ABS module. Kept it out of the way, and wasnt tied into any 12v source. Flip through the pages you will find loads with pics. GL.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Dynotune fuel and nitrous ones.

As far as why... when I was fishing around for a good mounting location, I had the soleniod assembly in my hands and I was moving them around to see where they would fit. When I got to the spot I thought was the best I looked down and the bracket hole and the aux batt terminal were almost perfectly lined up. The post is sturdy, yet only connected to the chassis by plastic (no direct heat transfer), away from the vibrations of the engine, not close to any direct heat sources, and they're tucked away neatly in a corner where I can even place a covering over them to keep uninformed peace officers at bay. Most importantly, all the fuel and nitrous lines can reach their appropriate destinations without having to extend them, or tie up a bunch of loose hose.

I don't know, that was just my thinking.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of car do you have?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable mounting them like that. I would think that since you have a ground wire coming off the solenoids themselves, the current would flow through them and cause them to stick open and likely overheat them and ruin them.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

electricity flow in every direction it flows from the alternator to battery and fuse box in no particular way it sort of like they are all one if you hook them all back up and just use the bracket that the post is on it will not effect anything but why dont you just mount your noids on the firewall or inner fenderlip or any where i wouldnt mess with the aux post in my opinion.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Launching!

I mounted mine to the bolts that stick out of the wheel well. The ones used for the shock tower. All you need is a couple washers and and 2 nuts. Its never gets hot and its out the way. In fact I put black tape around them and people dont even notice it most of the time.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

My bad, I didn't read where you were going to disconnect the hot wire to the aux post. It seems like it'd work, I still wouldn't do it. You could always do it the way that I did with my 5177 kit, mount the solenoids in the font bumper support. Just pull out the washer resevoir and mount them to the metal support, put the resevoir back in and you won't see them at all.