Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous solenoid getting hot.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous solenoid getting hot.

I installed a NX kit and the nitrous solenoid is getting real hot. I have it ground at the same place the fuel solenoid is, and its not hot at all. I also have the purge solenoid grounded at the same spot as well. I disconnected the solenoid and it remaind hot then I disconnected the power to the purge. Then it finally started to cool down. I dunno if that had anything to do with it or not. The purge solenoid was a little hot as well, but not as hot as the nitrous solenoid was. Any ideas?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

you might have your wires crossed or mixed.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Where did you mount the solenoids at? Unless there is some way you wired the nitrous solenoid to a more constant power than the others, motor heat would be my guess.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Was fuel running through the noid? How long was the noid open?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Where did you mount the solenoids at? Unless there is some way you wired the nitrous solenoid to a more constant power than the others, motor heat would be my guess.
Exactly what I'm thinking. They are stainless steel so they are going to get hot from the underhood temperatures. From what I understand, this is completely normal and they are made to take it so relax! The constant power part would not make sense at all by the way.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

All solenoids get hot
Old 10-02-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Mine are always freezing cold. Even the fuel solenoid.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thsi sound like a bad ground.Either clean your grounding surface better or find a new one.Also make sure all your wires have good connections.Then check your wiring.If ITs any of the baove it will smoke the solenoid.
Dave
Old 10-02-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Thsi sound like a bad ground.Either clean your grounding surface better or find a new one.Also make sure all your wires have good connections.Then check your wiring.If ITs any of the baove it will smoke the solenoid.
Dave
That is what I was thinking. I talked to him tonight and he is going to try and use a separate ground for each solenoid. At the moment he has three seperate grounds going to the connector and post.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

We had the car running for less than 30 sec. and the fuel solenoid was cold. The nitrous solenoid got hot. I would think if it was engine heat both solenoids would get hot. It was so hot it was hard to keep your hand on it.

Chad, I am willing to bet it is the ground as Dave mentioned, and as we discussed. Its just strange the other solenoids were ok, and the solenoid even open and closed.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

The only way it will be wiring or grounds is if its getting hot during use.If the system is off and its getting hot its engine bay heat.All the grounds in one spot are fine.Just make sure its a good grounding spot and clean.
Dave
Old 10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
10 Second Club

Ok I cleaned the area I used to ground the solenoid, and I even gave it its own connection. I tested the system and both solenoids are working fine, but the nitrous solenoid is still getting very hot. I have the braket mounted to a bolt off one of the coil packs, where mines located. I have never had a problem with my solenoid getting hot. The solenoid in question got so hot lastnight you could barely touch it, yet the fuel solenoid was fine. The nitrous solenoid must be bad for it to get that hot.

Like I said in my first post, as I was testing the system the fuel solenoid was cool and the nitrous solenoid got hot, and the hood was up, and the engine was on for maybe 30 seconds.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

It sound like a wiring issue.It will not hurt to send it in and have it checked though.
Dave
Old 10-05-2005, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

A wiring issue on my part? I mean wiring a solenoid is a no brainer. I have done my fair share of nitrous installs. This is the first time a solenoid has gotten this hot on me, and this is a brand new NX kit.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry.Not trying to offend you.Im just saying in the past.Problems like this have always traced back to wiring.In some cases a bad activation switch. After rereading and thinking more.Since only the nitrous solenoid is getting hot and all grounds check out good,wiring connections check out good Im stumped...The only thing I can think of is maybe the coil is defective.Call Josh at NX and get a RGA number.THis way you can send the solenoid in for inspection.Let him know that I talked to him about you already.When Ricky gets in today I will direct him to this link.
Thanks
Dave
Old 10-05-2005, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

I wasn't offended at all. I was just wanting to make sure I didn't misunderstand you.

Thank you for the help. I'll get ahold of the solenoid by this weekend, but I'll call Josh soon. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Nitrous solenoid getting hot.