Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide band AFR question before and after cats

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide band AFR question before and after cats

I would like to put a wide band on my 02 Z06. FJO tells you to put the 02 sensor at least 18 inches from the exhaust valve but in front of the cats. Room is limited and the pipe ahead of the cats is double wall making installing the 02 sensor ahead of the cats not very practicle.

FJO says some newer cats have little effect on the AFR but some can cause the reading to be off by as much as 1 AFR.

Has anyone done any comparison readings on an 02 Z06 to see what the difference in readings is between before the cats and after the cats? If I knew the difference then I would know how to compensate the tune having the 02 sensor after the cats.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Mines mounted where my cats should be. If possible, mount closest to the factory front O2, for the most accurate reading
Old 10-22-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have ask this question before on this site and nobody knew the answer.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Mount it before the cat! We sell the Innovate widebands, you should really check them out at www.dynotunenitrous.com

Mount the sensor in front of the cat, run the controller up to the top of the torque tube plate. Its real clean when using the innovate controller and the dynotune digital gauge plus the whole package is only $269 with a 2 1/16 billet round gauge or $249 with a square gauge.
Installed on of these kits on a 03 zo6 and its still working great!

Cheers

Dan

Last edited by DynotuneN2O; 10-23-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O
Mount it before the cat! We sell the Innovate widebands, you should really check them out at www.dynotunenitrous.com

Mount the sensor in front of the cat, run the controller up to the top of the torque tube plate. Its real clean when using the innovate controller and the dynotune digital gauge plus the whole package is only $269 with a 2 1/16 billet round gauge or $249 with a square gauge.
Installed on of these kits on a 03 zo6 and its still working great!

Cheers

Dan
Dan thanks for the reply. I need to get under the car and look again, but I didn't think there is much room there. How did you deal with the double wall pipe? Can the Inovate let you select an AFR so if it gets leaner that the selected AFR it will shut the nitrous system down?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The innovative unit just reads and can record wideband and other assorted optional inputs like rpm. It does not have programmable outputs. I believe some of the nitrous controllers had that option and would work with specific wideband o2's. The before and after cat reading was pretty close, but not the same delta all the time. I would definitely stick to the front side of the cat to avoid problems.

Quick Reply: Wide band AFR question before and after cats