Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does nitrous work on a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How does nitrous work on a manual?

I dont really know much about nitrous yet, but i was under the impression that there was a switch that mounts behind the throttle (carb. car) and when the pedal is floored it hits this switch to keep the nitrous coming. My question is, how does this work on a manual when you have to release your foot from the gas to shift?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

The nitrous then turns off. Also, most manual cars running nitrous use a window switch. This protects you from a missed shift as well as not letting the juice come on too early which can also cause trouble.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i searched and it appears that it shuts the nitrous off at a certain rpm. Does this tie in with the tach/coil lead? Also does this work in conjunction with the wot switch, or does it turn off at a certain point and on at a certain point?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

A window switch works with a WOT. The WOT makes sure the throttle is completely depressed, the window switch makes sure the on time is at the proper RPM, usually on at 3000 RPM and off "close" to redline, usually a few hundred short of redline for safety. A window switch is adjustable to what range of RPM you think you may need. Without a window switch, if you missed a gear the RPM's would go up so fast that it would be too easy to over-rev. Even the fuel cut-off or rev limiter could possibly be over-ridden by the jucie/gas staying on causing damage. At the lower RPM (under 3000) you could possibly "pool" fuel due to low air velocity and cause a nitrous backfire. Si as you see the window switch is a must for a manual.
On my Z, the window switch is on at 3000 RPM, the shift light comes on at 6300 RPM, the window switch is off at 6400 RPM and my redline is at 6700 RPM.
Hope this helps...
Old 11-06-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
Well i searched and it appears that it shuts the nitrous off at a certain rpm. Does this tie in with the tach/coil lead? Also does this work in conjunction with the wot switch, or does it turn off at a certain point and on at a certain point?
The window switch takes it's signal from the tach lead. You select a rpm at which it will allow the nitrous to flow and you select a rpm at which it will shut the nitrous off. Most say to set the lower limit at 3,000 rpm and you set the upper limit around 6,000 rpm on a stock motor.

The wot switch (or TPS for drive by wire cars) will only let the nitrous spray if you are at wide open throttle and the window switch only lets you spray of you are between the rpm limits that you set. The 2 units work together.

You can buy some units that have a window switch and TPS in the same unit.

Airwolf beat me to it and gave a better explanation.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, it all makes much more sense now. Thanks for the good explanation guys.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

good stuff...i wanted to know some of that too.