Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet Kit - What if n2o Stops Spraying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Wet Kit - What if n2o Stops Spraying?

Was reading over a sticky in the Newbie forum, and I've got a (probably dumb) question involving nitrous.
Originally Posted by So You Wanna Be Fast... by Jaberwaki
If your nitrous stops spraying but the fuel does not, then it will puddle and possibly introduce you to your hood-- the hard way... If the fuel side cuts out but the nitrous side does not, then you will go drastically lean and blow your motor. Threat of these things can be minimized.
To prevent the motor from leaning out on n2o, I'll be running a fuel pressure safety switch.

How can I prevent the motor from "possibly introducing me to my hood" if the n20 stops spraying and the fuel doesn't?

I will be running a 150-200 shot TNT wet kit, and I will spend every dollar I have to in order to keep this kit as SAFE as humanly possible. I do not want to go Direct Port.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

I believe the car will just go really rich, similiar to the bogging feeling you get when your bottle hits empty.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

i don't have any insight for you, but keep us updated on your progress. I have the same cam and i'm goin with the same no2 kit....interested in #'s after you install it. Are you goin with bigger injectors along with a new FP or just a new pump?
Old 11-18-2005, 11:32 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

It's happened to me several times. The engine feels like it boogs down, misses, runs like ****. It's real obvious. The real danger is the fuel solenoid not opening while the N2O soleniod is open. Can you say meltdown.
Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Was reading over a sticky in the Newbie forum, and I've got a (probably dumb) question involving nitrous.To prevent the motor from leaning out on n2o, I'll be running a fuel pressure safety switch.

How can I prevent the motor from "possibly introducing me to my hood" if the n20 stops spraying and the fuel doesn't?

I will be running a 150-200 shot TNT wet kit, and I will spend every dollar I have to in order to keep this kit as SAFE as humanly possible. I do not want to go Direct Port.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99socalFRC
I believe the car will just go really rich, similiar to the bogging feeling you get when your bottle hits empty.
This is what I'm trying to avoid! I assume this leads to fuel puddling in the intake and then KABOOM, correct?

Isn't running the bottle until it is empty very, very dangerous?
Originally Posted by oodahss
i don't have any insight for you, but keep us updated on your progress. I have the same cam and i'm goin with the same no2 kit....interested in #'s after you install it. Are you goin with bigger injectors along with a new FP or just a new pump?
I won't have numbers until next March, this is going to be an ongoing parts sourcing throughout the winter and then a tune in early spring. I want 600whp with this cam, full bolt ons, M6 and 10 bolt w/ 4.10 gears. I'll keep upping the shot until I get it or blow the motor. Since I'm going with a wet kit, I plan on upgrading the fuel pump and keeping my stock injectors.
Originally Posted by bickelfirebird
It's happened to me several times. The engine feels like it boogs down, misses, runs like ****. It's real obvious. The real danger is the fuel solenoid not opening while the N2O soleniod is open. Can you say meltdown.
When this happens you just kill the nitrous and the bog goes away, correct? Do you foul plugs each time? Is there no real danger in this happening? Seems to me that this would be a good way to blow an intake manifold off a motor.

Would the Fuel Pressure Safety Switch not sense that the fuel solenoid isn't open, and kill the process? Is there anything on the market that could prevent your scenario from coming to a head?

Last edited by JoeyAnderson; 11-18-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Fuel puddling has todo with your size of shot and airflow, the same amount of fuel will be entered into the intake track with or without nitrous, if you have suffecient airflow the fuel will proceed to the engine, if not Kaboom. So your chances of blowing a manifold off are unchanged with or without Nitrous in the system. I dont think running the bottle all the way empty is too dangerous, like the other guys said the vehicle pretty much falls on its face and you know it is time for a refill.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

to your first questions....the nos noid not coming on and it just srpaying fuel shouldnt hurt anything as long as you dont stay in it for very long...only thing i could think Of would be you washing out your cylinders but it would take alot of fuel on a continuous bassis for this to happen.
as far as something to sense when your fuel noid doesnt work...HarrisSpeedWorks nos controller, the edge, has a air/fuel sensor capable of detecting a drop in air fuel at your determined rate, it shuts everything down if that happens. the FPSS only shuts it down if it senses a loss in fuel pressure which will be before the noid...nothing afterward.
hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99socalFRC
Fuel puddling has todo with your size of shot and airflow, the same amount of fuel will be entered into the intake track with or without nitrous, if you have suffecient airflow the fuel will proceed to the engine, if not Kaboom. So your chances of blowing a manifold off are unchanged with or without Nitrous in the system. I dont think running the bottle all the way empty is too dangerous, like the other guys said the vehicle pretty much falls on its face and you know it is time for a refill.

What he said
Old 11-19-2005, 05:41 AM
TECH Junkie

The car will bog down harming nothing....in fact I used to bleed out the line from my bottle opener like this before I got a purge on a regular basis. It also works to check fuel noid operation.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Was reading over a sticky in the Newbie forum, and I've got a (probably dumb) question involving nitrous.To prevent the motor from leaning out on n2o, I'll be running a fuel pressure safety switch.

Thanks in advance!
It's a hell of a feeling when the motor loads up with fuel. If it does shut off nitrous and run the motor until it smooths out. A way to be safe is to use gauges for N20 and Puel Pressure.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would be concerned about the N20 noid not turning off when the fuel does, that is a sure KABOOM!
Old 11-19-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

One area that could be a problem if you flood your intake, is after you shut down and fuel starts to evaporate and then upon restarting with high over lap cam. This can introduce the spark needed. there are other scenerios also. But as stated it's generally not a problem (get it shut off fast as possible). however, intake/hood removal does infact happen occassionaly and it is a fuel vapor in the intake issue with puddling possibly being fuel for the fire/explosion.
Robert
Old 11-19-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Ever turn the key off on an old carbed SBC while at WOT...Leave it off for a second then turn the key back on. WHAM! I used to scare the crap out of people in high school all the time. I've seen backfires happen with both dry and wet kits, it usually happens after a lean event melts some spark electrodes and causes ignition problems. This is why it is so important to have a properly functioning ignition system and spark plugs with nitrous.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:26 PM
9 Second Club

Running out of nitrous won't hurt - however, what I do at the end of every pass (and if it runs the bottle low) is keep the pedal on the floor and reach down quickly and shut the arming switch off - the velocity of air at WOT cleans the excess fuel out of the intake and you have less chance of any problems when you let out of it. I have never once gotten the popping that a lot of nitrous cars get when they let out after the traps.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Ever turn the key off on an old carbed SBC while at WOT...Leave it off for a second then turn the key back on. WHAM! I used to scare the crap out of people in high school all the time. I've seen backfires happen with both dry and wet kits, it usually happens after a lean event melts some spark electrodes and causes ignition problems. This is why it is so important to have a properly functioning ignition system and spark plugs with nitrous.
Yea we used to do that as kids. we lived on the hills above the flood plain and when going down these hills, which were very steep, we would turn ign off and coast for a bit, then turn key back on, boooooom. split many a muffler apart. the worst one I did i was still in High school and driving my parents '64 ford fairlane and blew the muffler right off, needless to say, my driving of their cars was very limited after that.
You've seen intake backfires with a dry hit? Where is the fuel vapor coming from in enough quanity (inside the intake track) to remove a intake? Not trying to be a donk, just want to hear.
Robert
Old 11-20-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Robert56
Yea we used to do that as kids. we lived on the hills above the flood plain and when going down these hills, which were very steep, we would turn ign off and coast for a bit, then turn key back on, boooooom. split many a muffler apart. the worst one I did i was still in High school and driving my parents '64 ford fairlane and blew the muffler right off, needless to say, my driving of their cars was very limited after that.
You've seen intake backfires with a dry hit? Where is the fuel vapor coming from in enough quanity (inside the intake track) to remove a intake? Not trying to be a donk, just want to hear.
Robert
I havent seen any kit remove an intake on an ls1 based engine.

I blew up a few mufflers as well as cracking sbc intakes with that stunt. Its better than the train horn mod.