Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building the SAFEST Wet Kit Possible

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Building the SAFEST Wet Kit Possible

I've been doing a little research both here and on other forums, and I'm trying to create the absolute SAFEST 150-200hp Wet Kit possible. These are the items I'm considering purchasing, please add in/comment/criticize at will.
The car will be dynotuned immediately after the n2o install.

I do not want to go Direct Port, and I think the Air/Fuel Ratio Nitrous shut-down switch will save me the expense of a Wideband A/F gauge since it reads off of the stock o2s.

What am I leaving out? Thanks guys!

Last edited by JoeyAnderson; 10-09-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
I've been doing a little research both here and on other forums, and I'm trying to create the absolute SAFEST 150-200hp Wet Kit possible. These are the items I'm considering purchasing, please add in/comment/criticize at will.
The car will be dynotuned immediately after the n2o install.

I do not want to go Direct Port, and I think the Air/Fuel Ratio Nitrous shut-down switch will save me the expense of a Wideband A/F gauge since it reads off of the stock o2s.

Have you upgraded the fuel pump yet??
Old 11-21-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Yes! I forgot to add that - I'll edit the post now. Thanks David! I'll be private messaging you some more, I'm sure.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes! I forgot to add that - I'll edit the post now. Thanks David! I'll be private messaging you some more, I'm sure.
Look forward to hearing from ya, and you should definately post up the dyno results!! You wont be dissapointed, thanks David@TNT
Old 11-21-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

We should all know that no kit is really safe and especially not the wet kits flowing through an intake designed for dry flow. What you worry about most is fuel distribution and some cylinders leaning out.
Devices are not the answer to safety.

The AFR from a WBO2 will be an average, and will not reliably show distribution problems.

If I had no choice but to run a wet kit through an LS1 intake I'd take these steps:
First I'd handle at least part of the extra fueling via the injectors to take a percentage of the distribution error out of the equation. I'd keep the AFR securely on the rich side, and adjust spark advance for such.
I'd also probably run a higher bottle pressure while rejetting to take this into account.... this in an effort to maximize fuel atomization by adding more energy to the point of mixing, though this is a little questionable to expect positive results.
Keep a very close eye on the sparkplugs. A closer gap might save you from a problem.
Also keep a close eye on the valve-springs. Take steps to avoid valve bounce & float from the start. Make sure the valves seal well, and keep the overlap period to a minimum.

-JMO
Old 11-21-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

.double post
Old 11-21-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your list looks good. The only "other" item you could think about is a second nitrous solenoid running in series with the first. This would be an extra safety item to be sure the nitrous was off when the system was off. I personally don't run this type of setup but you said "SAFE", and this would give another step in protection...
Old 11-21-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what's been said on the tuning. I believe this to be the biggest safety factor, making sure everything is right on.
Airwolf, I have a slightly different idea about running redundant noids on a wet kit. I think the benifit is out weighed by the fact that you will double the chance of no n2o flow at all if failure happens? Others thoughts?
Robert
Old 11-21-2005, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

The SAFE kit request is very common. This system is fine, but don't fool yourself into believing this is any SAFER than say an NX or nitrousoutlet in house or NOS or anything else. Like the say about guns...it's as safe as the owner.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the great replies guys! Keep 'em coming.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Robert,If you have no n2o flow, what will that hurt other than your time and speed? What would the extra fuel do? It seems like I recently saw a post where someone had a noid stick open. It would seem to me that 2 n2o noids would be the safest. JMO
Old 11-22-2005, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

I agree with Robert, redundant solenoids on a wet system are not needed IMO. To answer Go Fast's question about what too much fuel can do. Too much fuel can cause damage the same as not having enough fuel, and not having any nitrous flow while the fuel solenoid is operating could lead to this problem.

JoeyAnderson- Your list looks pretty good, and you'll be happy with the TNT system.

I do have to agree with White2001s10 and remind all of us that using nitrous can be dangerous if certain procedures and parts are not used, and that one of the best things a person can do to make a system safer is to have it properly installed/tuned. However, I would have to say that wet systems can be just as safe, or as dangerous, as dry systems regardless of the fact that a wet system is flowing fuel through the intake. Since no intake was ever designed to flow liquid through it, I think that is kind of a mute point, but that's a completely differenct topic that can be found on here using the search feature. lol.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Go Faster
Robert,If you have no n2o flow, what will that hurt other than your time and speed? What would the extra fuel do? It seems like I recently saw a post where someone had a noid stick open. It would seem to me that 2 n2o noids would be the safest. JMO
Just look at a backfire from flooding a car. Then with that scenerio think of our manifolds being plastic and no where for the expolsion to go. Granted, most guys that have this problem just pump the extra fuel out the exhaust. But then there's the chance a number of issues could ignite any left behind vapors. IMO, I would like to not have to deal with fuel that isn't being totaly atomized with the help of the 1000psi n2o spray.
Robert
Old 11-22-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't forget a good nitrous filter to reduce the risk of a nitrous solenoid stickong open.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Have you looked at the dynotune bottle opener?I think its cheaper and has a real nice billet handle that comes with it.

I've been doing a little research both here and on other forums, and I'm trying to create the absolute SAFEST 150-200hp Wet Kit possible. These are the items I'm considering purchasing, please add in/comment/criticize at will.The car will be dynotuned immediately after the n2o install.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm still kinda new to the nitrous thing but how about another fuel filter before the fuel solinoid, would I't be to much fuel resistance? I wouldnt mind keeping my fuel jets clean. Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

On a side note, ur gonna love that TNT kit!!!!! It hits so hard!!!! I put 220 to the wheels on a 200 shot TNT through a turbo 400, heavy duty steel driveshaft, and a 12-bolt!
Old 11-24-2005, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Originally Posted by ws6sojuiced01
Have you looked at the dynotune bottle opener?I think its cheaper and has a real nice billet handle that comes with it.
Unfortunately, at this time the Dynotune opener won't work with the TNT bottle. I have PMed Dean@DynoTune, and he's working hard to produce an opener that will work for me (and all other TNT'ers). He should know something in about a week. It says alot that Dynotune is that motivated to work so hard for a first time customer (me!). NitroDave and David@TNT have also been VERY helpful to me via Private Message. I'm excited about giving them all business.
Originally Posted by terry s
Don't forget a good nitrous filter to reduce the risk of a nitrous solenoid stickong open.
A filter comes with the TNT kit - will that be sufficient?
Old 11-24-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies guys!Unfortunately, at this time the Dynotune opener won't work with the TNT bottle. I have PMed Dean@DynoTune, and he's working hard to produce an opener that will work for me (and all other TNT'ers). He should know something in about a week. It says alot that Dynotune is that motivated to work so hard for a first time customer (me!). NitroDave and David@TNT have also been VERY helpful to me via Private Message. I'm excited about giving them all business.A filter comes with the TNT kit - will that be sufficient?
Yep, the best nitrous forum on the internet.
Robert
Old 11-24-2005, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

If you are using a FAST intake, add some burst valves to your list....