Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get 3/16" metal purge pipe? how do you bend it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to get 3/16" metal purge pipe? how do you bend it?

I have the purge tube (think it is 3/16") that came with my Nitro Dave's Big Show Purge.

Part of the metal tube is rubbing under my fuel rail covers and vibrating which makes a ticking noise inside my cabin. When I hold the tube it goes away.
Also the tip of the tube needs to stick out more from the hole I cut in my plastic winshield base so the purge doesn't hit my winshield wiper. If it stuck out another inch it wouldn't

I need to just get a longer purge tube that is longer and bend it correctly so it doesn't rub to get it perfect.

Questions:

Where do I get the metal pipe that came with my kit?

Should I use anything else (different material) that is easier to work with?

How the hell do I bend this stuff? (Do I need an expensive bender?)

How is the metal tube attached to my purge solenoid? Is it just wedged in there, or what (I didn't install it so I am not sure?)

Thanks

Gary
Old 11-24-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use, copper, SS, aluim, plastic or braided. I chose plastic for the problems you have. No noise, easy to run and works well because it's open ended and see's no real pressure. Just take your current set-up and head to hardware store and tell them you want to change to a plastic tubing or copper or...
Robert
Old 11-24-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

I just went down to Checkers and they have 6' sections of Stainless Steel 3/16" brake line. That and a $6 bender from the same store and you're golden.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

forgot to answer your last question. There's a flare on both ends of the brake tubing that I bought. I cut one of the flares off and slid the fitting for the purge valve over this end all the way to the other side. It'll screw right in then.

I was originally going to add a flare back to the other end once I slid the fitting over, but the cheapo tool they sold at Checkers couldn't flare out the SS. I ended up just using a drill bit and drilling out the end a little bit so the sidewall was thinner.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Guys! What the heck is checkers? I am in Texas, not sure if we have that store here?

Robert how do you use plastic? Is it the 3/16" Plastic or the larger size? whatever I use has to fit into the purge solenoid which I though had that 3?16" hole in it????

Yeah I looked my end on the solenoid has a flair at teh end with a nut over it that locks it in place.

What Texas store will have a bender? Or I can use the plastic. Dave's Kit Came with black Plastic tubing and also a 2 1/2 foot steel hard line. Don't have thge plastic anymore though.

That metal was vibrating and making all sorts of noise, maybe plastic would be better.

ANY DIFFERENCE in purge quality etc with plastic vs. Metal?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Checkers is the game with the plastic disks and a two-toned board..... duh

No, it's actually an Autoparts store like (hoping you've heard of some of these) Napa, AutoZone, Kragens, O'Rieleys, etc. I use them because they're literally right around the corner from me, but I'm sure any auto parts store you go to will have tubing benders. If not, Harbor Freight has them or you can order online. I got the el cheapo one, which basically looks like the rim of a bicycle, scaled down many fold, and then mounted on a teardrop shaped piece of steel. Hard to explain, but you'll know when you see it.

I use SS hardline on my purge kit because I was afraid of plastic melting, I wanted a more permanate solution, and most importantly because it looked wicked sick when I was done. Before I relocated them to near my TB, my 'noids were in the front driver's side, in the space between the fuse boxes and radiator. I bent the tubing a few times to get it up and over from my purge valve, and it followed the contour of the driver's side quarter panel up past my cowl, and turned straight up in the air past the edge of my hood. It shot the n20 from the gap in between the hood, windshield, and side mirror. That's still my favorite purge spot.

Anyways, I'm sure you can use either, but I'm an overkill kind of guy, and plastic line just looks amateur to me. I heard hardlines give a bigger cloud too.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you say SS Lines, do you mean the SS Braided Nitorus lines that are flexible or do you mean SS 3/16" hard metal lines like I have now that require a bender to bend?

You knwo like the brake lines?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you decide plastic,as long as you don't have it on the exhaust it will not melt. Just tske your fitting out of your purge noide along with line and take to the hardware store and tell them you want this in black plastic, I believe it's pcv type. It routes very nice and blends in on the vette engine compartment. SS hard line is to bulky and hard to work with for this, imo. Painted black copper tube is an option. One thing to keep in mind is having a section higher than noid. When washing your car, if line is down hill all the way to noid you can get water into your noid.
Robert
Old 11-25-2005, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

Dude, go to NAPA, get a 3/16" brake line, bend it with your bare hands since it's fairly soft metal, and use a 3/16" compression fitting (got mine from a local auto parts store - Bennet Auto Supply), and use the supplied nut/fitting to tighten it down.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MattZ28
Dude, go to NAPA, get a 3/16" brake line, bend it with your bare hands since it's fairly soft metal, and use a 3/16" compression fitting (got mine from a local auto parts store - Bennet Auto Supply), and use the supplied nut/fitting to tighten it down.
Not to be a donk, but who is going to use some rusty looking crap hole'o steel brake line on a Corvette?
Robert
Old 11-25-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

The same person who might use it on a camaro.

Last edited by BackinBlack02SS; 11-25-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL I know what Robert means, some people including Camaro guys are very paticular about their cars. Robert means nothing bad by the comment.

I just need it to be longer as the hole cut in the plastic winshield plastic trim where the 3/16" Metal Line pops out, just barely clears the hole and sometimes when I purge it pushes it back down. Plus whenever it was touching something under the fuel rail covers it was AMPLIFYING a "tick, tick, tick, tick" noise inside the cabin.

My Purge is hidden under my fuel rail cover basically so maybe that brake line might work since the only part that will be visable is the tip that sticks out from the hole in my plastic windshield trim.

The SS Metal line I have now is hard as crud and it is impossible to bend without a bending tool.

Thanks

Here is a pic of my set up just FYI so you guys can see.

My purge is on the pass side of the fuel rail cover. The current Metal 3/16" SS Line connects to the Purge Solenoid basically where the "E" is on the Corvette Fuel Rail Cover, underneath of course

Then the hold for the purge is basically in the middle of the windshield and shoots up in the air.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know about the plastic line from the hardware store that Robert used. I think that may be poly line. I used some 3/16" tubing that we used to use for hydraulic brakes. I believe it is nylon. It is pretty tough stuff. You can get it where they sell hydraulic hoses etc. It comes in different wall thicknesses. I used the 7/64" ID size.

Very easy to work with. If you need to make a formed curve bend it into the shape you want, heat it with a heat gun and than cool the line with a damp rag. The line will then keep it's shape. You can use 3/16" compression ferrels just like you use on metal line.

The electronoics supply place here sells heatshrink tubing in 4 ft. lengths in all kinds of sizes, and you can get different colors. (Gary you will need red ) I put black over mine where it shows. The tubing is kind of a off white color.

Last edited by terry s; 11-26-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Terry that sounds very cool!!!!!!!! I wonder where I would get that tubing here in Texas. Is there a specific name or brand?

Is there a link on-line so I know what the heck you are talking about?

If you see one let me know, that sounds cool.

Thanks

You said, "the electronoics supply place here". Which one might that be?

Last edited by 2001 Red Coupe Bandit; 11-26-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found the heat shrink tubing at Electronics Supply Company Inc. www.eskc.com

They were in the phone book under Electronic Equip & Supplies Dealers. They had heat shrink from about 1/16" up to 2" or so. I quickly looked on line but I did not see it. Give them a call. Tell them you want the heat shrink that they have in a big box on their floor where you come in to their counter. The small sizes are about $1.60 or so each and the prices go up for the larger sizes.

The tubing I had left over from my road race go kart days. I think there should be some go kart shops in Dallas. It is used for brake line on race karts. But I have bought it at a hydraulic supply place before.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

There may even be some at your local hardware shop like home depot and lowes. Theyll be in the plumbing section where you can even find some NPT fittings.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Not to be a donk, but who is going to use some rusty looking crap hole'o steel brake line on a Corvette?
Robert

It's barely visible, and it hasn't rusted in the 6 months it's been on my car.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Just thought I'd throw this in -

In a pinch, the closed end of a wrench will make a decend bending tool. Just slip it around the line and gently make small bends, tighter turns obviously need bends close together.

That's how I bent my purge lines.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 11-27-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

I used refrigerater line from Lowes when I made my twin purge.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is why this forum is so great; so many people doing the same thing different ways. Excellent. Too cool...

Quick Reply: Where to get 3/16" metal purge pipe? how do you bend it?