Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We decided to test the limits of dry nitrous this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default We decided to test the limits of dry nitrous this weekend.

Well this weekend I pushed my dry setup to it's limits and it tried my patience. Maxed out my MAF yesterday and tried to work around it. Attempted to decrease tq, but the lowest I could get it on both stages was 710rwtq and that was spraying much later than I would like. Well traction was always an issue, but I tried to work around it via tuning and because this is my first time tuning such a setup with such a big dry shot I was not successful. I need to make a few changes to get things to work right. First I need to find a street tire combo that would work for my setup. Then I need to switch my second stage to a wet kit or direct port. In the last two days we have sprayed more nitrous thru my car than I have done in the last 3 years of running nitrous on various setups. I have to give Futral Motorsports much props for building such a setup... Some of you know I switched to 60lb injectors and they work great. I have the new two stage Progressive Controller and man does it work great. The problem I ran into was running a progressive dry shot. The maf does not like it for some reason, but I managed to tune it. The first stage maxed out the maf per logging and the dynograph. Second stage was just there for a lil more top end pull. On 100 octane and reduced timing the car did a max of 310rwhp with a 350 dry shot. This is with cutouts closed. I could have picked up the entire 350rwhp if I opened them, but I tuned the car with cutout closed. I dont recommend doing what I did.. I was just testing the waters and looking for an excuse to go turbo Has anyone else made over 800rwhp on dry nitrous? It feels good.. Oh!! Did I mention this was on a mustang dyno loaded to 3700lbs!!

Now I need to change my second stage to wet or direct port. I could have pushed the car more if I had 110 octane, but I could not find any today. I am not going to post the new numbers because there is a troll out there waiting to race me..
Old 11-26-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW you're making some nice power! Glad to see you're looking at a 2nd stage wet or direct.. you really should check out our direct port system it's really sweet with nozzles that plug directly into your fuel injector ports!

Direct Port Nitrous Kit

Check it out and pm, email or call i'd love to help ya out
Old 11-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by NitrousDirect
WOW you're making some nice power! Glad to see you're looking at a 2nd stage wet or direct.. you really should check out our direct port system it's really sweet with nozzles that plug directly into your fuel injector ports!

Direct Port Nitrous Kit

Check it out and pm, email or call i'd love to help ya out
That looks like the perfect solution for my setup. I will shoot you a PM for sure.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Restricted User

Vince, very nice. I plan on doing the maf maxing dry soon as well. Do you know how much was required to max it out? I am in the mix of running either a 2 stage dry followed by wet 3rd, or just go with a little 200 dry first with a 100+ wet for second. And what is the rest of your exhaust setup other than the Kooks?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by CAT3
Vince, very nice. I plan on doing the maf maxing dry soon as well. Do you know how much was required to max it out? I am in the mix of running either a 2 stage dry followed by wet 3rd, or just go with a little 200 dry first with a 100+ wet for second. And what is the rest of your exhaust setup other than the Kooks?
I have Kooks all the way to the Z06 catback. This is what I have learned about maxing out the MAF with dry nitrous. The last time I maxed it out it was at 760rwhp with the 42lb Injectors. This time it maxed sooner with the 60lb injectors. I hit it with a 175 shot and it was MAXED!!. My car was just over 700rwhp depending on the tune I was using yesterday. When I had it super rich it was maxed at 675rwhp. I was getting so frustrated because things were not making sense. It is much harder to tune a HUGE Dry shot in my opinion. Smaller dry shots are easy, but if I may recommend a better setup if you are going to go over a 200 dry. Make the second stage a wet.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:35 PM
Restricted User

Thanks Vince. I am seriously thinking of running a multi discharge dry off the line (single stage) of around 200 followed by a MSD Adjustable WS set NX Plate for another 100-150.

I hope to have my Kooks 1 7/8" headers back on in a couple weeks, sending them back for a few issues to be fixed. They will plumb into a Corsa catback, but not sure on whether to add a cutout, dual cutouts or leave it through the pipes. Are you running a single Walbro 255L intank with your 60's? I am running the intank Walbro with 42lb'ers, hence why I am seriously thinking of the Plate second stage. Of course, with your stroker you have the advantage of using less to make the same as my lil cube 347. Mahalo's.

Charlie
Old 11-27-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vince, If you guys use a Z06 maf and tables the cieling is higher (maybe you are).
Your tuning issue with dry as progressive is the reason I am going 3 stage. I am on a stock longblock, so I should be able to do a 200/250 no sweat. Some nice numbers though.
V6 Bird and 383lq4ss, have both put about the same numbers down running dry.
Congrats though, another high torque dry set-up for those who think dry can't hit hard.
Robert
Old 11-27-2005, 01:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VINCE
Well this weekend I pushed my dry setup to it's limits and it tried my patience. Maxed out my MAF yesterday and tried to work around it. Attempted to decrease tq, but the lowest I could get it on both stages was 710rwtq and that was spraying much later than I would like. Well traction was always an issue, but I tried to work around it via tuning and because this is my first time tuning such a setup with such a big dry shot I was not successful. I need to make a few changes to get things to work right. First I need to find a street tire combo that would work for my setup. Then I need to switch my second stage to a wet kit or direct port. In the last two days we have sprayed more nitrous thru my car than I have done in the last 3 years of running nitrous on various setups. I have to give Futral Motorsports much props for building such a setup... Some of you know I switched to 60lb injectors and they work great. I have the new two stage Progressive Controller and man does it work great. The problem I ran into was running a progressive dry shot. The maf does not like it for some reason, but I managed to tune it. The first stage maxed out the maf per logging and the dynograph. Second stage was just there for a lil more top end pull. On 100 octane and reduced timing the car did a max of 310rwhp with a 350 dry shot. This is with cutouts closed. I could have picked up the entire 350rwhp if I opened them, but I tuned the car with cutout closed. I dont recommend doing what I did.. I was just testing the waters and looking for an excuse to go turbo Has anyone else made over 800rwhp on dry nitrous? It feels good.. Oh!! Did I mention this was on a mustang dyno loaded to 3700lbs!!

Now I need to change my second stage to wet or direct port. I could have pushed the car more if I had 110 octane, but I could not find any today. I am not going to post the new numbers because there is a troll out there waiting to race me..
Hey vince, can ya shoot me a pm with an idea of what kind of numbers you put down, i've been wondering if my racetronix pump would handle upping the shot a little more on the tnt and on the dry, this would help since ur running the same pump! And did you add the boost a pump or no?
Old 11-27-2005, 02:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

vince we run a multistage dry shot with pretty good success on drag radial. its a little bit of a pain to get a handle on but its been pretty consistant so far. tuning on a loaded dyno is easier also it changes dyno vs going down track with the airflow. Weve had cars that wont ingest all the nitrous sitting still on a dyno, it flows out from under the lid
Old 11-27-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Damn Vince pretty impressive to say the least.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:54 AM
Shorty Director

Actually I am running the stock MAF. I have a Z06 MAF I could put on the car to play with, but at this point I think it is time to add a direct port to manage the air fuel better on the second stage. I did use the KB BAP to help control the air fuel. With the BAP on it held 64psi all the way. I have no clue if it would work minus the BAP. I did not want to find out.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Actually I am running the stock MAF. I have a Z06 MAF I could put on the car to play with, but at this point I think it is time to add a direct port to manage the air fuel better on the second stage. I did use the KB BAP to help control the air fuel. With the BAP on it held 64psi all the way. I have no clue if it would work minus the BAP. I did not want to find out.
Ah alright, guess i'll just get a boost a pump eventually then. Is the KB the best or are they all the same?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Ah alright, guess i'll just get a boost a pump eventually then. Is the KB the best or are they all the same?
I have only used the KB. I have no clue about the others ones. Like I said in my beginning post.. I was testing the limits. We loaded the dyno with more than my raceweight and we were logging the entire time. One person was watching my fuel pressure gauge, one was watching the air fuel from the wideband and I was watching HP Tuners scanning software. If anything fluctated towards the negative we killed the run. Another thing is you need to really know what you are doing when it comes to dropping the timing. I dropped 8 degree's of timing total with 100 octane. I believe if I had 110 or C16 in the car I could have ran almost full timing. BUT!!! I still recommend if you have the limited tuning knowledge as me to run a wet second stage to better control the air fuel.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I have only used the KB. I have no clue about the others ones. Like I said in my beginning post.. I was testing the limits. We loaded the dyno with more than my raceweight and we were logging the entire time. One person was watching my fuel pressure gauge, one was watching the air fuel from the wideband and I was watching HP Tuners scanning software. If anything fluctated towards the negative we killed the run. Another thing is you need to really know what you are doing when it comes to dropping the timing. I dropped 8 degree's of timing total with 100 octane. I believe if I had 110 or C16 in the car I could have ran almost full timing. BUT!!! I still recommend if you have the limited tuning knowledge as me to run a wet second stage to better control the air fuel.
Well my first stage is a wet kit, it's a tnt jetted at 200 (put 220 to the wheels) right now and the second stage is dry with a .051 jet in it right now (not sure the hp rating for that jet, but it put 70 to the wheels). If I get anywhere close to 8's on with those settings I was thinking about upping the tnt to the biggest jets I have which is 250 and upping the dry to an .063 jet, just wasn't sure if the racetronix could handle it, how it is right now it put 713 to the wheels on a dynojet through a turbo 400.

Bye the way, what plugs you runnin, I got TR6's in the car and ran a mix of 5 gallons 104 with a couple gallons left in the tank of 93 and I dropped the timing to like 16 degrees.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Shorty Director

Well my first stage is a wet kit, it's a tnt jetted at 200 (put 220 to the wheels) right now and the second stage is dry with a .051 jet in it right now (not sure the hp rating for that jet, but it put 70 to the wheels). If I get anywhere close to 8's on with those settings I was thinking about upping the tnt to the biggest jets I have which is 250 and upping the dry to an .063 jet, just wasn't sure if the racetronix could handle it, how it is right now it put 713 to the wheels on a dynojet through a turbo 400.

Bye the way, what plugs you runnin, I got TR6's in the car and ran a mix of 5 gallons 104 with a couple gallons left in the tank of 93 and I dropped the timing to like 16 degrees.
I run TR7's and it looks like you need a boost a pump to go higher.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I run TR7's and it looks like you need a boost a pump to go higher.
Oh, what's the part number for TR7's, I haven't been able to find them anywhere, thought maybe they didn't exist! Also, how are they with driving on the street, do they foul real easy like I heard the TR8's do, or are they streetable like the TR6's? Also, what you gap them too? Thanks for the info dude, appreciate it!
Old 11-27-2005, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vince you are my hero, thought you were gonna follow me yesterday on MLK and beat me down right quick. Dam I bust your ***** so much you should have. It would have been a fun loss for me. Anyway nice #'s big man!
Old 11-27-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get the direct port N20
Old 11-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Shorty Director

Oh, what's the part number for TR7's, I haven't been able to find them anywhere, thought maybe they didn't exist! Also, how are they with driving on the street, do they foul real easy like I heard the TR8's do, or are they streetable like the TR6's? Also, what you gap them too? Thanks for the info dude, appreciate it!
I will check when I go back to my buddies shop. I wish I would have read this post earlier. I just pulled the plugs to check them like an hour ago and they look great..
Old 11-27-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I think its BP7EFS or something like that.