Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitting rev limiter with Dry shot......

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hitting rev limiter with Dry shot......

Our cars cut fuel on the limiter, so what harmfull effect will rev limit aka fuel-cut have on a dry shot? If there is no fuel in the cylinder, there should be no cumbustion and the nitrous should pass on thru the exhaust. Is this thinking correct or am I missing something here?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Y2K2LS1
Our cars cut fuel on the limiter, so what harmfull effect will rev limit aka fuel-cut have on a dry shot? If there is no fuel in the cylinder, there should be no cumbustion and the nitrous should pass on thru the exhaust. Is this thinking correct or am I missing something here?
i take it this is a 6speed and your just not shifting it correctly right? if so get you a shift light and set it 250 rpm's lower than when you want to shift. your factory tach is slow and cant be relyied upon. also, i wouldnt be worried about the cylinders that are not firing under the rev limiter, i would be worried about the ones that are firing and the uneven power distribution the nitrous would put on the crank and rods. now i could be wrong about that and would like to hear the reaction from the pros on that one.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Even though the car cut's fuel when hitting the rev limiter you are still at wide open throttle, which means you are still spraying nitrous into the motor. So for a moment you have a build up of nitrous that isn't being used, and once the fuel table returns to normal you now have a very very lean condition that can ignite. Keep in mind that this all happens within milliseconds.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

in theory when its hits the rev limiter the sequential fuel injection system is cut on that cycle and NO fuel will enter the intake and combustion chamber on each cycle on each cyclinder as its cut. The computer will cycle off and on as the rpms fall to below the rev limiter again and fuel is activated. That when you heare the bah-bah-bah for a few cycles Again in theory that would not be a problem since there would be no combustion and you cant run lean if there is no fuel and no combustion. However in practice I dont believe that to be entirely true. I think possibly with reversion or just residual fuel there may be a few cycles that are incredibly lean. On engines that have a lower total power...like say a stock LS1 with a 100 shot dry...I doubt its still to big a deal as far as catastrophic damage but its not a good thing either. But on larger dry shots and engines that have large cams that have more reversion and a more "dirty" combustion I think it would be more of a problem. This is just my opinion thinking out loud.

Besides the theory...I have persoanlly melted plugs on a dry shot hitting the rev limiter more than once.

Get a window sitch
Old 12-02-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A buddy runs a dry Z06 and no ws, he hits the limiter all the time. Like Al said it's really not a problem with the smaller shots (done it myself on '97), but still why take a chance, get a ws.
Robert
Old 12-02-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is one of those instances where the dry system is safer.
People hit the limiters all the time with dry systems without a problem, but you should always keep an eye on the plugs. Hitting the limiter will slow you down and is best avoided.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Teching In

what about forgetting to take your traction control off, and hitting the nitrous dry shot, and the traction kicking you back on fuel ????
Old 12-04-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
However in practice I dont believe that to be entirely true. I think possibly with reversion or just residual fuel there may be a few cycles that are incredibly lean. On engines that have a lower total power...like say a stock LS1 with a 100 shot dry...I doubt its still to big a deal as far as catastrophic damage but its not a good thing either. But on larger dry shots and engines that have large cams that have more reversion and a more "dirty" combustion I think it would be more of a problem. This is just my opinion thinking out loud.

Besides the theory...I have persoanlly melted plugs on a dry shot hitting the rev limiter more than once.

Get a window sitch
That is what I was thinking. There may be some cycles that do get leftover fuel or whatnot and go very lean. I have enough safetys on my system to never ever have that happen, I was just wondering what would happen if it did.

Thanks for the inputs guys.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

just stay off the limiter and u wont have any worrys,just be safe u dont want to grenade ur motor,goodluck
Old 12-04-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another you can do is raise your limiter a little bit. then your less likely to hit it, but will still save egine. I raised mine to 6800 to help avoid hitting from the standard 6600.
Robert
Old 12-04-2005, 08:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spend a 100 dollars and get a window switch. Why take a chance when it will cost you much more to fix it...
Dave