Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C-5 Ashtray N2O Panel WIP

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C-5 Ashtray N2O Panel WIP

Thought I would run a thread showing progress on my switch panel I am working on (there are pieces of this work in various other panel threads). I am trying two looks, the first is going to be the plastic flat/mat finish, which I got my sample plate (holes and markings), but not the actual material.

Here is my first sample piece from one of the engraver's. It has laser cut holes so I dont have to screw up the piece on my drill press (a machinest I am not )

This is on regular engraver laminate, the one I am waiting for is gonna be thicker and a flat finish to better match the actual interior. On this peice I can see the LOCK text needs to matched in size to the PURGE text under the respective buttons.

The other piece will be a a anodized black aluminum, and when the letters are engraved they should show up razor sharp in a shiny silver .

Unfortunately I wont be home next week (back to the rig) to post the pics of the aluminum one (when I get it), so my project will be all stop for a couple weeks.

Also working on decals for the switches, without the purge and the lock buttons there is plenty of room to engrave the function, but with so much on the lil bit of real estate the function I think needs to be on the switch.

The main Switches I am using are 30 amp and come with blue LED, red LED, or amber LED, I was thinking of using the blue to match my car. Amber for a yellow vette, and of course Robert, Red for your red vette (of course I aint got enough room for all your stages!).

Question on the purge and line lock switches what amps should they be rated at (looking at the Hurst Line Lock)?

I have pretty much decided on the Wet Plate kit from Nitrous Dave. I think the FJO controller w/ upgrade to one driver (I love that USB programable stuff), a 860 bottle heater, and probably a Dynotune remote opener and pressure guage will round off my system when I get it.

I noticed Dave finally made the LS-1 Plate conversion selectable from his site...now how bout the Plate Kit (for C-5 Corvettes)

Cheers
Beer
Old 12-09-2005, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beer,
The switch panel is looking great. I am just waiting on a hose for the c5 plates.So then I ll get the picture and get it up.
Dave
Old 12-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Nice switch panel, looks real nice..
You purge valve can draw from 5-25 amps depending on whos you got with.. Line lock 3-5 amps....
Ricky
Old 12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

That looks great. I like it a lot
Old 12-09-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

NXRicky are the purge buttons that come with kits mostly 1/2" holes?
Thanks guys, I am looking forward to seeing the Black Anodized one (way more pricy though...)

Beer
Old 12-09-2005, 11:59 AM

With the NX kits a .465 hole would work nicely.. Some use 1/2. I would do a smaller hole and if need be can be enlargered easily.
Ricky
Old 12-09-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beer, looks very nice and can't wait to see the final. One thing that comes to mind though, and have thought about this before. The line lock button, is it always hot? could be an issue, what if you were driving down the road and went to switch something on and accidently hit the line lock? I was putting a remote toggle on mine away from button so powing only when needed at strip. something to think about. I have some pics that I will post later on this, a very trick set-up. Thanks for your efforts.
Robert
Old 12-09-2005, 04:52 PM

Robert should not hurt a thing. its only momentary. lol
Ricky
Old 12-09-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Robert should not hurt a thing. its only momentary. lol
Ricky
My point is, you don't want to slam the front brakes on when traveling down the interstate?
Robert
Old 12-09-2005, 05:21 PM

does not work like that,,, Robert.. common man you know its just a normally open valve that closes win turned on.. I am think ing about your proposal, interesting for sure.
chow
Ricky
Old 12-09-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need one more momentary contact switch on there for a two step.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Actually that switch for the Line lock is a press in On, (and stays on), and a press in off (stays off). I am sure if someone wanted a momentary Line lock switch be no problem changing it to the standard momentary switch. I would say the safety would be pulling the fuse on the Line Lock, so the ball and chain did not say hey what does this do while tooling down the road and lock up the front end.

Question though...don't you have to brake first and then activate it? So even if you threw the switch while driving it would not effect anything until you started to brake (then it would hold whatever pressure you applied)?

Cheers
Beer
Old 12-09-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beer99C5

Question though...don't you have to brake first and then activate it? So even if you threw the switch while driving it would not effect anything until you started to brake (then it would hold whatever pressure you applied)?

Cheers
Beer
almost, you can hit it while driving down the road and nothing happens (no wheels lock up). But if you then decided to hit the brakes, no pressure could get to your front brakes and you would only have back brakes.

Ive never seen a maintained switch used for line lock, you can use it, but momentary is much more common, if 'lets just say you ever planed on selling one' I would make a momentary switch standard. Just my 2 cents.
Vinny
Old 12-09-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I was thinking memory, but doesn't quite work that way. Dork Attack.
Robert
Old 12-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Restricted User

Very nice panel indeed. I wish I had the patients to do some nice work like that, usually about time the install is complete, I say forget the details.

Vinny, I have been using a maintained Line Lok switch for 3yrs, no particular reason, other than I pieced the line lok together myself to save $ and didnt happen to see a momentary switch. Works good.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's the set-up idea I was talking about (stole idea from fellow vette guy). It has a seperate power/arm switch then a mom on wheel. It's a plug in set-up for the mom on wheel.
Robert
Attached Thumbnails C-5 Ashtray N2O Panel WIP-linelock2.jpeg   C-5 Ashtray N2O Panel WIP-linelock.jpeg  
Old 12-10-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Beer,

That looks awesome and very very clean. You will have a very nice sey up indeed. That Line Lock is a nice feature you built in. I don't have one, but was always wanting to get one for easy burnouts at the track.

I think it looks great, thanks for posting

Bandit
Old 12-10-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

beer that looks real good.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

I like the black.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys!

Here it is in place (double sided 3M tape for installation), and the drivers view.
Switched out the Line Lock for a momentary switch per recommendation. Also found better looking indicator lights.

I think the other material in plastic will look better, it will be a matt finish vice the gloss.

Pics of the Black Anodized Aluminum coming when I get it. I think I am gonna favor the matt plastic one...it will blend better with the interior, the gloss black stands out a bit.

Cheers
Beer