Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the easiest/cheapest way to upgrade to dual stage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the easiest/cheapest way to upgrade to dual stage?

I've got a 20920 kit on my LT1 for right now with the fogger in my Trick Flow elbow. What's the easiest way to get dual stage from here? Would it be more cost effective to just go with a progressor? I want to spray 50-75 out of the hole then have the 200 come in at the beginning of 2nd gear.

The more I think about it with regard to retarding timing for each stage and the logistics of it, I think a progessor would be my best bet. Opinions?
Old 12-20-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I agree....with the low cost of the NX/FJO mini controller now a days...thats really the best option IMO. And it also has built in TPS, window switch, gear lock out, transbrake, and a ton of other things for just over $200. Two window switches and pill for both nearly equals that.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I aggree with al. You can not beat the 206 dollar FJO unit we carry.
Dave
Old 12-21-2005, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

We have a sudo "2-stage" controller that is easy to use. Here is a link to it.

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...age=1&featured

If you are looking for a controller that has more options take a look at the Edge and the Advantage (not up on the site yet, but will be shipping in a week). Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys I will ponder over these and get back to you all.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Launching!

I'll just ask the questions on here rather than email both of you. (I'm sure they might have been answered before but I frequent cz28 rather than ls1tech)

Dave,
-Do the solenoid drivers come included in the $206 kit?
-Could this be integrated easily with Mallory's #685 box?
The reason I ask is because I would only use your unit for the TPS switch and progressive capability. As the box has a window switch, limiter, retard, etc.
-Would I have to use the integrated window switch for the unit to work or could I still use my own box's window switch?
-In your add it lists a Window Switch with built in multiplier, then down at the bottom when talking more about the progressive abilities it lists the Turn on RPM/Turn off RPM. Is this the same thing, or is the latter talking about turning stages on and off independent of one another.

Matt,
Some of the same questions apply to you
-I like your unit because of the price and because I worry about seamless integration. It seems simple and I like simple.
-My current set up has the master arm switch but then the system does not activate until the WOT switch (would use your TPS function), window switch, etc are all within their parameters. I'm guessing I could easily integrate your system into this setup?
-Does it pulse the nitrous every time you spray or can it be turned off?
-Tell me if you think this is feasible. I would set up a 'Pulse' switch to go along with my switch that arms the system. With both switches on, when the nitrous hits it would be pulsing, then I turn the 'Pulse' rocker switch off and the system gives its full hit. This would solve my problem to the above question I guess.

Thanks guys, if something doesn't seem clear feel free to ask.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

-Do the solenoid drivers come included in the $206 kit?
yes its all in the little box

-Could this be integrated easily with Mallory's #685 box?
I just looked at the instructions for the Mallory. I dont see any reason why it cant be used with the Mallory.

-In your add it lists a Window Switch with built in multiplier, then down at the bottom when talking more about the progressive abilities it lists the Turn on RPM/Turn off RPM. Is this the same thing, or is the latter talking about turning stages on and off independent of one another.
The RPM multiplier is just a setting that can be changed so this unit can be used on anything from a 3 cylinder to a 12 clunder and then some. So this is just to get the unit to read the correct rpm of the car its installed on. Obviously yours will be 8 cylinder mode.

For activation is has:
RPM mode
RPM trigger
RPM end
RPM cutoff

Rpm trigger is the rpm the controller will begin ramping the nitrous...for example 25% at 3000 rpm.

RPM end is where the nitrous will stop ramping. For instance 100% at 6200 rpm

RPM cutoff is where the nitrous will stop flowing. So if we use the above example and nitrous is at 100% at 6200 rpm and the nitrous cutoff is 6800 rpm then you will be at 100% from 6200-6800...and nitrous will be shut off at 6800 rpm.

Time mode
RPM trigger
RPM cutoff
Ramp time
Ramp time Start and final %

So you set the trigger to activate at say 3000 rpm
Then set the ramp time to say.. 3 seconds with 25% of the nitrous coming on at 3000 rpm and ramping to 100% within 3 seconds
At any time you go above the cutoff rpm it will cut the juice.

As far as integrating it with your Mallory it shouldnt be a problem. Between Nitro Dave and NX Ricky they should be able to give you the info you need.

Last edited by 383LQ4SS; 12-21-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

here is a few screen shots of the controllers options. Looking at this stuff it starts to make a bit more sense.

This is time based

This is RPM based
Old 12-21-2005, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

Hi Brian,

Yes, there is a way you could still use your window switch & use the TPS switch on The Edge, although it will be much easier to use The Edges integrated window switch and have it trigger the Mallory box if you need it to retard timing or anything.

It would be possible to wire your system to by pass the Edge's progressive controller feature and just use the TPS & Window switch functions. If you are looking to use this while the Edge is pulsing your solenoids I wouldn't recommend doing it. Remember, you can save a setting that doesn’t pulse the solenoids as one of your three program files. Loading the program files can be done very quickly, maybe 4 seconds.

Now if all you want is a progressive controller & TPS unit our Advantage controller might fit the bill (pricing is $125).

Let me know if you have any other questions or would like to see a copy of the manual.

Thanks,
Matt

Originally Posted by Loadre
Matt,
Some of the same questions apply to you
-I like your unit because of the price and because I worry about seamless integration. It seems simple and I like simple.
-My current set up has the master arm switch but then the system does not activate until the WOT switch (would use your TPS function), window switch, etc are all within their parameters. I'm guessing I could easily integrate your system into this setup?
-Does it pulse the nitrous every time you spray or can it be turned off?
-Tell me if you think this is feasible. I would set up a 'Pulse' switch to go along with my switch that arms the system. With both switches on, when the nitrous hits it would be pulsing, then I turn the 'Pulse' rocker switch off and the system gives its full hit. This would solve my problem to the above question I guess.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Launching!

VERY informative post. Thanks a lot.

Few more questions. How exactly does the TPS rise/fall thing work? Do you set the parameters to calibrate the box? I guess it cuts the system when the TPS starts to fall?

Should I rebuild my solenoids before installing a progressor? They are about 3-4 years old but only have 5 bottles max through them. Jon Phillips is our local NX rep that lives about 10 miles away so I'll just take them over to him just for precaution probably.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Matt,
Can you give me some more info on the Advantage? I looked through all these once when everybody first came out with them but so many got out on the market so fast I can't remember who's were what and so forth.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I believe the TPS rise/fall option is just to configure the controller for certain cars that have tps voltage reversed. Yours should be set to "rise".
Old 12-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Launching!

383LQ4SS,

How would I go about slowly progressing up to 100% in first gear, then spraying 100% through 2nd and 3rd?

Would 2nd and 3rd gear be considered stage 2 and just set it up 100% across the board?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

It's new, so it isn't up on our page yet. Should be shipping at the end of next week. The Advantage has 4 settings that can be set. They are start%, end %, build time (in seconds), and a repeat option that can be on or off. It's a small unit, just a little larger then a set of playing cards.

Matt

Matt,
Can you give me some more info on the Advantage? I looked through all these once when everybody first came out with them but so many got out on the market so fast I can't remember who's were what and so forth.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Launching!

383LQ4SS,

How would I go about slowly progressing up to 100% in first gear, then spraying 100% through 2nd and 3rd?

Would 2nd and 3rd gear be considered stage 2 and just set it up 100% across the board?
Bump for this question. How do you get it to spray 100% through the remainder of the run after I have slowly progressed it in during 1st gear?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for this question. How do you get it to spray 100% through the remainder of the run after I have slowly progressed it in during 1st gear?

In my opinion have it set on a time delay, You would have to do some base runs to see what the time it takes you to go through first gear is lets say for example 4 seconds.

Set the FJO unit to Time-based and slowly ramp up-to 100% for the first 4 seconds and 100% thereafter.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Black X
In my opinion have it set on a time delay, You would have to do some base runs to see what the time it takes you to go through first gear is lets say for example 4 seconds.

Set the FJO unit to Time-based and slowly ramp up-to 100% for the first 4 seconds and 100% thereafter.

Thats probably the best way to do it. If you really wanted control of spray by gear the NX/FJO maximizer is the only thing out that I know of that will allow for individual progressive maps for each gear.

With the dual stage mini controller you have a few things you can use. The time based will do just about what your asking. Or you could use dual stages and ramp one up with rpm or time with a smaller hit...then have the second stage locked out in first gear...but come on with a nice shot in second and above.

All this dang techno wiz stuff...just have to use your imagination
Old 12-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

"All this dang techno wiz stuff...just have to use your imagination" Hey Al I was reading aloud to my 16month old daughter, and when she heard "use your inagination" she says BARRRRR,BARRRR, referring to Barney tape she watch. Made me laugh and scared her, lol
Ok back to business.
I need to recheck the drawing I think there is way to wire the minicontroller up to give delay in first gear so the system does not hit until a set rpm, but in second gear will allow the nitrous to flow at a lower rpm then the first.. I will recheck and get back with yall.. But if so it will only be a one stage system, NOT dual.....
Ricky
Old 12-22-2005, 07:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ricky seeing as we are discussing this progressive controller what does NX reccomend for the Driver frequency???

THANKS
Old 12-22-2005, 09:47 AM
Launching!

I like the time delay idea.

If you use time delay will you still be able to set RPM trigger/end/etc?

......aaaaaand would I still need to use a WOT switch or would the TPS function negate that need?

I'm just full of questions.