Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparison chart for progressive units???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison chart for progressive units???

Hey guys, I have just seen the blow-up in regards to someone posting about a product and then a bunch of vendors going at it again...

Here is the plain and simple aspect I believe EVERYONE is going after:

What do all the various products offer in the way of features?

I mean I believe a simple comparison chart of features would do WONDERS for allowing us, your customers to make an informed decision on which progressive unit will meet our needs...

Now, some vendors may not want to 'play nice' and participate, either because they fear losing sales due to a lack of features, or they feel thier product has features that can't be 'compared' to others on an equal footing, but the fact of the matter is that we, as your customers, need this information to make sure we are buying the product that best suits OUR needs now, as well as what we may be planning for the future... There is nothing worse as a consumer to buy something, go to change something down the road and find out you need to make another capitol investment in something else, thus many of us have grown accustomed to choosing products based upon extended feature sets and then tempering that with a given price-point...

Now, I assume there could be some third-party consumer that is not affiliated with any of the vendors that could gather the information on all the controllers, put it in a nice format for viewing, get the approval of the vendors of THIER respective products that the feature list is complete and accurate and representative, and then post up the list for public consumption... (note: the key is that the various vendors could approve thier section without previewing the other vendors sections, thus getting rid of the petty pissing matches that seem to pop up, not saying that revisions can't be made, but that it is a factual and representative listing)

Hell this could be made a permanent sticky in this section that would help a ton of newcomers and people looking to expand thier systems alike...

From this feature comparison you could then have various educated technical discussions by the consumers and the respective product vendors in regards to specific useages and implimentations that may not be apparent based upon a feature chart, and in doing such everyone could easily stick to the rules of vendors staying out of other vendors threads as feature questions would only be answerable by thier respective technical representatives, and no other vendors would need to 'butt-in' or have any sort of commentary...

I mean the biggest thing everyone here is forgetting is that these are all technical products based on engineering that has features, implimentations, limitations and suitability for purposes. All of those factors need to be known and converyed in a manner that doesn't confuse and discourage consumers from desiring and purchasing these products. In the end it becomes a win-win for everyone. I just think too many vendors feel that a sale of another brand product means that they just lost something, as it is the proverbial 'the world is only so big and you have to take your portion to survive' aspect of sales that gets in the way... For us consumers we actually like choices, want options and in general a lot of us feel that the more products out there, the better products will evolve, if not by-and-large because of direct competition more than anything else...

All vendors are please encouraged to give thier input on this... As long as other vendors and thier products are not directly mentioned, as there is no need...
Old 01-18-2006, 03:17 PM
FormerVendor

I think if something like what you are wanting is to come together in a civilized manner it would need to be put together by an individual not associated with any of the companies therein. After compiling the data, get the approval from the various mfg's without them seeing the other's data. Otherwise I see it turning into a pissing match just like the a lot of the other comparison threads do.

The easiest thing to do, in my opinion, would be to use the search feature to get a good baseline on what each mfg's controller can/can't do and then contact those companies (through pm or email etc.) that have the controllers that you are most interested in. JMHO.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
I think if something like what you are wanting is to come together in a civilized manner it would need to be put together by an individual not associated with any of the companies therein. After compiling the data, get the approval from the various mfg's without them seeing the other's data. Otherwise I see it turning into a pissing match just like the a lot of the other comparison threads do.

The easiest thing to do, in my opinion, would be to use the search feature to get a good baseline on what each mfg's controller can/can't do and then contact those companies (through pm or email etc.) that have the controllers that you are most interested in. JMHO.
Oh, I EXACTLY agreee, and I believe I listed just those requirements to make this successful as well those very same concerns...

Definitly on the same page...
Old 01-18-2006, 04:33 PM
FormerVendor

Yea, I thought we were. So get on top of it and start compiling data already!!!! haha, for real though, if you decide to start gathering data and have some questions regarding our product feel free to email or pm and I will get you as much tech data as possible.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 ta, do it. There are so many controllers out right know and it is confusing. It is for me anyway, trying to remember which one does what and the such. Any non sponsor could do this and post as they felt the need. Open info anyway, so why not gather it and graph it.
Robert
Old 01-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Please include price Vs. features and if a computer is needed or if it is a stand alone controller.

EDIT: Also include if its time or RPM based. Im looking for a nice RPM based one that is a stand alone unit.

Last edited by 86MC_SS; 01-18-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Let me know where to send the lists and I will forward all that I can to that person. Right now kind of booked up so I might slam this one on Jeremy.
Ricky

Last edited by NXRICKY; 01-18-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats sounds like a good idea. If I remember currectly from some of your past post you were pretty good on the technical side of electronics. If someone like your self did it from a neutral stand point that would help everyone including myself. I like to know the differences just as much as the next person. I also thank the facts of the unit should come from the manafacture.. This way you are getting the info from a direct informant.
Dave
Old 01-18-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd be willing to compare them, but I'm certainly not spending all that money!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

That's funny. I started one last night. It's not much to look at. It's also a pain in the but to Alt+Tab all the time. Also, it only contains information that's advertised online. If someone doesn't beat me to the finish line, I'll post when I've got a good chunk.

-somebody
Old 01-18-2006, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

I think a mag (GM HIGH TECH) should do this!

Altho, I did read their nitrous issue and I dunno if I want them to do the testing!
Old 01-18-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

I have no problem doing it, just as long as I don't incur any hard feelings because I am doing it...

What I will do first is come up with a set of categories and items within those categories... I'll then post them and get feedback to make sure I am representing all the feature-sets needed... Probably within the next day or two... Then I will begin compiling info from the manufacturers...

I would liek to make a comment on the 'magazine' comparisons and reviews, in that they are pretty much worthless, I mean, if you think things in this forum can get bad, magazines will outright omit critical info because they don't want to **** a paying advertiser off... So magazines are only worth thier coverage of new products you may not have heard about, or installs, as well as *SOME* technical articles... But product shootouts and comparisons (as well as vehicle shootouts), are all a waste of space... Unless your car happens to be in there, then it has a 'look at my sh*t!' factor to it...

Again, I am more than happy to do this, but would also like to hear some concerns from some of the product reps out there to make sure this is done in a manner that allows for proper representation as well as fair comparison...
Old 01-18-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

One thing I would liek to make clear... This is a feature comparison to make some sense out of what is available, what it can do, and help people make informed purchasing decisions. It is not a product shootout or physical A to B real-world comparison...

Just thought I would clarify based upon some of the posts in here already...
Old 01-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I think 2 things could should happen. 1st just a listing of the features of the box. 2nd a bit more techy on what the feature really do, and how it helps the end user.

Also real world sh_t none of this drives 800 stages with added drivers stuff. Just good old fashion home made cooking with crisco common since.

Ricky
Old 01-19-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to be honest...

I just got my FJO progressive and it's going to be pretty hard to beat in the "under $500) category! (at only $200 especially!)
Old 01-19-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could someone make up a spreadsheet with a list of common features and spec sections, also allow a "special function" section where that little extra thing(s) for a given controller can be mentioned. Send this spread sheet to each vendor for them to fill out the common sections and special sections. Also have a set size for each cell, the vendor must keep it simple enough to get the desired information included without the text becoming so long the user gets lost trying to read it. Do this for each vendor(manufacturer) no exceptions on the amount of text area they get. The reader can then inquire if he needs more details. Doing this properly you get the readers attention and let them ask the questions they have for thier application.

Also no changing of the specified text size so more text can be fitted into a given text cell. I just did one of these for a magazine on Boost Controllers. I felt that everyone involved was very professional.

Example:
Manufactor:
Number of Progressive Ramps:
Number of Solenoid Outputs:
Seperate Fuel Trim Available:
Maxium current draw per output:
Etc...
Etc...
Etc...

Do a question column and then an answer column. Of course the Answer column could extend over to right side of the page and 3-4 lines in length. With excell you can define a text cell size and set the font. Keep all of the information for a paticular controller on one page. One page for each brand.

Just a thought, I really like your idea by the way of making up a list.

Dennis
Old 01-19-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd rather see a complete list of EVERY feature ALL of them have along the side. On the top, have the name of each controller. Put a check mark or a bullet in the section if they have the feature. I'm not good with spreadsheets, but I'm sure it can't be hard to do.