Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bottle heating methods

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bottle heating methods

Ive been trying to find various ways to heat the bottle without spending much money (cheaper than buying a 12v bottle heater). I was just thinking about making a little list of ideas of alternative methods.

I bought a heating pad at walmart, the kind you plug into an AC outlet and use to heat your sore muscles at home or whatever. it was pretty cheap (around 20 I believe). It takes awhile to heat up the bottle, and of course you have to plug it in at your garage or where ever you are at. I havent tried using a power inverter to use it in my car without an AC outlet but that was an idea, not sure if it would draw too much current.

take the bottle out and set it next to an area heater and rotate bottle frequently so it gets even heating. this worked very good but required taking the bottle out

take bottle out and put in front seat, turn heater on full hot. (havent tried this one)

take bottle out and put in bath of hot water. (havent tried)

blow torch (havent tried)

I was just looking up more heating pads and I saw one that auto turns off to maintain the hot temp. I think if you figured out what setting produced a temp to get the right pressure, and hooked this up to a DC/AC power inverter, it would be a fairly simple/cheap method to having an in car heater. (assuming the inverter can handle it)

I know the 12v heaters are the best solution but up until just recently I didnt have the money to buy one so I was looking for a cheap method that worked.

Just curious if anyone had some other ideas
Old 01-20-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

DO NOT EVER USE A BLOW TORCH - EVER! PERIOD!

Another method other than electric would be hot water... other than that i don't think i would try anything else.

A good electric bottle heater is really worth the money though
Old 01-20-2006, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

He beat me to it....NEVER USE A TORCH.

I've used the tub of hot water.....it works well....really well actually
And if you want to help it stay warm, just throw a towel in the dryer, and warm it up....

Only way I ever used the car's heater to warm it up, was putting the bottle in the floorboard, and turning the heat on full, on the floor...It works pretty well also....

-Will
Old 01-20-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is not much out there that will work nearly as good for this price.
Spend the buck, you will be glad you did.
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...p?idproduct=40
Vinny
Old 01-20-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought of routing a dedicated heating hose from the heater (and blocking the other ones off) and sending all the heat right onto the bottle. all you would really need is some small duct
Old 01-20-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you dont have a heater...i think the bathtub is the best solution along with a towel in the dryer (use a smaller dich towel and put underneath a bottle blanket)
Old 01-20-2006, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TARZAN
He beat me to it....NEVER USE A TORCH.

I've used the tub of hot water.....it works well....really well actually
And if you want to help it stay warm, just throw a towel in the dryer, and warm it up....

Only way I ever used the car's heater to warm it up, was putting the bottle in the floorboard, and turning the heat on full, on the floor...It works pretty well also....

-Will
I know, I wouldnt use the a torch either but just listing it as an option (IMO if you did it by holding the flame away so just the mild heat hit it and moved very quickly all over to cover the bottle evenly I think it would be the same, safety wise, as using a space heater to heat the bottle).
By using the car heater I was refering to putting it on the floorboard like you said.

I didnt know you can buy just the pad for $60 that is a pretty good price.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK when we dynotune cars we normally run hot water over the bottles.This gets the pressure up the fastes safely.....

No NOS offers a AC/ heater that plugs in. And yes the home remody way will work also..

However when you are running around town or at the track running to your garage to plug in the heater is impossible. Considering how cheap you can by a heater element only for and simply just flip a toggle switch and watch the pressure cost there i sno better way.
You can buy a heater element only from any company for under 90.00. You can buy a automatic unit from any company for 200.00.

As for the element the main differences are the color and the wattage... When using a element I suggest buying a realy and harness also.

Now the most popular way is a automatic unit. There are many different pressure sensors on the market. Some are adjustable and some are not.Some are also more accurate than others. Some even use thermostats. When shopping for a automatic heater its good to know the pros and cons of pressure switch you are getting... Also how complete the kit is. It should have a relay with harness and weather pac connectors. The connectors will help you remove your bottle for refilling easier..

So basically you can build a heater kit fairly cheap and it should out way the the cheaper methods just by the conviences of it.. Also most heaters will last a real long time...

And yes using a torch is very dangerous. The flame tip can over heat the bottle breaking down the meatl and creating a weak spot. If the bottle were to explode it would kill you.
Dave
Old 01-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.skingcompany.com/detail.asp?product_id=PB18

It would probably take a while to heat up the bottle, but it may work...

I'd just save my money for a real bottle heater, but hey, you asked
Old 01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

if you need to race someone really quick and your bottle is cold, just urinate on it. bam! instant warm steaming bottle
Old 01-20-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroextra
if you need to race someone really quick and your bottle is cold, just urinate on it. bam! instant warm steaming bottle
Old 01-20-2006, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide/440188-my-new-homemade-bottle-warmer.html

I have used the hot water method to..it's works really good...i just filled a cooler half way up with water i boiled on my stove and it stayed steamin hot for the 1hr trip to the track and about 3 hours of sitting outside in 40 degree air. It's aweseom...hopefulyl my new blanket will work good
Old 01-21-2006, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

After seeing the price on that DynoTune bottle heater...I may get a bottle heater for the first time, well....ever lol

But as has already been said, DO NOT USE A TORCH. The concentrated (extreme) heat of the flame will weaken the bottle, and if it blows up, it will not only kill you, but it will severely injure or kill everyone within a decent radius of you...

-Will
Old 01-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

I tried the bottle in the bathtub thing, then wrapping it with a towel to keep it warm. Might last one race if you did it soon enough, but after that it was useless. The electric blanket couldn't get it to 800psi in any cool weather, the wattage was WAY too low. I retired mine back to the closet.

The dynotune AC heater will take a bottle from 650psi to 1100psi in 30minutes tops. The bottle will be HOT. No need for a blanket even in 30 degree weather. The heater is more consistent, more powerful by probably 10x than the heating pad you have, and will keep you at the pressure you need to run two-three street races back to back without losing consistency. This means you can actually USE your system, instead of just showing it off. Or winning all the races if the guy miss shifts, or you miss shift, or he wants a rerun.

Sometimes spending the money for peace of mind, ease of use, and consistency is worth it. And in this case, it is!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

you know, for all the methods of heating the bottle out there, on the street(and track sometimes), I see the torch method more than anything else. and i've seem some pretty "popular" people in this business/sport doing it. will it take another incident like what happened at HMP last saturday before people see the wisdom in a proper bottle warmer? I'm not saying i'm not guilty of it myself, but the recent mishaps this week have been a sort of a wakeup call. if you do use the torch, i think voids the DOT rating on the bottle.

side question- How often are bottles supposed to be certified and who does it?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Or shove it up ... LOL.

Priced a heater lately? Seems a lot easier to me? Torches cause bottles.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I remember right Technicly bottles need certs every 6 years in most states.

To cert. they need Hydro. tested Good time to upgrade valve seeing how they have to come out to test them
Old 01-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Launching!

I just use a Moroso oil pan heater..they are 110v and about $50...Hope this helps

Quick Reply: bottle heating methods