Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Nitrous Jet Rocket Science?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Nitrous Jet Rocket Science?

yes and no.
yes compared to your model rockets you buy for 3.99 specials.
No, Compare to the shuttle or a big boy rocket.

See this question has been asked from time to time in the world of nitrous. So I thought I would put my 2 cents on this topic. Every mfg builds these parts a little different. This does and will change the performance of the system. Now how much just depends between the two mfg's being compare. exp, just because a jet is stamped with the same nmumber does not mean they flow the same..
Each mfg gives the customer a recommended jetting for their own product. Now this does not mean that you will hurt anything if you use someone elses jets. But it is up to the end user to assume all responceability to flow check and make sure it is what they want to do and give them positive results they are looking for.

again just a couple of pennies worth
Ricky
Old 01-24-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is basically the same. If your going for a world championship, then yes you need to flow test your jets. Now if your a average street/strip guy, using any manufactures standard jets, you'll find tolorerance differences per so may made. this is just a fact of mass producing, and no company is above this rule, unless they state they are individualy flow tested. Just my 2.837569 cents worth.
Robert
Old 01-24-2006, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Default So Ricky what makes NX jets better or just different?

So what makes a jet flow different? Material, manufacturing specs, design? All and more?
Old 01-24-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i beleive that the NX jets are stepped there for making the flow accelerate as it enters the nozzle which helps them out with there WHP ratings
Old 01-24-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nitrous seems to make my car go like a jet rocket! Is that the same????
Old 01-24-2006, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

I have noticed that NOS jets are flat...while NX jets use a conical inner shape...I would never mix and match jets, so what is the actual reason for them making there jets different?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 70Stang
I have noticed that NOS jets are flat...while NX jets use a conical inner shape...I would never mix and match jets, so what is the actual reason for them making there jets different?
One style is flair jet (NOS) and the other funnel jets. Most companys use one or the other, and as Ricky pointed out, one uses screw in. Past that there is some slight proprietary engineering, however, I believe this to be slim in actual performance gains. We are not talking mixing and matching a flair/funnel, but rather one companys jet to another companys kit (same style like a NX jet into a TNT kit). One thing I have noticed on some jets (company to remain nameless) was the fact that the champhers on the outlet end were not all the same depth, now for hard core racing I would certainly take this into consideration, but for my beater ride, not to worried.
Robert
Old 01-24-2006, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

I agree that on most of our applications it makes no difference...I was just asking what the logic behind different jet styles is.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

I guess it seems pretty obvious to me that shape of the entry point of the fluid or gas would have something to do with flow rate. What I find interesting is that apparently the flow properties of N20 and Gasoline must be very similar despite the differences in their "state". Consider this...the jets are interchangeable. But its seems to me that N20 and gasoline must be way different in "flow state" as they pass through the jet. My FP guage reads 61-62 psi of a liquid...my N20 reads 1000 psi of a pressurized gas/liquid. Not to mention the temperature difference. I'm assuming my fuel is liquid and the n20 a pressurized gas at the jet? Interesting that they would use the same jet design, albeit different sizes. It seems like the nozzle design must be way more critical than the jets. I wonder if there was a design for a N20 jet that was unique and max'ed out design wise for N20 and gasoline was design-max'ed for what it is that we'd have a more efficient N20 system. Maybe the type of solenoid or solenoid design could be fine tuned as well? Random thoughts.
- Macon
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

N20 will be liquid at the jet if purged. The gaseous stage takes place in the cylinder.
Hopefully that's the way i see it.
Hawk
Old 01-24-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 227Hawk
N20 will be liquid at the jet if purged. The gaseous stage takes place in the cylinder.
Hopefully that's the way i see it.
Hawk
Obviously gasoline and n20 must be similar enough in flow charecteristics that it's no big deal to use the same style jet...still is this just a jet that's designed for simplicity of installation or true maximum perfromance?
- Macon
Old 01-24-2006, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is a Nitrous Jet Rocket Science?

I thought it was Prop Science Or at least WWII planes
Old 01-25-2006, 12:00 AM

Macon, the design of jet and how the media flows through it is what I am talking about. Take a look at the NX jet for example only. Looks like an hour glass, tapered inlet and tapered outlet. The orifice is roughly in the middle. Look at anothers company jet "large *** hole that slams into a blunt end with a hole in it".
Now depending on what the flow bench shows tell us at NX what the combination will be. Just like nos, TNT, Dynotune, Edelbrock, and others that is also why one company will say 52-28 is 100hp, and another might say 53-31., and some one else might say 51-29. It depend on what the numbers show.
I will go one step further and say, you put my jetting pattern in adirect port nos B nozzle, and use my flowing fuel pressure. I bet you the piston god are going to have fun with that engine.
The jet is just one step in a long road. Sure you slap happy parts together and maybe they will work maybe they will not. BUT there is a difference.
But why in the world would you pay for product from one company and then say, hmmmmm let me use this other companies jets. just does not make since to me. And as always just becuase some says it as "will it worked for my car" does not mean it will work for yours.
As i have mentioned to others each piece of the puzzle is important, sure take this or that part and compare that one part. You will find a little difference, then do it again to another part, again a little difference, and so on and so on. But end the end you can not say there is only a little difference in the final package. People always forget toadd those differences up.
anyway Mr. Macon have a good night.
Ricky
Old 01-25-2006, 01:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I must admit Ricky I use Edelbrock Stainless jets in my NOS kits My understanding is they were more accurate then the NOS jet...and when you run 16 of them you want them to all flow the same like you have mentioned
Old 01-25-2006, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Macon, the design of jet and how the media flows through it is what I am talking about. Take a look at the NX jet for example only. Looks like an hour glass, tapered inlet and tapered outlet. The orifice is roughly in the middle. Look at anothers company jet "large *** hole that slams into a blunt end with a hole in it".
together and maybe they will work maybe they will not.

BUT there is a difference.

But why in the world would you pay for product from one company and then say, hmmmmm let me use this other companies jets.

As i have mentioned to others each piece of the puzzle is important, sure take this or that part and compare that one part. You will find a little difference, then do it again to another part, again a little difference, and so on and so on. But end the end you can not say there is only a little difference in the final package. People always forget toadd those differences up.
anyway Mr. Macon have a good night.
Ricky
I believe that Ricky is talking about a "system approach" to design. Lot's of things we use are designed as a system. Nitrous systems are certainly no different. To further that point a well planned and designed systems certainly must be better than one that some vemdor pieces together without regard to engineering...ie. buying parts that are best because they are cheaper. A bit off from flowing jets but the same reason for sticking with a manufacturer.

BTW - Mr. Macon sounds like I do hair..."Macon" is fine!!

Thanks Ricky
Old 01-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Launching!

I have always subscribed to the idea "You always use what you started out with." Mixing companies is NOT a good thing IMO...When you get to a level that the entry level jets and kits don't work, It is time to spend some money with a Nitrous tuner...like Jeff Prock.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe it matters to a dry setup, it is what it is and
the fuel comes from somewhere else; whether it turns out
to be 73 or 76HP, is only going to change the timeslip.

Wet where you tune jet to jet, you still have the fuel pressure
and nitrous values that're way more variable than a drilled hole
(whether the drill bit was precision balanced unobtanium, or
plain old). These sort of things, well selected parts (a system)
settle down. But that's not the jet.

So it's rocket science in the Werner von Braun sense, mix it
in the garage and try not to blow up on the lawn. Not rocket
science in the necktie NASA weenie, study it to death vein.
The data isn't there and neither is the fancy computer model.
So try the next bigger one and stand back.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:40 AM

"So try the next bigger one and stand back. " I like that statement, almost as much as pill it tell you kill it. lol.
Dry kits no biggie, maf does alot of the work.

And Mr. Macon I think will stick now. haha
Ricky
Old 01-25-2006, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. On the zex set up, a ~150whp hit is in the 83N pill ballpark. On the NX set up, that same hit is ~63N. Is this a jet difference or a noid flow difference?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Its just like having a Big Mac with Burger King French Fries. It just isnt right. And i have no clue why but BK french fries suck since they changed them