Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous with a Harrop intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nitrous with a Harrop intake?

I'm thinking a direct port nitrous system is the only option with this intake. Is it possible to run a twin plate setup? Where would I get another plate?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why are you thinking twin plate system? A direct port fogger is perfect. Do you have the intake or are you thinking about getting one?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cliff
Why are you thinking twin plate system? A direct port fogger is perfect. Do you have the intake or are you thinking about getting one?
No, I don't have the intake, just trying to figure out my safest options.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a picture of the intake. Im not sure what it is.
Dave
Old 04-12-2006, 01:48 AM
Restricted User

http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder...rricane-3.html

http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder...rricane-1.html

http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder...rricane-2.html

There you go Dave, and others. Nice and pretty. Just imagine the PITA it would be drilling 8 smallass air bleed holes for large cammed cars for idle *ouch*.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CAT3
http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder...rricane-3.html

http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder...rricane-1.html

http://www.harrop.com.au/root_folder...rricane-2.html

There you go Dave, and others. Nice and pretty. Just imagine the PITA it would be drilling 8 smallass air bleed holes for large cammed cars for idle *ouch*.

Actually the harrop makes tuning huge cams simple as hell. You'd be surprised at the aussie big cams. I've seen quite a few 246/250 on a 106 lsa and they idle better than a g5x3
Old 04-12-2006, 03:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off topic... Where can you get the Harrop intake and for how much?
Old 04-12-2006, 05:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by anarchy99
Off topic... Where can you get the Harrop intake and for how much?
They are under US$3k ... but freight is a killer.
I think they usually work out ~US$3600 by the time it is sitting on your workbench.

Email sales@harrop.com.au
Old 04-12-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think before you buy one, you need to find out if it will fit under your cowl and hood. With the stock air boxes the hp increase in n/a is 30. Without the boxes, there is a gain of 70. I think a new style air box or modifications would really improve the air flow. Also, port matching the runners to the intake will increase velocity with after market heads. From my research the 52mm butterfly is the restriction in the intake, but a 55mm should solve this problem.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

Ohh yes. I had a feeling that was what it was. I have had several people hit me up for a nitrous system for one of these.

I personally feel that a directport will be your best option.
Dave
Old 04-12-2006, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

That's a pretty nice looking intake. I think a direct port would be the best system to use, but you could also use a dual nozzle if you wanted to.

I wonder how well this intake performs compared to the carb style EFI intake from Edelbrock?

Kinsler Fuel Injection has an intake that is pretty similar to this also. If any of you were thinking about getting Harrap intake you could get the one from Kinsler and save alot on shipping charges since they are located here in the states. I personally think the Kinsler intake looks a little better also, but that's neither here nor there in terms of performance.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:35 AM
FormerVendor

Jeremy. I thought about the dual nozzle. However I do not think it would be that good to use due to how close the front runners would be to the nozzle. I guess its just a personal preference.
Dave
Old 04-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Restricted User

Jeremy, actually I wouldnt recommend any wet nozzles for this intake, I would ONLY use either DP or Dry. The airbox is like one cover that goes over 4 individual TBs. I would hate to see a fog in that kind of turbulence, which is why they make more power sans the airbox. If the TB were flush, or even countersunk from the airbox mounting plate then it would be much nicer. I'd love to see one of these on a 2 stage, dual dry nozzles and DP *cough Dave cough Dave*.

Pricing is a little more looking at their site, well if you want to get the airbox (installation kit) with it.

How do they make it easier to tune for idle qualities? Interesting.

Last edited by CAT3; 04-12-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

Charlie. A directport would blow the mixture directly into the intake port. I would think that a directport wet would be perfect. To run this set up do you have to go to a after market computer system or something? I was thinking you would be able to stay with the stock.
Dave
Old 04-12-2006, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

Dave, yea I see what you are saying about the dual nozzle setup. After looking at it some more I wouldn't the dual nozzle either.

It looks like a direct port would be the only system that would work well on that intake. You could either put each nozzle right in front of each throttle body blade or you could put them after the blade closer to where the runners meet the heads. Putting them after the blade down close to the heads would be a nightmare to plumb, but I think it would perform the best if done right.

CAT, why wouldn't you use a direct port on this intake? I've seen lot's of Individual Throttle Body type intakes done with direct ports and they work great, but I have never seen an LSx use an ITB type intake so that's why I'm asking. I would think that it would work just as well, but who knows.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are 8 butterflys and no t.b. So the car has to have speed density tuned. The potential is there for huge hp gains. I was thinking of a direct port with soft lined instead if ss lines, therefore there is room for small movements to occur and easier to disconnect. The nitrous and fuel nozzle will have to be plumbed into the runner close to the head as the trumpets are very thin aluminum pieces maybe 5mm's in thickness.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think before many people get to hemming and hawing about this intake, they should make sure they can actually get it to fit on their car. From what I can tell, even C5 vettes have to be modified to get this to fit (let alone an F-body, which I've not seen one mounted on yet).
Old 04-12-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just as important.....................you have to order one and it takes several months if not more to have it ready for delevery. My impression is, Harrop is not really execited about the American market for f-bodies an they have done very little to no research or trial testing to see if they will work on our cars. I guess they are busy enough supplying there immediate demands.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Restricted User

Jeremy, I meant I would only plumb it for DP or Dry. I would not use the dual nozzle approach as you would have to run that into the airbox, and there seems to be much turbulence which is bad.
SD and this intake simply beautiful. And yes it works with stock sensors and such so should easily be adapted to the stock PCM.
Definately plumb one post blade, or hell, Dave could even get 8 mini-plates machined up I bet, now that would be simply awesome!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

personally with an intake costing 3600+ i wouldnt get anywhere near that thing with a drill. why not go with an injector bung style direct port like offered by NOS, nitrous express (nxl kit). your only fab work would be the 4 brackets that hold the fuel rail into place. or the expensive as hell option would be to ditch those eight intake runners for shorter ones and run a wet plate system right at the base what appears to be the tb area. no chance of it puddling in the black air box area and sending you home early from a night of races. check this guys work out hes workin on his own crazy creation and it puts the paddle to the harrop in the looks department.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1354624

Quick Reply: Nitrous with a Harrop intake?