Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb Question: Nitrous Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dumb Question: Nitrous Wiring

I'm new to nitrous and I haven't done much wiring so forgive me if this sounds stupid. I understand the basics of the nitrous kit wiring but what about the add ons like a bottle warmer and purge kit. I plan on getting a HSW ash tray switch and was wondering if the power source for the nitrous kit is the same one for the the bottle warmer and purg or do I have to find a seperate power source?

Also should I use a add a circut or just tap straight into the wire?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

If your'e unsure about what wires are a suitable power source or not, just use your cigarette lighter. I wired my cutout to the lighter and it works perfect. I had one of those plug in power sources laying around and cut the part where you plug your cell phone or whatever into it off. That left me with a positive and negative wire and a plugin for the lighter. I just crimped the wires from the switch to the wires on the plug and plugged it into the cigarette lighter and tada instant power source. They even sell plug in sources with 2 or more outlets so you can wire more than one switch to the one lighter. I currently have my cutout and purge wired to the lighter. It's pretty easy to do.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Launching!

In other words… I can wire the purge and heater to the cig lighter and the nitrous to a 12v source with the key on?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Banned

sorry to hijack, what other places are there for a power source. My cig lighter doesnt work, ive replaced everything for it to work, and it still does not, so I dont want to use it.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HPT BANDIT
In other words… I can wire the purge and heater to the cig lighter and the nitrous to a 12v source with the key on?
You can wire the nitrous to the cig lighter too. It's 12v's, you can wire almost anything to it.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't wire the bottle heater to the cig. lighter. The wires are not going to be a heavy enough gauge. You should suitable wire from the + post by your fuse blocks under the hood to the relay. I ran 10 gauge wire which may be over kill, but I don't think the 18 gauge wire going to the cig. lighter is going to be enough. You will feel the heat coming off the wires.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check this out. Third table down.

http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

Make sure you do not overload the circuit you are using. For example if the cigarette lighter has a 20 amp fuse don't put more than 20 amps of total load on that circuit. Be careful because there might be other things coming off any given fuse. Many fuses carry multiple items. You have to count ALL items on that circuit to keep from blowing the fuse.