Sponsored by:

PCM #10 wire splicing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCM #10 wire splicing

Hey guys,

I did a search and read all about splicing my window switch tach signal wire into wire #10 of my pcm. Does anyone have an idea about getting this done without using one of the blue splice snap on connectors?

I am not feeling confident in using one of those connectors and I am looking for a better way. It seems to me like that is the "easy" way out and would like to find a way to connect it more positively. I dont mind soldering and taking my time or whatever it takes.

I also read that you could connect the tach wire for the window switch to the negative wire on a coil pack? Has anyone done this? any adverse effects.

I am just looking for the "best" way to accomplish this. I am all setup on what wire to connect to and everything, just looking for ideas on how to get it done very nicely without worrying that it will come undone.

Thank you for your input.

-Jamin
Old 04-30-2006, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

I slowly peeled back a small section of the wire with a razor knife and then soldered the wire to it, wrapped it with tape aad called it a day.
Be very careful as this wire is thin!
Old 04-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Dude, I just got done splicing my tach (white #10) and my TPS (dk blu #24) using the blue splice snap on connectors. Was a breeze and no adverse affect. I'm with you on how clean a solder job would look. However, you take a risk when you pull tightly on the wire to use a razor knife on it. You could either pull the wire out of the harness or cut the wires causing you a bigger headache. However, it's your call.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

i cut it and used a butt connector. No problems since.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

i used the little snap on connector and have had no problems i just used some split loom to cover it up so you can't see it.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the suggestions guys...I am gonna continue to think about it. I have had some bad luck with the blue snap connectors in the past thats all. Possibly it could have been improper installation but whatever it was I do not want any problems with this install.

I am leaning towards removing some insulation and soldering a wire onto it. I might even go as far as cutting the wire so I can get some heat shrink back around the soldered splice. I was just looking to see if anyone had any pros/cons or other suggestions. Thanks guys,

Jamin
Old 04-30-2006, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Look into the connectors you can get at any Walmart. Look for the Posi-Tap ones for the correct gauge wiring. they basically are fool proof and provide you the ability to remove the wire if you need to later with minimal work.

Here is a link to a quick writeup on how they work.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/posi-tap/posi-tap.htm

Actual site with all their connectors.
http://www.posi-lock.com/index.html
Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JZHeyde
Thanks for the suggestions guys...I am gonna continue to think about it. I have had some bad luck with the blue snap connectors in the past thats all. Possibly it could have been improper installation but whatever it was I do not want any problems with this install.

I am leaning towards removing some insulation and soldering a wire onto it. I might even go as far as cutting the wire so I can get some heat shrink back around the soldered splice. I was just looking to see if anyone had any pros/cons or other suggestions. Thanks guys,

Jamin
Many people use the snap connectors and are fine. I just do not trust them. I do not like not being able to see the actual finished connection and don't want to worry about the connection going bad later when you least expect it. Particularly if you use the wrong size they can cut the wire and it can break some day giving a poor or no connection.

When tapping into an existing wire I much prefer to take an exacto knife and CAREFULLY strip the insulation away for about 3/4". As was said be careful and take your time. The wire is thin and easy to cut. (Find a place where you have as much room on both ends of the splice point. It makes the job easier particularly when the wire is in a bundle of wires.) Then wrap the new wire tightly around the stripped wire. Solder the connection. Lay the new wire along the existing wire. Get some good electrical tape like Scotch or 3M, Don't use the cheap stuff. Wrap the splice with 2 or 3 layers of tape overlapping about 1/2-3/4" on both ends. Then to keep the tape from ever coming loose. Put a small ty-wrap on each end and one in the middle if you want.

You will have a good connection that you won't have to ever worry about. (Even if you accidentaly cut a strand or 2 the solder will keep the splice strong.)
Old 04-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Launching!

"terry s"

This is exactly what I was thinking about. I really dont trust the snap connectors. There are a lot of guys saying they have no problems with them but I dont trust the longevity of this type of connection. I am going to work on it tomorrow and do what you suggested. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Thank you,

Jamin
Old 04-30-2006, 10:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

im jsut going to use the tach signal off my mallory 685 box....