Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 coil and 2 valves???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1 coil and 2 valves???

OK....now that I got your attention and hopefully that of Harris Speed Works. I was thinking of a fail safe design for my wet nitrous installation. I thought if my fuel coil ever failed to operate....my engine would be doomed. So, I thought if I blew a fuse...it should be one fuse for both Nitrous and fuel and hence the problem resolve.

Now, with that said, I work in an industry that utilizes solenoids throughout the whole factory. Many with more than one valve and many that are not 1 way but also 2 way and 3 way valves.......and I thought why don't someone like HSW offer a valve that offers both nitrous and fuel (2 valves) on one solenoid. It would have a common shaft and solenoid....so if it ever fails, both valves fail together making it safe.....and not flood your intake with raw nitrous. In addition, they could go as far as making the nitrous valve a 3 way valve allowing the user to purge also on the same coil?

This would to me be the ultimate and safest valve on the market. Guys, I only metion HSW in this thread because it seems they're the only ones on the cutting edge technology when it comes to nitrous and all other nitrous companys seem to go nowhere.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

interesting concept
Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its certainly a good idea but with some pretty big challanges.

1. the mass of the piston is important for fast response escpecially when using a progressive conroller. Any shaft with seals would add a signifigant ammount of mass.
2. sealing the nitrous and the fuel, and making sure they don't mix. Any nitrous leaking into the fuel system would be disasterous.

Someone did already do this concept. I forgot the company name, but if I remember correctly they were out of Florida. They made/ make just what you are describing, but instead of a solenoid valve they use pneumatics. A common piston opens 2 seperate circuts, 1 fuel and 1 N20. I'm sure if you search around you could find a pic of it. I have never actually seen one in person, just pictures of the thing.
Vinny
Old 05-02-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

One valve controls both the Nitrous and Fuel delivery. http://www.combo-flo.com/products_cf400.htm
Old 05-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Vinny, with a large enough coil and spring rate, I would believe it would be possible. As for the valve bodies mixing the nitrous and the gas together, if a company decided to do this, I have seen stackable valve bodies on a single shaft. They would screw together within the same shaft.....this would isolate the two from mixing within the same valve construction. In addition, users would never have to be concern of timing of the 2 valves because of a common shaft and coil. Sure, this construction would be expensive at first and eventually be the ultimate valve/coil system on the market.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Launching!

While I'm at it....I have seen E to P proportional valves in the industrial world where the valve assembly accepts a 4 to 20 ma to allow pressures from 0 to 100% of the supply. Of course these have to be sized accordingly.....has anyone seen these types of valves being used with wet systems????