Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sponsor/Vendors of Nitrous Solenoids..E85 chat...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sponsor/Vendors of Nitrous Solenoids..E85 chat...

Ok, without a war, if you could please state your take on the effects of E85, if you've done any testing with your particular brand of Solenoids, or have heard of issues, long term, short term exposure, etc. Will this cause any issues with warranties, if your brand is covered under warranty? Seems to be some users stating E10 will ruin the seals, and others say no. With E85 hitting the East Coast area and probably elsewhwere, it may become more and more an issue. I'd like to hear from Sponsor/Vendors on THEIR products, as well as any users with personal experience (none of the "well I have a friend, who's cousins' neighbor....").

Charlie

Lets continue to keep it clean
Old 05-15-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Id like to know that too?
Old 05-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Ok being 85% ethanol the pistons will need to be changed to fit the needs of that fuel. There is only one material at this time that works on all fuel and addititves, Teflon. The problem with Teflon is it does not like to seal at low pressures. So NX has a piston that will work with this fuel, but if reg. unleaded is used the swelling issue will pop up. Now the 10% blend usually is not enough blend to effect any of the MFG. noids, its the UNnone attitives that usually is the underlining swelling problem. We are working with new materials and designs that hopefully will work in all worlds, only time will tell.
My question is can an E85 car run regular unleaded or are they bound to only drive in the areas where that fuel is available. One thing is for sure the customers will need to be more pro active in the maintance and upkeep of the nitrous systems solenoids.
More to come.
Ricky
Old 05-15-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

although im not affected by this, i have a question. would it be the best to run a standalone fuel setup using non ethanol fuel until it is concretely decided how to properly deal with E85 and fuel solenoids
Old 05-15-2006, 10:36 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, it would be a good solution and at the same time a somewhat expensive one. On the flip side there are a few other benefits of running a stand-alone system that can outweigh the initial cost. Regular maintenance (inspection of the fuel solenoid(s)) of a nitrous kit can easily catch a potential problem. Like what was stated above there is no magic bullet that will work with all the fuels out there. I believe the 10 percent blend with ethanol is pretty much country wide now, but E85 might be a bit off as there aren't a lot of vehicles on the road that can run it.

Matt

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
although im not affected by this, i have a question. would it be the best to run a standalone fuel setup using non ethanol fuel until it is concretely decided how to properly deal with E85 and fuel solenoids
Old 05-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Restricted User

So far so good. E85 Vehicles from my understanding are only to be run on that fuel. Whereas Flex-Fuel can run either. Maybe our answer lie in the Flex Fuel setup, what is used in place of rubber/silicone etc? Something has to give since it works in a multifuel platform.
I agree that dedicated fuel setup for wet guys is the best option for now, and later.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info. here. I am bulding a Twin Turbo truck that I would like to run on E85. Two major problems. First they do not carry it here. We produce a great deal of it in my state but it is all shipped out of state. Then there is lack of GOOD information I need to desighn and tune the fuel system. 95% of the info you find say do not do use new flex cars. I don't want or have a flex car! i have a 79 Chevy Step Side Pick-up with twin turbo's and a Mega Squirt.

I will take any GOOD information I can get! Google SUCK for this LOL

I DID find good info on distilling my own fuel
Old 05-16-2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Good info.

I DID find good info on distilling my own fuel
Ok I wonder if the FED will have a problem if people start making there own fuel, ethanol.. For the cars not for drinking.

Ricky
Old 05-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Restricted User

No other thoughts on this topic? Weird.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:34 AM
10 Second Club

If your using nitrous in a flex fuel vehicle your going to have to be changing jets for the E85, right? However, if you have to stop and put in a half a tank of unleaded somewhere you'd be all screwed up jetting wise. Ricky, E85 people could just run alky noids right? I would say if you have a flex fuel vehicle, try a dry kit.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also going to suggest the alky/nitro noids that NOS has, I think they are teflon? With that said, it seems that NX is on top of this issue according to Ricky, as we would expect from NX. It does seem that this is a growing problem. On one of the forums the talk was on the additives and a few guys were stating such as though they new (can't remember what/when/where) what exactly the additives were. The easiest cure is to go DRY, hehehe.

Hey Ellis, a twin turbo truck? When did you get this?
Robert
Old 05-19-2006, 10:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Rick, imagine a tax on corn growers....How about a permit to grow corn....You know big brother wants thier tax....

On the noid issue, Rick and I have talked a bit about this. Im thinking now that all the gas companies have switched to 10% blend that they might not be using any aditives in thier fuels to up the octane. I was under the impression the aditives were to increase octane on some fuels. They add them at the tanker pump stations right into the tankers before they fill the trucks...Not sure what they are up to. I know exxon uses a ton of aditives...Were currently testing some new seal materials that will work with both alky and unleaded fuels... will post results when done. Teflon works but it does leak to much at such low pressures...
Old 05-19-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Easiest way to easily check the fuel noid is simply activate the system as operated normally just leave the N2O bottle blocked in....If it bogs the noid is fine. If it doesnt, you have a swelled plunger. Ive been doing it this way for YEARS.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Easiest way to easily check the fuel noid is simply activate the system as operated normally just leave the N2O bottle blocked in....If it bogs the noid is fine. If it doesnt, you have a swelled plunger. Ive been doing it this way for YEARS.
I also do this when I wanna purge the extra air out of the system with a small shot and then let off on the throttle a little slow to suck all the remaining fuel down the intake. IMO and from other people I have asked I dont see a danger with puddling with a small shot and if you do it at WOT until about 5K RPM and let off the throttle a little slow.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
If your using nitrous in a flex fuel vehicle your going to have to be changing jets for the E85, right? However, if you have to stop and put in a half a tank of unleaded somewhere you'd be all screwed up jetting wise. Ricky, E85 people could just run alky noids right? I would say if you have a flex fuel vehicle, try a dry kit.
Yes jetting would have to be adjusted. But I do not think the cars can run on both. and we are still looking for a do all piston.

Ricky
Old 05-20-2006, 07:15 PM

Ok to start with there are 2 types of fuels that poeple refer to or call alky.
Ethanol = organic pure aka moonshine..haha
Methanol = petroleum

The E85 cars I am not sure but I do not know think they will be able to run reg unleaded in them. If that is so the mfg kinda screwed that one up, 02's could be set up to adjust the fuel depending on air fuel only.

If your system is set up to run an alky piston and you introduce gasoline the piston will well up. We are play with several durometers to help slow this but it still seems to happen over time.

Just got another set of pistons in for the trail tests.

One thing to consider is the using a simple stand alone, if you are running a wet kit.

I dry kit would not need the fuel tank but we will have to see if the future maf/e85 work as good as the current set ups. The amount of fuel being added even for a 100 shot is going to be much much larger than current set ups, and may be past the injectors ability to support.

Ricky
Old 05-20-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
I also do this when I wanna purge the extra air out of the system with a small shot and then let off on the throttle a little slow to suck all the remaining fuel down the intake. IMO and from other people I have asked I dont see a danger with puddling with a small shot and if you do it at WOT until about 5K RPM and let off the throttle a little slow.
You can let off the throttle any way you wish, it wont backfire.