Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need a keyed 12 volt source asap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default i need a keyed 12 volt source asap

im wiring my dyno tune kit and dont know much about wiring, and i need to know which wire to tap into? and i need specific info cause i am a retard with wiring so please be as specific as possible.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the radio, the cigarette lighter, and the ASR all have keyed power, what are you putting in?
I ask because if it's a high amp draw you may start blowing fuses
Old 05-19-2006, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big bundle under the sterring column. Unwrap the tape.... find the BIG PINK wire. This is 12v switched.
Tap into that. Rewrap-
Old 05-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Launching!

thanks for the help i am wiring up my dry nitrous kit and have 3 switches that i need to connect. My girlfriends dad suggested the ign fuse that is empty has anyone tried that before?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Vin @ 860 showed me this

Use one hot wire and Y them like this to reduce the number of wires run and tapped off your source. The red is hot, The blue I did the same thing and is for the ground.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Vin @ 860 showed me this

Use one hot wire and Y them like this to reduce the number of wires run and tapped off your source. The red is hot, The blue I did the same thing and is for the ground.
Yeppers. That will work as long as the load from the second circuit(switch) is below the amp rating for the ground and source wire.... one thing I dont understand in the pic is why you have a larger source wire than ground? They have to carry the same current....
Old 05-19-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
one thing I dont understand in the pic is why you have a larger source wire than ground? They have to carry the same current....
That was me trying to learn the technique (how much to strip the ends, whether to double the ends over etc) and that was done using what was laying around, the panel I wired I used 16 Ga for all the switches, both ground and hot side. The switches go to relays all except for the bottle opener.

Good eye on your part!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
That was me trying to learn the technique (how much to strip the ends, whether to double the ends over etc) and that was done using what was laying around, the panel I wired I used 16 Ga for all the switches, both ground and hot side. The switches go to relays all except for the bottle opener.

Good eye on your part!
Hehe. BTW I freaking LOVE your panels! Nice work! How can I get the Z06 model?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a simple way to get power without cutting or splicing into your wiring.

You can get an Add A Circuit made by Little Fuse. They make them for mini fuses and for the larger size fuses (ATM)
http://www.littelfuse.com/cgi-bin/r....ION=uaJr245Cxy

Other manufactures may make them also but I'm not sure. I got mine at Auto Zone for about $6.00. (NAPA has them but they want about $17.00 each. )

You take out a fuse and plug in the Add a Circuit where the fuse came out of. It has 2 fuse slots. One for the original circuit. You put the fuse you took out in that slot. You put a new fuse in the other slot. Then you connect the wire coming from the add a circiut to what ever you are using the new circuit for. They say not to use over a 10 amp fuse for the new circuit. Once you see it and read the directions it is real simple.

If you do not have one get a cheap 12 volt test light. It will have a clip on a wire that you hook to any good ground. (sometimes you need an extension wire to get to a ground if the wire on the test light is not long enough to reach a ground. The other end will have a pointed end like an ice pick.

Once you have the ground wire hooked up if you touch the pionted end to a 12 volt source the light will come on. Try it on your battery if you don't know how to use it.

If you will look at the end of the fuse where the amp # is there is a small exposed metal place on each side of the #. With the ignition switch off and your ground wire hooked up, touch the pointed end to the lttle metal place. If the light comes on you have a fuse that is hot all if the time. You do not want that fuse if you want a switched circuit that is on only when the ignition is on.

If you want a fuse that is only hot when the ignition switch is on find a fuse where the test light comes only when the ignition switch is on.

The test light is handy when looking for a blown fuse. Instead of taking the fuse out to look at it touch the test light tip to both sides of the fuse. If it lights on one side but not the other you have found a blown fuse.

You said you don't know much about wiring, so I hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'm going to find that big pink wire *same with LT1's, right?* and just tap into that as my 12v source for my arming switch, and just use whatever as a ground.

Do I need to hook up the ground before I splice into the wire for the 12v source?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

ADD-A-FUSE!!!! dont waste time splicing into wires....thats jsut foolish,ive wired stereos, interior lights,and head units many times and always use Add-a-fuse...go to murrys,autozone,meijer or whatever and pick one up....use any 10a fuse and under with add-a-circuit....

Quick Reply: i need a keyed 12 volt source asap