Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solenoid Testing / Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solenoid Testing / Rebuild

Probably a stupid question, but since I've never done it before here we go. Is there an FAQ on how to rebuild / check your solenoids? What tools / components do I need? What am I looking for? Thanks!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:53 AM
Restricted User

Hmm...not sure, haven't browesed the FAQ's Sticky.

In short.
You will need to remove the noid from its mounting bracket and unplug wiring.
Remove the nut on top of the noid cover. Set nut aside.
Carefully lift cover off, with it will come the coil (has the two wires attached to it), and a washer at the bottom. Set them aside.
Now, using a snap ring plier, or similar tool, grip the two dimples found on the base of the tower (you will see there are two small dimples, I used a pair of small needle nose pliers for mine, just dont scratch the tower up). Once loosened, carefully unscrew the tower, being ready for the spring loaded piston inside to fall out. Inside the tower is a spring with a piston on it, which is the stopped for flow.
Removing all fittings attached to the noid base, use an airgun to blow out the passages ini the base of the noid. Ensure there is no dirt, tape, or thread sealant inside the noid base clogging the passages.
Replace the piston and spring assembly, reinsert into the tower, screw tower onto noid base, and tighten. Install washer, coil and cover, ensure its on the right side, install nut ontop of noid and tighen.

Testing. Other than I always recommend to test only one noid at a time (sometimes you will hear a click and think its working, but in all actuality its the other noid clicking). I listen for a click. Click is good. If no click, use a screwdriver held slightly above the noids top, and trip the circuit, it should pull the screwdriver down to the top of the noid with a good magnetic force. NITROUS NOID WORKING TEST: Finally, pointing the nozzle in a safe direction, trip the circuit by hand w/ bottle open to test nitrous flow, it should plume out nicely as long as the circuit is active. FUEL NOID WORKING TEST: A... with bottle off, engine running, nozzle pointed into a large container, trip the circuit and allow the fuel to spray into the container. OR B...once installed, bottle closed, jet the fuel for a 100shot, drive down the road at normal pace and then arm and activate the nitrous circuit (WOT, pushbutton or whatever...) and the additional fuel should make the car bog heavily. If so, your good.

Hope this helps and hope I didnt miss any steps...I am sure someone will chime in and let us know.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just rebuilt mine today really pretty easy,Pull the top nut,then the coil,jam nut the shaft pull that out,replaced plunger inspec'd o ring,reassemble.As for testing them i usually make jumper wires to ground and to battery + and hold fuse between the wire and the + post,and hit it to the post to see if they work
BTLFEDSS
Old 05-14-2007, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always just leave the wiring in tact and take the nut and lines off. takes about five minutes and I do not have to cut any wires

Solenoid wreches are cheap. I just ordered four of the from Dave

Having the right tool makes life much easier