Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time nitrous, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default First time nitrous, need advice.

Hi everyone. Well I'm getting parts together for my first shot at nitrous.

I have a 94 z28 M6. I replaced a blown head gasket back in Dec-Jan. While in there I replaced the valve springs with ones from comp cams and also installed 1.6 promagnums. I also installed a new timing chain set from GM at the time, new pushrods from Clevite. The head gasket went when my hypertech 160 thermostat decided to fail in the closed position. I have about 135k miles on it now. I also have a K&N fipk, bbk coated shorties with their ypipe, 3 inch flowmaster catback, !cat, MSD 6a, MSD coil, Jet stage II pcm, 170 be cool thermostat, slp short throw. I installed a LS1 driveshaft, 2000 ws6 calipers, Baer decelarotors, and have Spohn chromoly LCAs, panhard rod and torque arm. The rear end is all stock at the moment with the 3.42s. I'm running 275/45 sumitomo htr+ for tires. Bilstein shocks, stock springs. I've been hearing the flowmaster is no good to run through, well I have a exhaust cutout going in when I get back to my car. I went cheap on that and will have to uncap it by hand oh well. I intend to uncap it every time I spray. The car will probably see nitrous use two weekends a month or so. I intend to spray a 100 shot, nothing more, nothing less.

I got a zex dry kit with purge for cheap off ebay that was installed on a 2000 ss. I also have a MSD 3 stage retard and will have the MSD window switch.
My first question is using the retard can I pull enough timing to compensate for the Jet PCM? I don't want to pull it out every Friday and reinstall it every Sunday. I'm not even sure how much timing there is with the Jet installed? If I were to be over cautious but not so much to kill a lot of power, how much timing should I pull?

My next issue is spark plug selection, I've looked at the iridiums and zex plugs and yeah I'm really lost here. I have no idea which plugs I should run. Also how many miles do they usually last before I should swap them out? Does how many times I run nitrous affect this? I purchased the slp spark plug socket, it seemed to make the plugs pretty easy to do this last time.

Nitrous filters, is the NOS one the best one, or is this a area where it dosen't chage much? I'm glad I came here, because well I didn't even think about this until I started reading stuff here.

I know someone just showed the guts to a zex kit, but well this is my first kit, has anyone had issues with their zex kits?
I was also wondering if anyone here is using the Zex air ejector amplifier? I like how I wouldn't have to tap my intake if I use this, but I was wondering if the largest one was about as big as the filter K&N supplied with the cold air. I also wondered if the Zex filter would fit on the K&N intake??

I got a autometer nitrouis pressure gauge and electronic fuel pressure gauge to keep a eye on things, should I invest in a a/f gauge also??

And the thing thats really killing me, where is a good spot to put all these boxes? I now will have a zex box, msd retard and window switch to deal with. Is there somewhere I can neatly put all this stuff? I don't have TCS or a pesky light box like T/As, so the 6a is just sitting between the K&N and the fender there. I'm not sure where I am going to mount the bottle either. I guess I'm not really trying to hide it. Is there any regulations at the track for having it between the back seats, or does it just need a blow down tube for track use?? I do know I won't be mounting it where the spare goes, I will always carry the spare, I have bad luck with tires.

I know this is long, but I thank you in advance. I just don't want to blow up my first time flipping that switch, especially since I just put it back together not too long ago.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill say go with TR-6 NGK plugs and a fuel pump and you should be fine on taking timing out 4-5 deg should do somone else will correct me if im wrong. And the zex kit will work there not a bad it . And yes pick up a filter for the nitrous and a filter is a filter CF,NX,NOS,ZEX just get one.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also suggest the NGK TR6 plugs. I would also get the jet chip removed & invest in a real dyno tune. Then you will have no worries & no changing things each weekend.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I got a autometer nitrouis pressure gauge and electronic fuel pressure gauge to keep a eye on things, should I invest in a a/f gauge also??

I recommend the LM-1 wideband from innovate.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on running the Granatelli 255lph pump. Unless someone has had issues with this pump or thinks another pump is a lot better.
Anyone know where I can find a list of dyno tuners? I'm usually stuck around the Fresno, CA area.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd recommend checking what exactly is involved with Jet's tune. Try to find someone near you with HP Tuners or EFI Live and see where your timing is at and what else was changed. Otherwise, I agree with totally removing the tune and having a new one done. You could always just pull some timing, but its better to do it the right way.