Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

am i an idiot for going N20???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i an idiot for going N20???

im really interested in getting a 100-150 wet shot dynotune kit... but my car has 133k miles.... and has piston slap @ cold startup, but runs good otherwise... would nitrous be a mistake?

prolly a stupid question... lol
Old 06-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Restricted User

On one hand you run better than ever before, the other hand you have a good reason to upgrade to a new Iron Block 408 w/ no piston slap or cold satrt issue.. Yes your an idiot, enjoy it.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAT3
On one hand you run better than ever before, the other hand you have a good reason to upgrade to a new Iron Block 408 w/ no piston slap or cold satrt issue.. Yes your an idiot, enjoy it.

i cant afford that... so i guess im stay n/a
Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Restricted User

You can run nitrous, but I want to make certain you understand the potential is there for needing a new shortblock. Some ppl dont care, some think everyone should be able to pay if they play...I would rather warn you up front. Now, with that typed, you can run a smaller shot, very conservative on tune, and be "safe". How safe is nitrous...some ppl will be able to run a 250shot on a stock bottom with no issues, some will blow the engine apart on a little 100shot. Making sure the engine is sound is first, safety equipment is second, tuning is ALWAYS.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Run it with all safety devices. Cold plugs, WOT switch, window switch, Fuel pressure switch. It should be fine if the engine is in good condition already.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by treysoucie
i cant afford that... so i guess im stay n/a
I think you ask a good question. I ran a Zex 175 on my old Ls1 and wiped a cam bearing at 65,000 miles. Probably had nothing to do with nitrous. Hell, I had fun running a soft kit but knew that there was a long list of things that would make my used $12,000 car a used $30,000 car if the crap hit the fan. And I definately crapped the fan to do it. Now you don't have to do what I did...but as was said earlier, if you do run a shot, be prepared for the consequenses..it will probably be engine...rear... then..........
Old 06-05-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive been trying to get info on a 408 iron block, but since im a total newb... i think im keep researching it...

trey
Old 06-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Restricted User

What does a 408 IB have to do with Nitrous? Other than if built for sauce they mos.def. put some hurting on the track
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Hey everyone told me I was crazy for spraying on my motor and it was the BEST thing to ever happen to it! 207K and it LOVES the SPRAY!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What does a 408 IB have to do with Nitrous? Other than if built for sauce they mos.def. put some hurting on the track
YOU STARTED IT!!! lol:

the other hand you have a good reason to upgrade to a new Iron Block 408 w/ no piston slap or cold satrt issue.. Yes your an idiot, enjoy it.

trey
Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

You can run nitrous, but I want to make certain you understand the potential is there for needing a new shortblock. Some ppl dont care, some think everyone should be able to pay if they play...I would rather warn you up front. Now, with that typed, you can run a smaller shot, very conservative on tune, and be "safe". How safe is nitrous...some ppl will be able to run a 250shot on a stock bottom with no issues, some will blow the engine apart on a little 100shot. Making sure the engine is sound is first, safety equipment is second, tuning is ALWAYS.

and what do you know??

Mike
Old 06-06-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the facts are if you run any motor hard, they USUALLY dont live as long.

if you're nitrous smart, and you actually stay that way, you wont noticeably shorten the lifespan of your motor compared to you beating it just as much NA... just as much at that same powerlevel.... what im saying is the nitrous itself may not kill it, but using any motor in a drag racing environment on a regular basis does shorten its lifespan.

now, over time most people become complacent in their nitrous usage.. and eventually it bites them in the ***. if you treat it with a healthy respect, understand it, and apply what you know... then you're fine...

...but you do have to understand that one bonehead mistake can cost your motor. while you may do your best to minimize that risk, it is always there. its no different then owning a handgun, working with explosives, or even filling up the gas in your car. there is a constant inherent danger in working with it, however it can be minimized to reasonable risk, if the proper precautions are taken.
the true problem is human nature itself... after 6 months of hitting that bottle everyday, you might not be as careful as you were when you first bought it.

thats the closest to a straight answer i can give you.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
the facts are if you run any motor hard, they USUALLY dont live as long.

if you're nitrous smart, and you actually stay that way, you wont noticeably shorten the lifespan of your motor compared to you beating it just as much NA... just as much at that same powerlevel.... what im saying is the nitrous itself may not kill it, but using any motor in a drag racing environment on a regular basis does shorten its lifespan.

now, over time most people become complacent in their nitrous usage.. and eventually it bites them in the ***. if you treat it with a healthy respect, understand it, and apply what you know... then you're fine...

...but you do have to understand that one bonehead mistake can cost your motor. while you may do your best to minimize that risk, it is always there. its no different then owning a handgun, working with explosives, or even filling up the gas in your car. there is a constant inherent danger in working with it, however it can be minimized to reasonable risk, if the proper precautions are taken.
the true problem is human nature itself... after 6 months of hitting that bottle everyday, you might not be as careful as you were when you first bought it.

thats the closest to a straight answer i can give you.

preciate it...
i dont think i really needed to make this thread...
all of its seems common sense.

trey
Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Restricted User

trey, although common sense, some ppl will look around that aspect and go right for the 200 shot on stock block with no tuning! I like the idea of hitting the bottle like jr high kid, then working your way into high school, and eventually when the liver lets go replacing it with a big bad *** one. So get yourself a lil 50/75/100 shot and work your way up Come on you know you wanna.....
Old 06-06-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

trey, although common sense, some ppl will look around that aspect and go right for the 200 shot on stock block with no tuning! I like the idea of hitting the bottle like jr high kid, then working your way into high school, and eventually when the liver lets go replacing it with a big bad *** one. So get yourself a lil 50/75/100 shot and work your way up Come on you know you wanna.....

ya, i know...
maybe a lil wet 75 shot courtesy of dynotune...
Old 06-06-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by treysoucie
ya, i know...
maybe a lil wet 75 shot courtesy of dynotune...
No matter what sixe shot or what kit you get, you MUST, and i cant stress this more, install colder plugs (NGK TR6 .038-.035 gap) before spraying. I have seen quite a few threads recently with nitrous damaged engines due to them not feeling like taking the time to swap plugs and they wound up getting major engine damage.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brad8266
No matter what sixe shot or what kit you get, you MUST, and i cant stress this more, install colder plugs (NGK TR6 .038-.035 gap) before spraying. I have seen quite a few threads recently with nitrous damaged engines due to them not feeling like taking the time to swap plugs and they wound up getting major engine damage.

that never crossed my mind...
thanks, i coulda f'd some **** up....

thanks,
trey
Old 06-06-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problem. I try as i can to keep people from believing the myth about nitrous being so dangerous for an engine. As long as all nitrous supporting mods are done it is all good.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what other things should i do in conjunction with a 75 shot?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

post 5 notes the basics that ya will want.