Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

next racing - nitrous update

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default next racing - nitrous update

A little background - My setup consists of a 408 with AFR 225s, 10.5-1 compression, a small hydraulic cam and previously had an LS6 intake with an NOS direct port. With that setup the car went a best of 9.13 @ 149 (375 shot) and made 774 rwhp/758rwtq when jetted with a 400 shot.

I've now teamed up with NX for my nitrous system and Ricky fabricated a custom 2 stage kit into my new Victor Jr intake. The kit included a Gemini plate and a really trick set of custom spray bars plumbed into the plenum that spray directly into each runner. Even the guys at Fastest Street Car mag were extremely impressed with what they saw.

Now to the test results - the car has seen some dyno time trying to dial in the new setup. With the Victor Jr and new Kook's headers the car picked up 30rwhp with the motor tune.

The good stuff - with one kit jetted at 200hp the car made 762rwhp/885rwtq. The second stage was then tested by itself and on a 250hp shot it made 741rwhp/841rwtq. Compared with the baseline from motor on a nitrous tune, it picked up 330 & 310 rwhp from each individual kit. Since this is a race setup, I'm happy with however big I can get the power level.

Both kits were then hit with a slight delay in the second stage. The results were that this was just too much to ask for from an LSx setup on the dyno. There was some consequential engine damage from lifting the heads and destroying the head gaskets.

I'm taking the positives from this experience. Ricky at NX can build a killer kit. A no-load dyno is not the place to test really large shots with an LSx. Hurting a motor can provide you some very well earned experience and knowledge.

The motor is now in progress of being repaired. I've sent the car to Eastside Performance as I believe they have the most experience with this level of nitrous on an LSx motor. I've spent time at the track racing against these guys and have established a great relationship with all of them. They have already come up with some recommendations that should net solid results. The first is a change to the nitrous second stage. Holding the heads on these motors tend to be the weak link and these NX plate kits hit hard.

The changes to nitrous system will be coming from Ricky at NX. We will continue utilizing the custom spray bar kit and swapping to an NX direct port for the second stage. The idea is that this will provide a softer hit over the plate system for the second stage. Nitro Dave and I are currently talking about him doing the plumbing of the NX direct port on the Victor Jr.

The car will be back to terrorizing the track soon. Stay tuned for more updates.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can only imagine what it looked like when both kits came on. The 4 bolts a cylinder is DEFINITELY a weak link.

You will have it up in no time and those wer some great numbers Eric.

best of luck to you!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:44 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

dear god... I can only imagine.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Restricted User

Holy smoke your block! Very nice details and results...about how long you expect you'll be down Eric?

Charlie
Old 06-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

so like 1xxx/1xxx hp/tq on nitrous..........DAMN!

goodluck and im sure the final results will WOW us all
Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric,

I am sure i could find you a clean lt1 block, you know they have 5 bolts per cylinder, albeit shared, but it does beat the four bolts damn shame i couldn't get a full run, but i had no issues with 400 at the track

sorry to hear about the carnage. Roman experienced the same type of thing on the dyno, but that was partially due to some people not know wtf they were doing on the dyno!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:46 PM

NEXT your car is in good hands, if ya listen to Ken he will get ya up and running strong
Old 06-19-2006, 08:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn! Nice numbers Eric and sorry to hear about the damage. I have been in your shoes a couple of times and it really sucks! But like you said you can learn from it and keep on going. All of the big hitters have to pay to play and learn the hard way before getting to the top. Most people do not realize this and give up after the first battle. Take this for the positive and use it for the good. Let me know if I can help out.

Tony
Old 06-19-2006, 09:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those numbers are crazy for just a single shot. Not trying to knock on you, but what did you expect to happen with a 450+ shot. That's the biggest shot I've ever heard someone try to run on a gen III. I guess you gotta push the limits sometimes, but this time it came back to bite you. Hopefully it's an easy fix and you can hit the track again soon enough. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't think the car will be down long as ESP has already started working on it.

The dyno numbers were never the goal. I've never made very good numbers but the car has run strong. The goal was to test it how it was gonna run at the track but I've learned a lesson there at this power level on gas with an LS1.

Grey - there were quite a few secret tricks applied to the weak link and it was still just too much with the plate kits hittin' that hard.

Taner - what's that? A Gene Fulton motor you say?

Chef - no doubt about Ken and his experience.

Beaflag - make up your mind. The smart *** comments followed by the good luck just doesn't go together. I'll just take the good luck.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Good luck Eric. Your monster will be back to the track soon. Eastside will do you right I'm sure.

Beaflag. You obviously don't know Eric. He always has pushed the envelope for more power. He will get it figured out and will be back stronger than ever.

David
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Bad *** results! What else did you hurt besides the head gaskets?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Damn, sorry to hear this. what was the rpm on for first then how much delay and what rpm for 2nd stage? Did it hold together at all for any amount of time with full hit? Maybe a progressive hit for second stage, might allow to go with a bigger hit and keep issues at bay. I know some of the guys are trying special adhesives for the gasket to help hold these together? Keep us updated.
Robert
Old 06-20-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

good luck on the rebuild and you got some ***** to spray a 450shot. What size shot are you going to run after the rebuild?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:36 AM
Restricted User

Looks guys Navy David is in here.....ahhhh.. Hey David whats that on the back of your car...no under the chute? Are those training wheels
Eric, please do update after tear down to detail the extent of damage.
Robert would that special adhesive be superglue
Old 06-20-2006, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

I guessed the first ending after the dyno numbers. I never stopped to consider the limitations but that seems like a lot to ask. I wish I had you patience.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CAT3
Looks guys Navy David is in here.....ahhhh.. Hey David whats that on the back of your car...no under the chute? Are those training wheels

Yep Learned my leason last year. Better be safe and than sorry. Still pisses me off about braking my great stock bottom end engine. Turbos don't have the torque as nitrous, but that top end is something else

Eric doesn't need luck, he has skill on his side.

David
Old 06-20-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Man that sucks. I hope things work out for you. That car is going to fly.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm sharing my experience so others can take from it what they choose. For me, this is expensive. For anyone reading this, it's free. Anyone that has tried to push the limits with gas on an LSx knows that it's a risk with the head bolt pattern.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by next
I'm sharing my experience so others can take from it what they choose. For me, this is expensive. For anyone reading this, it's free. Anyone that has tried to push the limits with gas on an LSx knows that it's a risk with the head bolt pattern.
eric, i saw some head gaskets off your car, i may reuse them on mine next year. lol.. jk.
you are in great hands, Ken and the esp guys are great, im lucky to have them on my side, and its sweet to add a car like yours to our team!
between your knolage and kens, im sure you will be ripping!
funny, everyone askes me all the time for numbers on spray, and they think im lieing when i tell them i never sprayed it on the dyno, but this is a good reason we never did.
good luck man, and look forward to racing with you soon!!