Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NX nitrous solenoid stuck closed (NX Boys/ Nitro Dave please have a look)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX nitrous solenoid stuck closed (NX Boys/ Nitro Dave please have a look)

I was doing a "test" run to see where my A/F was with a bottle pressure of 1100 and when I hit it, the car fell on its face. I was recording so I checked the log and saw my A/F go to 8.8 (the lowest I think my meter will read!). So I went home and tried to test fire the solenoid alone with the plumbing disconnected and jumping the positive lead to the battery post and only heard a slight "poof". When I purged the the normal sound/plume happened. I then took apart the solenoid to see if something had possibly blocked the opening but everything was clean, and yes I run a nitrous filter at the bottle. I then reassembled the solenoid and tried it again, and once more only a slight "poof". I was about to do the break down again and figured I would try it again and POW, the solenoid came to life and scared the **** out of me. It went off like a gun and sprayed a huge plume. I did this about 4 more times and it worked great. I then went in to clean my pants....

Now my question... Why did it do this? Is my coil getting weak? The purge worked fine but is 1100PSI to high for the ICEMAN Pure Flo Solenoid? Should I send it in to get rebuilt (what a pain that wiil be!)? Or did it just get stuck and needed to be taken apart?
Any help would be great especially if someone else has seen this.
Thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm, I would send it in to NX and have them check it out. You don't want this happening all of a sudden again. I have had a stuck n2o noid before, and just cleaned it and put it back together and it worked fine. But, you may have an electrical glitch, and that's why I suggest going direct to NX for a rebuild/check out. Iceman can take 1100psi, as all NX noids can. Maybe, Dave or Ricky will have some insight.
Robert
Old 06-21-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Robert.
I am thinking of sending both fuel and nitrous in for a "rebuild" if I send in one, seeing the system will be down. My thoughts exactly on the electrical side, and actually worried me for the first time being wet!

If this happened to the fuel solenoid, I would have had a major melt down, but I think the fuel solenoid works differently then the nitrous, but actually not 100% sure. Maybe one of the NX guys can answer that too, if they do operate differently (nitrous solenoids and fuel solenoids). I believe the nitrous pressure holds the nitrous solenoid closed and the coil opens it, while the fuel is held closed by spring pressure and the coil opens the flow. Very similar but different forces to overcome. I guess we will see if I am right about that...
Old 06-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

To start what size solenoid do you have.? 093 125 stainless or aluminum.

IF the 125 thats normal. at 125 you are the edge as far as pressure goes at 1050. 1100 and if the coil was hot no way would it open. The reason it slammed open the pressure came down just enough to make it work.

093 will open at 1100+ even hot. Now if the ground was poor could be a cuase.

LEts us know.
Ricky
Old 06-22-2006, 08:23 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be glad it was stuck closed! I had a fuel that was stuck closed, unfortunately the nitrous one was not! BAM. No damage, but a 100 shot of pure nitrous was certainly lound!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's a 125 and is SS. I am sure the coil was hot (as it usually is in the engine compartment). I had never had pressure that high and now know that can be a factor.
All electronics (power and gound) looked fine and were bypassed by me with still no fire.
As far as cooling down, yup, I was in the cool garage and had "purged" a few times to make sure I had pressure so that also checks with your statement and would have lowered the pressure.

I guess this pressure level is a new area for me (and my system) and had no clue I would have trouble. Good to know it's just an operator error with too high pressure. My knowledge is always a good thing.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Man that dosen't sound right to me. A NX noid not working because pressure rose 50psi? I have seen and run the small NOS noids that you couldn't touch because they were so hot, mounted on the cly head, run at way over there 950psi. Well over 150 runs at 100psi and greater over what is rec. Furthermore the same noids have seen over 1500psi repeatedly and never failed. So, I still think something is up with the noid, but Ricky is the NX guru, so if he says they will fail do to heat then they do. Now is this all of the 125 noids or just a small amount that falls into the accepted fail rate?
Robert
Old 06-23-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Must be a design issue with the 125, seeing that the purge had no trouble. My racing buddy has the 098 and has sprayed well above 1100psi (closer to 1200!) with no trouble. I am now wondering, seeing I am spraying under a 200 shot and do not plan on going bigger, should I switch to a 098 to bypass this problem? Would I see any issues going to that on my DP?
Old 06-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

NO design issue, just larger surface area. See the .125 hole being larger must use more amps to open. The down fall is at that orifce size we only have one choice of magnet. @1100 cold no problem, 1100 hot might be a problem about a 50/50 chance it will not open. The smaller the orifice the higher the pressure can go. But there is no reason to go above 1050 with an NX kit. The systems are flowed and tested at that pressure. Introducing a higher pressure that all the math and throws it out the window, also you introduce much quicker pressure drop problems, that can mess with any tuning.
Ricky
Old 06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ricky,
I follow you, but here in the warm Florida sun, pressure higher then 1050 can happen very easily. I am sure my Florida brothers know exactly what I mean.

Trust me, I did not heat my bottle to that level, just the car being outside for 4 hours did it on its own! I understand complete both higher or lower pressures result in different problems with the A/F ratio... Just surprised with the outcome I had.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe a Fire and Ice bottle heater/cooler is in order?
Robert
Old 06-27-2006, 08:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My noids are on the back of the rail agaist the firewall and i have trouble when its hot with them not opening. Never thought about the pressure coming in to play but that makes sense. I will lower mine to 1000 I had it set at 1100. Thanks for the tip Ricky
Old 06-27-2006, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow,
Not sure how I missed this post since it has my name in the tittle also.lol
Looks like Ricky has it handled so Ill just say HI.
I just did not want you to think I intentualy ignored your post.
Dave
Old 06-27-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Wow,
Not sure how I missed this post since it has my name in the tittle also.lol
Looks like Ricky has it handled so Ill just say HI.
I just did not want you to think I intentualy ignored your post.
Dave
No way Dave. You have always helped when needed, both on the forums and sales!

Quick Reply: NX nitrous solenoid stuck closed (NX Boys/ Nitro Dave please have a look)