Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna go bigger on cam HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna go bigger on cam HELP!

Right now my car is equipped with a 224/227 .563/.569 cam with a 114lsa. i choose this cam because its great for nitrious or boost. I am however not happy with the lope and feeling a bigger/better cam can be had with more power gains.

Here is the catch

1) I have stock heads
2) I have Upgraded Thunder Racing Hardened Pushrods already installed
3) I have upgraded Comp Cam Valve springs (Not Duals)
4) I have all the components i need to run a 100 shot. just have to order the switches.

An upgraded intake may be in the future but the stuff above is not changing. Just don't have the time or money to reupgrade the upgraded. There are only about 1k miles on this setup anyway and 25k on the car.

Can someone please let me know what kind of results they are getting with their cams and what one is right for me? I plan on keeping 3.42's. i like rougher idles (It will get tuned), and have no intentions on upgrading the Internals.

thanks!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Teching In

well i was lookin around and found this cam:

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=170&catid=44

113lsa would be decent for nitrious and is fair amounts larger then the one i have. anyone have any opinions on this camshaft?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:03 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by StylezTA
well i was lookin around and found this cam:

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=170&catid=44

113lsa would be decent for nitrious and is fair amounts larger then the one i have. anyone have any opinions on this camshaft?
Not with CC 918's springs he wont! Will it run, yep, will they break, yep!

You really need to swap springs, and for much bigger/more aggressive. Just because a spring will hold .xxx lift, doesnt mean it will last long and there are other issues to go along with it. I recommend PP Gold Springs/PRC Duals etc.. and then get with a custom cam grinder, Futral, Thunder, Ed Curtis (EDC on here) or others. Nitrous cams are traditionally a 12* split, but not always.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StylezTA
i choose this cam because its great for nitrious or boost. I am however not happy with the lope and feeling a bigger/better cam can be had with more power gains.
1) I have stock heads
I think you're about to make a mistake.
I would put your money into some good heads or head porting of your stockers, and a more specific tune.
If you want your idle to sound differently with the cam you have, a competent tuner can do that for you fairly easily without swapping cams.

Putting more strain on your valvetrain with more cam is the harder way to make some more top end power. Upping the nitrous shot is easier and makes more power across the board. A better tune will also do that.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

I say go with the MS3, it works well with nitrous. But on the other hand, it does limit you with the choice of heads. My MS3 times are in sig on 150 shot in 1/8 mile.