Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racetronix Fuel pump install questions!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racetronix Fuel pump install questions!!!!!

I am going to install a 150hp wet plate system on my 2000 M6 C5 coupe very soon and I need to add a new fuel pump.

I have decided on adding the Racetronix and I also found some decent install instructions from A&A corvette (thanks A&A).

Those of you who have installed the racetronix on the C5......is it difficult? Would I be better off paying someone to install it for me?

I am relatively mechanically inclined, but I just want to get some input from those of you who have actually installed one!

your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:22 AM
11 Second Club

Jon, with basic hand tools and your ability as described you should be able to do it without issue. The biggest factor is just taking your time and make sure to check and recheck your work. The only issue that I can foresee is whether or not you want to deal with the effort to do it. It is my personal belief that by doing it yourself it will help you become more familiar with your car and that is ALWAYS a good thing. Good luck with the install and if you need any phone support PM me and I will gladly shoot you my numbers if you like. Take care and good luck. Hope this helps.

Jim C.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Geek
Jon, with basic hand tools and your ability as described you should be able to do it without issue. The biggest factor is just taking your time and make sure to check and recheck your work. The only issue that I can foresee is whether or not you want to deal with the effort to do it. It is my personal belief that by doing it yourself it will help you become more familiar with your car and that is ALWAYS a good thing. Good luck with the install and if you need any phone support PM me and I will gladly shoot you my numbers if you like. Take care and good luck. Hope this helps.

Jim C.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

I also agree with you on the fact that it'll help me get more familiar with my car. I installed my LT's and enjoyed it imensly. It was a surprisingly easy install!

What would it cost to have a racetronix intalled?

It isn't just replacing a fuel pump, you actually have to replace the internals of the pump!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually a very easy job, once you understand the job. I did mine and took me 2 hours, I could now do it in less then 1. The instructions listed on some websites help, but do not give a complete breakdown. Some of the areas "missing" is how to drain the extra fuel out of the tank using the supplied wiring. This makes the job very easy.
Also, when you run the Hot Wire to the alternator, no details were given, but you can run them in the body under the door jam panel. I am sure most everyone did it this way, but nothing was noted!
Make sure, if you plan to do it, run your fuel down, and then have a 5 gallon fuel can to run the remaining fuel into (and to go back in!). Also I purchased a new sock filter which kept me cleaner and started everything fresh. The new Racetronix pumps are complete and very little disassembly of the pump in needed.
Good luck. This mod boosted my pressure to around 62-64 PSI at idle and only goes down to 56 when I am spraying my 175 shot under WOT.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

I also agree with you on the fact that it'll help me get more familiar with my car. I installed my LT's and enjoyed it imensly. It was a surprisingly easy install!

What would it cost to have a racetronix intalled?

It isn't just replacing a fuel pump, you actually have to replace the internals of the pump!
You are welcome and it is allot easier than you would think. I just got through replacing mine with a Racetronix. It doesn't take long at all to swap the internals. There was a REALLY good detailed article regarding the Racetronix swap in a recent GM High Tech Performance. Good luck with it either way.

Jim C.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Airwolf
Actually a very easy job, once you understand the job. I did mine and took me 2 hours, I could now do it in less then 1. The instructions listed on some websites help, but do not give a complete breakdown. Some of the areas "missing" is how to drain the extra fuel out of the tank using the supplied wiring. This makes the job very easy.
Also, when you run the Hot Wire to the alternator, no details were given, but you can run them in the body under the door jam panel. I am sure most everyone did it this way, but nothing was noted!
Make sure, if you plan to do it, run your fuel down, and then have a 5 gallon fuel can to run the remaining fuel into (and to go back in!). Also I purchased a new sock filter which kept me cleaner and started everything fresh. The new Racetronix pumps are complete and very little disassembly of the pump in needed.
Good luck. This mod boosted my pressure to around 62-64 PSI at idle and only goes down to 56 when I am spraying my 175 shot under WOT.
Thanks..........that is some incredibly helpful information.

Where can I get a "new sock" filter and exactly what is it?

Your fuel pressure is great! How did you measure the PSI? I'm hoping to see similar results to yours, except I PLAN on only spraying 150hp shot.

Again thanks for the guidance.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered the sock from the local dealership (the guys I deal with actually have knowledge) and it appears to me to be like a pre-filter of some type, keeping "stuff" out of the pump.
I have a fuel pressure sensor hooked up at the rails and the gauge is in my pillar pod along with my nitrous pressure gauge. You can see them mounted on my website listed in my sig.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Second Club

I ordered the sock from the local dealership (the guys I deal with actually have knowledge) and it appears to me to be like a pre-filter of some type, keeping "stuff" out of the pump.
I have a fuel pressure sensor hooked up at the rails and the gauge is in my pillar pod along with my nitrous pressure gauge. You can see them mounted on my website listed in my sig.
How much for the external filter that your speaking of? It may be worth it for the extra safeguarding.

Since its being pulled out, it might as well be replaced. I learned that when I chenged my clutch. Every time you pull the clutch change the slave cylinder........its just a good practice. They are a lot cheaper than having to pull the tranny/rear end!
Old 07-01-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's actually internal and is connected to the pump. You may see it on the pictures in the "how to" websites. They have you roll it up when you put the pump back in. I believe it was less then $20. It's been over a year and my memory is gone!
Old 07-02-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

It's actually internal and is connected to the pump. You may see it on the pictures in the "how to" websites. They have you roll it up when you put the pump back in. I believe it was less then $20. It's been over a year and my memory is gone!
Cool, thanks! I'll check with my local dealership.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to actually be putting my TNT wet plate kit in myself and with a bunch of friends. It shouldn't be hard, the wet plate kits are easier and with the wiring diagrams, everything should be pretty straight forward.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Racetronics kit is know real easy, the pump comes in a new bucket (one less thing) and includes a new sock. Did mine Jon, the biggest part of job will be pulling the exhaust and under body plate for wire routing. Here is the best link I have found. I also have new problems with my car and prob won't make the next series race.
http://www.cajundude.com/c5techhome.htm
Robert
Old 07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The instructions they provide you with are the most detailed instructions I've ever gotten with anything! They have nice color pictures too, just take your time and read everything and you cant mess it up.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
The instructions they provide you with are the most detailed instructions I've ever gotten with anything! They have nice color pictures too, just take your time and read everything and you cant mess it up.
The Vette kits do not come with directions. It is/was meant to be a vendor installed item only, so... Now I do know some of the other kits have directions. On the Thunder racing site they state this. Mine came with none.
Robert
Old 07-13-2006, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
The Vette kits do not come with directions. It is/was meant to be a vendor installed item only, so... Now I do know some of the other kits have directions. On the Thunder racing site they state this. Mine came with none.
Robert
Oh,do I feel stupid Is it a real labor intense job to do a fuel pump in a C5?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Robert
Yeah, Mine didn't come with any either. I'm gonna have to get with you for some help.........I've been thinking about taking it to Ellis to have it installed.

The base won't let you work on fuel systems. Bastages!!!

Did you get the electrical harness upgrade with your kit? Mine came with that and 2 fuel socks!!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Yeah, Mine didn't come with any either. I'm gonna have to get with you for some help.........I've been thinking about taking it to Ellis to have it installed.

The base won't let you work on fuel systems. Bastages!!!

Did you get the electrical harness upgrade with your kit? Mine came with that and 2 fuel socks!!
It's not hard at all, just some time. I'll show ya what/when/where on my car. I did mine in driveway in one afternoon, but allready had exhaust and torque plate removed.
Yep harness, and one sock.