Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need C5 Bottle install advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need C5 Bottle install advice!!

I'm planning on putting my bottle right behind the passangers seat on my C5 coupe so I can reach over and turn it on and off very easily.

But how can I bolt it down? I don't see any way to get under the rear area of the car to bolt down the bottle.

Has anyone done this to there cars? I would imagine Camaros and Firebirds would be the same.....since they too have coupe hatches!

Any help would be great!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

I just put mine in the back and went with the DynoTune Bottle Opener/Billet Bottle Bracket

Old 07-01-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
I just put mine in the back and went with the DynoTune Bottle Opener/Billet Bottle Bracket

That's what robert did with his as well. But I don't have a FRC, I have the coupe with the huge rear window. I would like to put it behind the passanger's seat facing the driver so I can turn it on while sitting in the drivers seat.

The issue is how to get the bolts to attach. I don't see a way to get under the floor of the rear compartment area to fasten down the bottle.

Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2006, 05:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have hidden mine in the large center storage compartment and use a bottle opener. It elimiates an issues with law enforcement, and looks really trick too!
Old 07-01-2006, 07:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
I have hidden mine in the large center storage compartment and use a bottle opener. It elimiates an issues with law enforcement, and looks really trick too!

Do you have any pictures?

I may have to do it that way. How did you mount it? How did you get to the bolts from under the car? Can you provide any pictures so I can get a clue.

Thanks for your reply
Old 07-01-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/3447/
has the bottle in the middle compartment and a how too.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

you grab a piece of wood and cut it to size 8"X12"x 3/4" or whatever. silicon it to the trunk floor under the carpet/insulation. reinstall carpet and place bottle holder on the spot and mark with white crayon your drilling holes. depending on your wood thickness grab the appropriate length screws and mount your bottle bracet.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks to the both of you! This is exactly what I will do!

The instructions are great however they don't explain how the board is attached to the vehicle!

But Chris's explination will remedy that problem, and the instructions will help with many other areas......

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

In that case you will like the bottle opener switch panel. DynoTune should have some in stock.

For the line Lock I can add another small momentary, or you can use the Cigarette lighter hole like I did with a big NOS/Edelbrock momentary...

Or do what Cajundude did
http://www.cajundude.com/linelock3.htm

Beer

Last edited by Beer99C5; 07-02-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Thanks to the both of you! This is exactly what I will do!

The instructions are great however they don't explain how the board is attached to the vehicle!

But Chris's explination will remedy that problem, and the instructions will help with many other areas......

Thanks!
yea the woods kinda a mandatory. you dont want to be drilling the rear tub right behind the seats cause youll end up catching the fuel tank with a screw or drill bit.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
In that case you will like the bottle opener switch panel. DynoTune should have some in stock.

For the line Lock I can add another small momentary, or you can use the Cigarette lighter hole like I did with a big NOS/Edelbrock momentary...

Or do what Cajundude did
http://www.cajundude.com/linelock3.htm

Beer
could you add the line lock to the panel, or would that not work?

All I want is a purge, arm, bottle heater, bottle opener, and line lock on one panel. Would this be a PITA or is there a better way. I like the idea of all the buttons being on one panel!

Do you think it would be better to seperate the line lock to the cigarette lighter like in you photos?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

Sent ya a PM
Old 07-04-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a set-up I was running last year (now have dual 15s). It is the 3/8 plywood Gorilla glued to the floor style. You can reach it from drivers seat very easily. I did the remote bottle opener a couple of times, but choose not to use the restriction and/or trouble maker any more, and we don't need it any way. This works for coupes or hardtops. The install you are talking about was in my coupe, Jon (pics in my web also). Sideways 15lb bottle mopunt pic in my links section (the way Chris stewart did it on his Z06, but works for coupes also). You'll have to see my Beer sw panel, which I was working on today and it's almost ready for pics. Maybe, Beer can post a pic of it as I have the line lock above the purge like you want.

Robert
Old 07-04-2006, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Beer99C5 is the man. I have sold and installed a couple of his switch panels and the customers love them. They offer that clean factory look. As for attaching the bottle to the car when you have it mounted on a board and placed in the rear center compartment. The weight of the bottle will hold it done just fine.. Make sure to mount the bottle at a little angle with the valve facing the front of the car, and when you mount the bottle in the bracket itself turn the bottle so that the siphon tube is towards the rear of the car. On the first couple of pases you'll be fine, but as you get low, you'll see the difference.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by charlie c5
Beer99C5 is the man. I have sold and installed a couple of his switch panels and the customers love them. They offer that clean factory look. As for attaching the bottle to the car when you have it mounted on a board and placed in the rear center compartment. The weight of the bottle will hold it done just fine.. Make sure to mount the bottle at a little angle with the valve facing the front of the car, and when you mount the bottle in the bracket itself turn the bottle so that the siphon tube is towards the rear of the car. On the first couple of pases you'll be fine, but as you get low, you'll see the difference.
Cool! Thanks Charlie.......I'm sure as I start the install, I'll have a bunch more questions. I'll definately do that though!

And Robert, I'm having beer make me a custom panel as we speak. He said he should have it finished this week and I'll be home early next week to pay for it and get him to mail it.

I'm gonna have to come over and check out your panel and setup. I can't wait to get home........I'm also buying some new brake discs and pads. That should be an easy install though, especially with the bases lifts and air tools. I've been downloading instructions on all kinds of things to get a feeling on how to do these installs (the panel, fuel pump, plate system, brakes) and I may be a little over whelmed to start. But with the aid of this site and you, I should be okay!

Oh, I bought Dave's wet plate system yesterday. He said he's going to try to get it in the mail soon so its at the house before I get home. Now I just need to order the brakes and pads. I don't think I'm gonna have the money for the roll cage this year! I may have to make it a winter project!
Old 07-04-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by charlie c5
Well you'll never pass tech if they check for a solid mount. Also, the carpet is just laying in the back, and if you were to hit the wall at 13x mph your bottle will surely become a deadly missile. I always screw and glue the panel down. If you use screws in the high part of the ribs yopu wont hit anything. Also, for those worried about hitting the fuel tank(s), don't worry, you'll miss them with a center mount bottle. i have had the entire rear section apart and there are other things you can hit, like emerg cables, but tanks aren't one of them. For anyone ready along, and not trying to bust Charlies *****, do not mount your bottle unless securely mounted to body/frame for safety.

Jon, I have new ceramic pads laying in my garage, also. Are you getting a 15lb bottle or a 10lb'er? The 15's are nice, as you only have to fill them half as many times as a 10lb'er. They also fit great in the vette, in any of the locations that have been talked about. You'll also like the dual 15lb'ers I have now (I am lazy and hate changing bottles). Yea, a lot of stuff to do, but doable for sure, just a step at a time. I got a lot done On mine the last couple days, after my clutch actuator issue. So, maybe we'll be able to start racing on the same day? see ya soon.

Robert
Old 07-05-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Well you'll never pass tech if they check for a solid mount. Also, the carpet is just laying in the back, and if you were to hit the wall at 13x mph your bottle will surely become a deadly missile. I always screw and glue the panel down. If you use screws in the high part of the ribs yopu wont hit anything. Also, for those worried about hitting the fuel tank(s), don't worry, you'll miss them with a center mount bottle. i have had the entire rear section apart and there are other things you can hit, like emerg cables, but tanks aren't one of them. For anyone ready along, and not trying to bust Charlies *****, do not mount your bottle unless securely mounted to body/frame for safety.

Jon, I have new ceramic pads laying in my garage, also. Are you getting a 15lb bottle or a 10lb'er? The 15's are nice, as you only have to fill them half as many times as a 10lb'er. They also fit great in the vette, in any of the locations that have been talked about. You'll also like the dual 15lb'ers I have now (I am lazy and hate changing bottles). Yea, a lot of stuff to do, but doable for sure, just a step at a time. I got a lot done On mine the last couple days, after my clutch actuator issue. So, maybe we'll be able to start racing on the same day? see ya soon.

Robert
I think it may be a 10lber. Its the bottle that comes with Dave's stock TB corvette plate system. He sold me a kit that includes a whole bunch of stuff.

Corvette plate Kit, automatic 860 bottle heater/bracket, NX purge, FPSS, NHRA fitting, blow down tube, nitrous pressure gauge, custom digital window switch w/ built in TPS and any gear lock out, and a set of TR6 plugs for just over a G!

The disc's I'm planning on purchasing come in a kit for all four wheels. They have the front and rear discs (your choice vented or slotted) but are factory size replacements and they come with the pads as well. The whole set for $600 or $700. My rear discs are seriously grooved from all the brake stands in the burnout box. But my front discs are fine. I just don't want to get vented or slotted discs and only have them for the back.

Have you ever changed discs before? I would think it would be pretty easy from the research I've done, however shimming the pads after they are installed seems like it may be a PITA.

Only one way to find out!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Bottle Opener? The panel I am making ya has an opener switch

Quick Reply: Need C5 Bottle install advice!!