Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Install Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous Install Tips and Tricks

Here's a chance to post your favorite nitrous install tips and tricks. Pictures welcome!! What mistakes have you made that you would like to warn others about? (Like drilling into the gas tank ) I'm fairly new to F-Bodies and brand new to nitrous. I've looked through the FAQ's and the Stickies but still have a couple of questions as far as installation. I tried the search but the dumb thing isn't working again.

1. It looks like the 2 most popular places to mount the bottle are the driveshaft hump between the rear seats and the spare-tire well. Are there any how-to's on building brackets for these locations? Or can I purchase brackets for these locations from a vendor? I am especially interested in the spare tire location as that's where I think I'm going to mount mine.

2. With these mounting locations what is the easiest, best, way to vent the blow-off tube to the atmosphere?

3. I was also wondering if anyone had any tips as far as the easiest, best, way to run the nitrous line, power wires, switches, etc.? For example, are there convenient grommets or factory holes that can be used.

4. My final question is, I have a WS-6 and thought it would be cool, yes cheesy , but cool to run the purge out the ram-air scoops. Has anyone else done this? Would you be willing to share how you accomplished this?

Please don't flame, me, or each other. I'm looking for opinions, I understand ther are a million different ways to do things and I would like to know any tricks or things that worked good for you.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Car_Guy
Here's a chance to post your favorite nitrous install tips and tricks. Pictures welcome!! What mistakes have you made that you would like to warn others about? (Like drilling into the gas tank ) I'm fairly new to F-Bodies and brand new to nitrous. I've looked through the FAQ's and the Stickies but still have a couple of questions as far as installation. I tried the search but the dumb thing isn't working again.

1. It looks like the 2 most popular places to mount the bottle are the driveshaft hump between the rear seats and the spare-tire well. Are there any how-to's on building brackets for these locations? Or can I purchase brackets for these locations from a vendor? I am especially interested in the spare tire location as that's where I think I'm going to mount mine.

2. With these mounting locations what is the easiest, best, way to vent the blow-off tube to the atmosphere?

3. I was also wondering if anyone had any tips as far as the easiest, best, way to run the nitrous line, power wires, switches, etc.? For example, are there convenient grommets or factory holes that can be used.

4. My final question is, I have a WS-6 and thought it would be cool, yes cheesy , but cool to run the purge out the ram-air scoops. Has anyone else done this? Would you be willing to share how you accomplished this?

Please don't flame, me, or each other. I'm looking for opinions, I understand ther are a million different ways to do things and I would like to know any tricks or things that worked good for you.

Thanks in advance for the help.
1) I just used 2 large pieces of angle. I think I just used existing fasteners used on the antenna for the outer piece and a couple of self-tapping sheetmetal screws for the inner. It is pretty stout. (sorry...no pics)

2) You can vent it straight down through the floor in the spare tire well if your BDT is long enough

3) There is already a grommet in the spare well for the line. I think it's actually a rubber plug that I turned into a grommet. As far as all of your under-hood wiring, run it through the grommet located behind the computer. Just modify the existing grommet and remove the kick panel on the interior. From there I just tucked the wires where ever I could...it's quite simple.

4) Dunno...I have a Camaro
Old 11-09-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Pill it till you kill it, then rebuild it..
Old 11-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Harley-Davidson88! Great start!!
Old 11-09-2006, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

I dont have a WS6 but running the purge out the nostrils would be fairly easy. Use small stainless brakeline from auto parts store, or you can use the copper tubing available from NOS I believe. Its all very flexible and can be run anywhere, then use a T fitting to T it off into each nostril. Its easy if you get ahold of the tubing and plan it out in your head. Then its up to you for ways to make it look clean. Sorry if that wasnt much of a help but.

My advice I would give is to GO SLOW, DO NOT rush it. I rushed it, half assed some of the connections, etc and it caught up to me with some wiring problems in the end. It is worth so much more to me personally when I take my time to do something clean.

Mounting the bottle in the spare tire well is easy, my friend made a very nice bracket out of square aluminum tubing available from your local hardware store. You will get an idea of how to mount it once you look in there, then run your blowdown tube out the rubber grommet in the spare tire place. Its very large you can miss it. Nitro Dave makes a bracket that is pre-made for this spot for I think 50$.

I ran all my wires and nitrous lines nside the car underneath the plastic trim along the passenger side of the car.

If you choose to do it this way pull out your PCM. Behind there is a large rubber grommet with lots of wires running throguh it leading under the glove box, you will have to take out the panel under the glove box to see it. Its very hard to see and you cant really see it with the comptuer out but you can feel it. IT IS there, I had a hell of a time doing it, but its much cleaner that way. Then I ran the nitrous lines,wires,etc all under the itnerior trim to the back.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

As an option to making something like Harley suggested, Dave sells this mount to install your bottle in the spare tire area. Makes is easy and clean.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...product_id=963

As far as the Blow-down tube goes. There is a plug at the bottom of that area, which works well for the tube to go.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

That's exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks. So it's OK to run the nitrous line inside the passenger compartment? I wasn't sure if it's recommended to run it inside or not?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Car_Guy
That's exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks. So it's OK to run the nitrous line inside the passenger compartment? I wasn't sure if it's recommended to run it inside or not?
Most run inside the car, it'll be fine.
Robert
Old 11-09-2006, 09:50 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Mounting the bottle in the spare tire well is easy, my friend made a very nice bracket out of square aluminum tubing available from your local hardware store.
ooh, ooh, that was me, time to ***** of a couple pics

for a blowdown tube in that area i used this flexible stainless tubing that i found at home depot for like 12 bucks, i cant remeber what its called but its meant for water heaters or something, and its coated yellow. i got the idea from somebody else on here, just search for it. it threads right onto the nut the blowdown tube woulld screw onto, and is flexible and way cheaper than a -8 line blowdown tube setup. i dont have any pics of it though. but i just ran it right out to that grommet and it works perfect
Old 11-10-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Regular

Heres what you can do once you get everything set up

Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^ That little clip is great!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Teching In

thats awesome!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

That's what I want to be able to do!!

Well, I think I might try to tackle the install this weekend. If not, for sure next weekend. I'm trying to give myself plenty of time as was recommended. I'm still not exactly sure the best way to build a bracket to mount the bottle but I'll get in there this weekend and figure it out. Depending how big of a deal that is I might wait to do the actuall install. I have to install purge, bottle heater, and MSD window switch so it may take a while.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Launching!

sorry to steal thread but do you have to have longer nitrous lines than the ones that come with a kit?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by boostedbuford
sorry to steal thread but do you have to have longer nitrous lines than the ones that come with a kit?
Any site vendor can set you up.
Robert
Old 11-10-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDP
ooh, ooh, that was me, time to ***** of a couple pics

[IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/LS1JDP/formy%20stuff/n2opics002.jpg
[IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/LS1JDP/formy%20stuff/n2opics001.jpg

got any pix of the mounts without the bottle in the way? i'm still trying to know how you did the bottom brace....i ended up goign mad and sawing off that spare tire bracket off, so now i have no place to mount the bottle there anymore lo
Old 11-12-2006, 04:49 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reject
got any pix of the mounts without the bottle in the way? i'm still trying to know how you did the bottom brace....i ended up goign mad and sawing off that spare tire bracket off, so now i have no place to mount the bottle there anymore lo
no, i dont, but it was really easy.

its only bolted on the one side where you can see in the pics, thats why there are 2 bolts for each bracket piece, and thats why i used square tubing because it wont be flimsy. just measure about how much room you need for it to go across so you can mount your NAWWZZ bottle brackets to, then try to guesstimate where the bottle needs to be, and drill your holes.

i just had a buddy hold the bottle with the brackets on so i could see where i had to drill.

i used square aluminum tubing because it is lightweight and makes the car faster...

actually, i used aluminum because it looks better than the rusty iron square tubing at home depot, and i really didnt feel like spending all day trying to saw through iron with my shitty *** say when the aluminum cuts in 10 seconds.

just remember, measure twice, cut once...
and drill once, and make sure you know whats under what your drilling, my buddy drilled into a fuel line on top of his gas tank in his car before

Quick Reply: Nitrous Install Tips and Tricks