Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arming switch install questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arming switch install questions

I need some help with getting my arming swtich intalled. I have a 98 Z28 A4. I have the HSW Sudden Impact dry kit. I have never installed anything like this and have never done much with wiring. I have a few questions about getting my arming switch setup. I have searched for answers but need more assistance.

1) Where is the best place to mount the switch? I was thinking of the ashtray location. The toggle switch appears to be pretty standard. How exactly is something like this mounted in there? Do you cut a piece of plastic to fit around the switch in order to fill in the space where the ashtray was? Or is there some switch mounting hardware I am not aware of? Any ideas or pics are appreciated.

2) What is the best wire to use for the 12V switched connection?

3) How do I run the wire from the arming switch back to the WOT switch on the throttle body? Is there a hole in the firewall under the driver's side that will work?

4) I am assuming I should remove the center console in order to wire the arming switch. Is that correct?

Thanks. Sorry to sound like such a newb, but I am new to all this wiring stuff. THANKS
Old 01-07-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) There are plenty of people that will chime in with custom switch panels they've designed. So I'll leave that to them!

2) Behind the knee bolster, under the steering column, and above where you place your legs, there's a big, fat, 12awg pink wire that I spliced into for my switched source.

3) I only know of a hole on the passenger's side, but you have to remove your computer and an interior side panel to access it. It wasn't big enough for me, so I drilled my own. I have 15 wires now, and still need 16 more to pass through! Some say there's a hole on the driver's side, but I haven't found it.

4) You don't have to remove the entire thing. Just lifting out the section that holds in the ash tray and cigarette lighter (two 7mm bolts below coin holder) should suffice.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Launching!

heres a link that works well http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...el=94&dept=11a
Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

To answer your first question, I'm almost positive HSW sells an ashtray switch panel that should fit your needs. Check out their site, it's under the electronics/ignition menu I believe.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Well you could always drill a hole in the ashtray itself & mount in in there as long as there is room for it to toggle both ways. Then you wouldn't have to buy anything else & could shut the lid to hide it.

The passanger side hole under the PCM is the best spot I have found. Without drilling any new holes that is. I didn't remove my PCM when I ran my wires through there. Just found a long flexible piece of wire a little thinner than a coat hanger. Taped the end if the wire to it & pushed it though the grommet. It came out right on my inner fender perfectly. Took all of 2 minutes to get it through.

I used my TCS switch for my 12v switch connect on my shift light. I'm having my buddy wire in my HSW dry kit though. He is way better at wiring than me. Plus I hate messing with it.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nyteryder167
To answer your first question, I'm almost positive HSW sells an ashtray switch panel that should fit your needs. Check out their site, it's under the electronics/ignition menu I believe.
I think its under $30 too
Old 01-08-2007, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop/home.php?cat=319
Old 01-08-2007, 08:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We sell a nice sexy switch panel that pops in place.. (No double sided tape)
You can make the switch you have work by drilling a hole in the ashtray. Just be careful the ashtrays are easy to crack. Start with a small drill bit drilling a pilot hole. Then work your way up on a bigger drill bit. Do not apply alot of pressure. If the toggle switch is to long you can grind the flip part of it down with a bench grinder. Or get a duck bill style(shorter).

You shoudl be supplied with awiring diagram to show you howw to wire the system. We run all the system wires through the main harness boot located behind the PCM on the passengers side.

The fuse box is the best plate to pull the keyed 12 volts for the switch panel.
Dave
Old 01-10-2008, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

if your switch has lights like the hsw one does do you have to run a resistor or anything in the line to the 12v source?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:45 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PCM gromet is the best place to put wires threw the firewall. Its like 5min of removing stuff and you can clearly see the hole.

And I would use the fuse box in the engine bay for your switched 12v source. Considering that you can run a few items of one source becase they dont pull that much from the source.

Tony.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:53 PM
FormerVendor

I think almost everyone got these answered for you but I'll go ahead and add some more. If you have any questions don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or give us a call.

1) 90% of the installs we do in house the toggle switch goes in the ashtray. Its looks cleaner to me personally to try and hide most things. We do offer a switch plate if you'd rather not drill into the removable cup.

2) There is a nice 10 gauge wire running down to the driver’s power seat if you're looking for a shorter run. It’s ideal to keep it off of a circuit that is constantly drawing, hence the power seat. It is however recommended to make the run to the fuse box.

3) Easiest place, just like everyone else has said is passenger side behind the PCM. I would recommend siliconing back up the rubber grommet if you do cut it. I have seen a one of them leak down the passenger side floorboard because it wasn't sealing properly.

4) I would definitely recommend this. So much easier to run wires when you're not trying to bend your hand in every which way. Very simple to remove the console as well. If you need any tips let me know.

Again any more questions please feel free to ask away. Just take your time, make sure each connection is good and use the heat shrink connectors that come with the kit, especially for any of the connections under hood. I do also recommend a thorough reading over of the installation instructions if you haven't already. There are lots of good tips and information in them! Good luck.

Nick

Originally Posted by ARCTICWHITE98Z28
I need some help with getting my arming swtich intalled. I have a 98 Z28 A4. I have the HSW Sudden Impact dry kit. I have never installed anything like this and have never done much with wiring. I have a few questions about getting my arming switch setup. I have searched for answers but need more assistance.

1) Where is the best place to mount the switch? I was thinking of the ashtray location. The toggle switch appears to be pretty standard. How exactly is something like this mounted in there? Do you cut a piece of plastic to fit around the switch in order to fill in the space where the ashtray was? Or is there some switch mounting hardware I am not aware of? Any ideas or pics are appreciated.

2) What is the best wire to use for the 12V switched connection?

3) How do I run the wire from the arming switch back to the WOT switch on the throttle body? Is there a hole in the firewall under the driver's side that will work?

4) I am assuming I should remove the center console in order to wire the arming switch. Is that correct?

Thanks. Sorry to sound like such a newb, but I am new to all this wiring stuff. THANKS