Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to find the cause of my False Knock Retard

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find the cause of my False Knock Retard

So I will try to give the short version, I have sprayed my N2O a few times but as I was watching a scan tool for KR I noticed the scan tool is randomly jumping up and down on the KR reading. It happens at almost all throttle positions and RPM's "usually under hard acceleration". I am using the Timing Tuner and have been removing timing from the base and WOT spark tables "2* of each and my tune is set to 28* total advance as per TSP". I also am using a mixture of about half 91 octane and half 101 Trick racing unleaded I hear no audible pinging or other strange noisees. I feel I have covered my bases pretty well in determining wether it's real kock or false knock. The only thing I do not have access to is a Wideband to see the A/F Ratio. I do not get any SES Codes and correct me if I am wrong but, I think if it were running lean enough to cause up to 9* of KR the O2 sensors would throw a code for the lean mixture. I have also noticed it gets worse when I turn right in first gear from approx 2000 RPM up to some where around 3500. All of the tests were of course N/A and I want to use the spray again but I have to figure this KR thing out first. Any help would be great, Thanks....
Old 02-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Launching!

If it gets worse when turning or during low rpm's when your engine is not under load, it is probably something hitting/tapping on something.

Are your headers hitting something (K-member floorboard)?
Extremely bad bushings or something in the front suspension causing some noise?
Loud valve train?
Maybe a bad knock sensor?

Just some things to check.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah thanks for the reply, I am in the process of looking for anything hitting. The header is about 1/2" from the floorboard on the drivers side and I can see where it has kinda "rubbed" the paint off of the floorpan. I am thinking I will wrap a thick wet rag around the header where it appears to be hitting and do a test to see if it gets any better. I did have the car on the Dyno at TSP in mid Dec. and from talking with Jason from TSP he states there was no KR at the time on the Dyno pulls. The only thing I changed since then is the LS6 Intake. Could a False KR maybe not show up on a Dyno pull because when they "get on it" on the dyno the inertia of everything is already moving? Just a thought. Most of my KR shows up while turning or pulling hard from a stop and while shifting the M6. Any other thoughts?........
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

trans mount/motor mounts?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
trans mount/motor mounts?
All stock right now but I do have the full Poly mount kit including motor and tranny in the garage just haven't put them on yet. Do you think they would help?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

does it do it on motor as well? Or just on spray?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
does it do it on motor as well? Or just on spray?
It does it on motor with approx 90% 101 race fuel and 10% 91 super unleaded with 2* of wot and 2* of base spark taken out. I don't want to spray again until I have this figured out. I have been told to have the Knock Sensors "desensatized" I was trying to find the cause and take care of it that way but so far I have not had any luck. My valvetrain is pretty noisy I guess so maybe I should start looking for someone here who can take care of the Knock sensors.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

desensitizing the sensors will help a bit. i did that for nitrous tuning last year. but still would get kr at all throttles.

recently i put in my stock tune and made the car very near stock and was getting crazy high kr at all throttle positions but rarely when wot. **** sensors ****** my car up.

i was even getting kr on 97 octane at all throttle positions last year with various tunes. nothing audible or feel that caused concern. just pissing me off.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by madclown
All stock right now but I do have the full Poly mount kit including motor and tranny in the garage just haven't put them on yet. Do you think they would help?
a broken trans mount (which is pretty easy to do even on stock car with a drag radial on it) can definetly make it easier for the y-pipe to bang, causing false kr.

i had to de-sensitize my knock sensors a little bit, playing with fire though you know what they say. do it at your own risk. i dialed the knock sensor global gain till i say 0 kr on a very conservative tune, didn't take much.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Banned

Desensitizing the knock sensors should the very last resort and only on a drag strip only car (NOT A DD!!!)

If you can check the plugs every other run and occasionally pull the heads to check, then desensitize it

Otherwise find the problem or just let it correct itself, you might be knocking and the retard will save your *** if you drive it much

I know several people thatdesensitized their knock with tuning software and burnt their engines up slowly

I was almost one! I was running stock ls1 spark on an ls6 cam wich is a nono

Have you tried taking another 2 or 3 degrees out??
Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

if its knocking on motor with some race gas...its likely its false knock.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Well, here's an update. I gave up and took it to the Dyno and a good Tuner. It turns out I did have some real knock due to a Lean condition. I had changed to the LS6 Intake since my last Dyno tune and WOW! I was running in the 14's on A/F Ratio. With the LS1 I was at 12.3 on the A/F Ratio! There was a little K/R from this but I have yet to take it out and see if it all was. I think there will still be alot because it got really bad while turning. And all of my tests were at least half 101 race gas! I will update on Sun. after I get a chance to see if the K/R is still there on the street, as the tuner got rid of all of the real K/R on the Dyno.................
Old 02-09-2008, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS699TA
Desensitizing the knock sensors should the very last resort and only on a drag strip only car (NOT A DD!!!)

If you can check the plugs every other run and occasionally pull the heads to check, then desensitize it

Otherwise find the problem or just let it correct itself, you might be knocking and the retard will save your *** if you drive it much

I know several people thatdesensitized their knock with tuning software and burnt their engines up slowly

I was almost one! I was running stock ls1 spark on an ls6 cam wich is a nono

Have you tried taking another 2 or 3 degrees out??

Yeah I was taking out up to 6* and it made no diff. in the readings I was getting. I guess we'll see if it's still there on Sun. Thanks......

Quick Reply: Trying to find the cause of my False Knock Retard