Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry DP questions......to ponder....

Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Dynojet Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry DP questions......to ponder....

Say I wanted to do it.... I already have the pnp racetronix harness & fuel pump.. All I would need is the injectors, BAP, nozzlels, noids ect...

So the question is what injectors do/would i need to support say 1k rwhp?? 1k just to be safe.. If the inj. are low impd. I would need a driver box like the AEM along w/ the racetronix harness... I have efilive so I could do the cos5 option.. What do you guys think??

Do you think my 01 fuel system is up to the task?? w/ a bap & racetronix setup.

thanks...
Old 02-26-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VH5150
Say I wanted to do it.... I already have the pnp racetronix harness & fuel pump.. All I would need is the injectors, BAP, nozzlels, noids ect...

So the question is what injectors do/would i need to support say 1k rwhp?? 1k just to be safe.. If the inj. are low impd. I would need a driver box like the AEM along w/ the racetronix harness... I have efilive so I could do the cos5 option.. What do you guys think??

Do you think my 01 fuel system is up to the task?? w/ a bap & racetronix setup.

thanks...
The math for injector sizing is in my web. Racetronics now has 80lb'ers that will work with our PCMs, so you won't need an aftermarket fuel controller. Don't forget the interface, as this makes DP Dry viable for all.
Robert
Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Dynojet Fan

Originally Posted by Robert56
The math for injector sizing is in my web. Racetronics now has 80lb'ers that will work with our PCMs, so you won't need an aftermarket fuel controller. Don't forget the interface, as this makes DP Dry viable for all.
Robert
That interface looks cool but im gonna go SD tune so the interface would not work... since I wont be useing a MAF
Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by VH5150
That interface looks cool but im gonna go SD tune so the interface would not work... since I wont be useing a MAF
That's cool, DP SD is a great way for some.
Robert
Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok so I have a question for you... Just something to ponder...

Most people go to a directport for the ability to tune each individual cylinder.

With a dry directport this is achievable as long as you have tunning software that will let you adjust each injector individualy. If you do not have software that lets you do so. You are missing the main bennifit of having a directport system.

Dave
Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Ok so I have a question for you... Just something to ponder...

Most people go to a directport for the ability to tune each individual cylinder.

With a dry directport this is achievable as long as you have tunning software that will let you adjust each injector individualy. If you do not have software that lets you do so. You are missing the main bennifit of having a directport system.

Dave
Ah, but this is another area that the Dry hits prevail. You'll have closer EGTs right from the get go, even compared to most tuned DP Wet hits. It's not the n2o delivery that has the issues but rather the fuel being delivered by the wet hit itself. The fuel is pretty close from the injectors, wet or dry. The dry DP is going to take over, watch.
Robert
Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Couldn't you just jet more nitrous into cylinders that run rich, and less into cylinders that run lean? I don't know if you'd be able to make small enough changes by going up/down a jet size, but in theory I don't see why not.

Your fuel system probably isn't up to the task, if you have to ask.....

I also hope you have a pretty well built engine if you want it to last.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rosey
Couldn't you just jet more nitrous into cylinders that run rich, and less into cylinders that run lean? I don't know if you'd be able to make small enough changes by going up/down a jet size, but in theory I don't see why not.

I'll be in the near future running EGT on all cylinders, and the guys doing this already report temps that very slightly hole to hole. Sure if you want to mess around you prob could get them so very close, the dynamics of an internal combustion engine will have varying temps per hole any way. So, some slight differences are excepted. you have to watch it if one or more are really hot, then you may have problems. Mostly, it's still reading the plug, but an EGT report can certainly add to the knowledge base, and it's a good tool to show in print what's going on.
Robert
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 PM
FormerVendor

Robert,
Different applications have different flow charastics. Take for instance a set up that has a custom ported intake and heads. One cylinder may be burning hotter do to the flow in that runner. I have seen applications that needed quite a bit of a different fuel jet in that cylinder for tunning. How do you do this if you can not increase the fuel to that specific runner?
Dave
Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by rosey

By changing the nitrous jet you are changing the HP output to that cylinder. Now you are changing the even distribution that you look for in a directport...

Dave
Old 02-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Dynojet Fan

good info guys
Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

By changing the nitrous jet you are changing the HP output to that cylinder. Now you are changing the even distribution that you look for in a directport...

Dave
Doesn't nitrous increase horsepower by allowing you to burn more fuel? So if you're decreasing or increasing the amount of fuel you inject then aren't you changing the HP output? I'd rather have a slightly less even distribution of nitrous if that resulted in more even EGTs across all cylinders. But tuning by changing nitrous jets is just a bandaid. I think BS3 plus a direct port dry is the ultimate way to go.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by RedBaron
But tuning by changing nitrous jets is just a bandaid. I think BS3 plus a direct port dry is the ultimate way to go.
This is the point Dave was trying to make.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Doesn't nitrous increase horsepower by allowing you to burn more fuel? So if you're decreasing or increasing the amount of fuel you inject then aren't you changing the HP output? I'd rather have a slightly less even distribution of nitrous if that resulted in more even EGTs across all cylinders. But tuning by changing nitrous jets is just a bandaid. I think BS3 plus a direct port dry is the ultimate way to go.
well... then if your going to settle for that route...just put a few dry nozzles upstream of the TB like normal. Again no reason for a direct port. No reason UNLESS you are trying to run a HUGE shot.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
well... then if your going to settle for that route...just put a few dry nozzles upstream of the TB like normal. Again no reason for a direct port. No reason UNLESS you are trying to run a HUGE shot.
I agree completely. For most people here or on shots less than 300HP or so I don't see any need for a dry direct port.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
This is the point Dave was trying to make.
My point was simply that changing nitrous jets for tuning is no different than changing fuel jets.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Robert,
Different applications have different flow charastics. Take for instance a set up that has a custom ported intake and heads. One cylinder may be burning hotter do to the flow in that runner. I have seen applications that needed quite a bit of a different fuel jet in that cylinder for tunning. How do you do this if you can not increase the fuel to that specific runner?
Dave
My response to this would be get a better engine builder. If you custom flowing heads/intake and end up with worse EGTs than stock something is wrong. The whole point of an engine build for power is volumetric efficiency, so seems the flow guy would be making all flow as similar as possible, not making it worse.

Here's the deal, 90% of the guys on the boards are not NHRA players (limited class rules where every hp counts) and the couple ponies difference from having exact EGTs or a/f per cylinder are not going to matter. It's normal for the cylinder temps to be off. From what I have seen and heard, is the Dry DP has more consistent a/f/ and temperature per cylinder than do the wet direct ports. So, what you say has an affect on running DP Wet hits also, but you have never brought that up in the wet threads, lol.

Does any one running n/a, tune per cylinder, no. That's the same as the dry hit using the n/a injectors and look up tables, so who is going to additional per cylinder tuning? You'll end up with the dry hit having the same variances as the n/a cylinders. The reason the wet hits vary so much per cylinder is the way they get the extra fuel, and thus end up with worse per cylinder temp and a/f than a stock or dry hit motor. In conclusion, the DRY hit generally needs no additional tuning per cylinder, unless you wish to, and the wet hit needs tuning per cylinder to get it back at least to stock variances.

Anyone on this board doing per cylinder tuning? If so, what's the method 8 EGTs, 8 WBs, or reading each plug?

Robert
Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

My point was simply that changing nitrous jets for tuning is no different than changing fuel jets.
My point is that the Dry DP will need no tuning, though the Wet DP will.

I may even disagree with Al on the need to go DP when wanting a big hit concerning dry. I think the DP Dry is viable at any HP level, and no need for any more tuning than for going down the neck. Both methods will be fine. Can we say good bye wet hits, lol.
Robert
Old 02-27-2008, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robert56
My point is that the Dry DP will need no tuning, though the Wet DP will.

I may even disagree with Al on the need to go DP when wanting a big hit concerning dry. I think the DP Dry is viable at any HP level, and no need for any more tuning than for going down the neck. Both methods will be fine. Can we say good bye wet hits, lol.
Robert
I believe dry shots to be superior to wet shots but to say that you'll need no fine tuning is a little misguided (on large shots). People who really need a dry direct port over a simple single nozzle dry shot are spraying much larger than a 300HP shot, and at those levels variations between cylinders can become more pronounced. There's a reason why BS3 allows individual tuning per cylinder....
Old 02-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Is anyone using an wet DP kit and instead of a fuel noid, they're using the HSW interface to add the extra fuel?

Search this Thread