Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experimental Nitrous, Timing controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Experimental Nitrous, Timing controller

Here is a pic of my latest version for a Nitrous controller that allows Nitrous control by RPM, TPS(Throttle proportional), and or WOT Progressive time based ramp. The Timing retard can also be controlled with a Progressive(time based ramp). Example if you set it for 8 degrees of retard over 4 seconds it would pull 2 degrees out each second. The activation can be programmed to Reset or Hold when you shut off activation signal. For drag racing most people dont want it start over if they have to lift. I myself like it restarting with each gear change on my M6. Within a month or so I hope to have some of these available for testing. I will run on my car first before I send any out for testing. I received 15 circuit boards today and got one assembled. Applied power and did not get any magic smoke(I am taking this as a good sign) I still need to track down some factory connectors for the crank sensor connections. I wonder if a Timing Retard based on TPS would be helpful as an option. I have built controllers for motorcycles that have ran 7.87 at 186mph on DOT tires using similar control methods. Mind you bike was far from stock, 1428cc, button start, charging system, just enough that it is still street legal to meet class rules. I have been building this controller at home in my spare time and once my company becomes a sponser(and this tests well) I will make them available. Feedback is what can help make a controller that works well. If I have figured out how to post a pic it will be here if not I will post a link
http://home.mchsi.com/~dennisc99/
Old 08-07-2003, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Experimental Nitrous, Timing controller

Sounds Great. Is this really going to be for us lame working stiffs? How complicated is it going to be to hook up?

If it works like you think, this is going to be great. What are you look at for price? Will this work for any nitrous set-up (TNT, NOS, NEX, etc.)?

Let me get this straight: I have a TNT set-up - upgrade to F2 .. put in 200 shot jets; set the start up for 60% (120 shot) .. have it timed for 100% (200 shot) at 6 seconds .. also program for a total of 4 degrees of timing pull at 6 seconds.

It that right? Now that will work. Again I don't care about an RPM or TPS based ramp.

Good luck and let us know your progress.

David
Old 08-08-2003, 01:44 AM
TECH Veteran

damn! You have thought this through very very well. Keep us posted. One recomendation. I have seen other timing boxes that use the CPS hook ups to skew the timing....seemed it was very suceptable to electrical interferance. Some shielding might help?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I made the trip points for the CPS adjustable by the MCU. I had to do this for one of the motorcycle retard controllers. They machined slots in the flywheel-generator rotor for the trigger signal and evevry time one of the magnets for the charging system would pass by the CPS it would create masive amounts of noise. After I made it adustable I was able to set the trip points above the maximum noise level seen. Also the processor was engineered to work in harsh(automotive) environments. I also included ground guard loops on the ground plane of the circuit board. These guard loops are placed around all critical circuits to combat noise. I also employed ferite-capacitor filters on the incoming signals. Testing in the real world is the only way to verify that it is correct though. The processor has the ability to determine if electrical noise caused the last reset and I can program the chip to record diagnostic data and failure data.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Sounds very interesting. I am currently trying to switch over to using a Timing Tuner. I might be interested in doing some comparison for you. My biggest complaint currently is the TPS switch from NX sucks. Why they don't get a read from the PCM is beyond me. My email is: texanjohn@hotmail.com