Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some ideas for 3 stage window switch and timing reterd

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some ideas for 3 stage window switch and timing reterd

Ok so here is the dilemma. I have the 3 stage direct port and i want to run one stage in each gear or at least one stage in first gear, and the other two in second and third. The problem is i will need window switches and something to retard timing. I dont want to be a dead fish N/A so im going to need something to pull about 15-20 degrees of timing for the 350 shot. So im thinking of running a MSD timing twister and two window switches...on two stage, and a one stage. but is that the best choice? does anyone else have a better and maybe easier idea?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
Ok so here is the dilemma. I have the 3 stage direct port and i want to run one stage in each gear or at least one stage in first gear, and the other two in second and third. The problem is i will need window switches and something to retard timing. I dont want to be a dead fish N/A so im going to need something to pull about 15-20 degrees of timing for the 350 shot. So im thinking of running a MSD timing twister and two window switches...on two stage, and a one stage. but is that the best choice? does anyone else have a better and maybe easier idea?

I would personally run the window switch on the 2nd and 3rd stages. I assume you have a suspension setup that can hook off a 1st stage 75-100 shot, then bring the next two stages in. if your running a 350 shot then im sure you have a very built motor and trans that will be launching in excess 3000 so i wouldnt worry about spraying off the line
Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

so i shouldnt run a window switch on the first stage? only on the second two? i was thinking maybe not running one on the third stage and have 1 and 2 on the window and a push button for 3.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

How complicated do you want to get with the wiring. If your auto shifter can do it, mount a microswitch in each gear position supplying 12 volts to a single stage relay with a diode for reverse polarity energizing. Then use one window switch to ground all three relays and have everything you wanted.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

whoa...reverse polarity energizing...i dont even know what that means. im a wiring retard, but im going to have someone who knows wiring back and front do this with me so ill let him read what you just said and try to explain it in 1st grade talk lol. it is an auto though th350
Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

and your texas speed head comment is funny...lol my friends texas speed heads just took a shot on him. the rocker arm bolt threading just became brittle and fell apart.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Wiring would be pretty straight foward. You will need 2 dual channel window switches, and you can set the rpms all the same. And use the lock out features per stage. Or use one dual channel window and one delay time working through that window window siwtch.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

right i was thinking about doing something like that...running two window switches and and having one stage on each channel, but i was hoping for maybe a way to use less contraptions. because i need to have a timing retard contraption aswell. so thats whats putting me back a bit
Old 08-21-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Like NXRICKY said, just use two dual window switches and when each stage hits, have those also wired to a 3 stage retard box to have the amount of timing you want taken out at each stage.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

ooo got ya. where can i find a retard box like that? one with three stages?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

whoa...reverse polarity energizing...i dont even know what that means. im a wiring retard, but im going to have someone who knows wiring back and front do this with me so ill let him read what you just said and try to explain it in 1st grade talk lol. it is an auto though th350
The diodes are in case one switch doesn't reset itself, to prevent one stage from energizing another. Use a microswitch for each gear position to energize each stage. Using a microswitch per sage means you could also run a single window switch for all three stages.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

excellent, o like that idea, save me some money. and then i could just run a timing twister separately. although i would love to know about that 3 stage timing retard unit, because there are times i wont want to pull all the timing if im only going to run one stage. i also wont be running all three stages all the time, it just depends how much money im racing for so i think i will kind of need to run it on 3 separate switches
Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

excellent, o like that idea, save me some money. and then i could just run a timing twister separately. although i would love to know about that 3 stage timing retard unit, because there are times i wont want to pull all the timing if im only going to run one stage. i also wont be running all three stages all the time, it just depends how much money im racing for so i think i will kind of need to run it on 3 separate switches
Each gear position switch can control multiple relays, one of which would control a resistor for a hardwired timing trick mod to do what you want also.

I like Rick's idea also, but the possibility of losing a gearon overrv or missed shift is my only dislike.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

MSD makes a couple different types MSD #'s 8970 & 8975. I'm just not 100% sure if they are LSx compatible?