Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Run What You Brung Rules Discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run What You Brung Rules Discussion

Ok, there was lots of commenting over the year about our current rules and whether we should change some of them. This is the thread to post your suggestions and discuss. Please keep it civil.

For starters, here's the current rules:
1) Only one vehicle per person and one person per vehicle.
2) Must be in the NW listing for the forum (i.e.:WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND)
3) Must be an active poster in the NW forum, no "I ran this" and never come back.
4) Car must be active. The time must have been achieved during 2009.
5) Must be licenced for street use. (current licence and registration)
6) Must run a DOT approved tire.
7) All numbers come from the same timeslip.
8) Vehicle must be a GM product.
9) ET's that have been rounded off will be listed with a "9" in the missing spot.(i.e. a 13.4 will go down as 13.499. This allows the sheet to autosort in the right order.)

Items that need discussion include #5, #6 and perhaps we need to expand on #8.

#5 - Should we either loosen up on this to get more "race" cars, or perhaps make it more stringent to get a more "street"-like list?

#6 - With the plethora of DOT slicks now available, does this distinction still mean anything? Should we loosen it up to get more "race" cars, or perhaps limit it to get more "street"-like times?

#8 - We have always held that it must be GM, and have an LXX based engine, although that hasn't been stated up front in the rules. Should we state it? Should it only be Lxx engines, or should any V8 in a GM body be enough? Should we open it up to the new GM performance cars running 4 or 6 cylinder engines? Should we be allowing non-stock blocks?

I think that should be enough to keep us talking for a while. Let's get it all worked out before people start posting times for the new year. I'll be happy to create a new thread for the 2009 list when we're ready to post times.

Pat
Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think 8 should be any GM powered car. I don't think engine size should be a factor.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM powered(4-6-8 who cares) cars.

Street licenced(harder for late model folks). People whine about us bringing our cars on trailers...they are never whining when their car is on our trailers going home and they are driving our "Race" car home.

Tires I can go either way. DOT tires cost more

we have fully equipted street cars able to run Nine second passes. 4,200Lbs and all Might be hard to find a way to regulate them and be fair to others at the same time.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on the DOT tires.
Run what you brung as long as you bring what I say is kinda lame.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we should kill number 6 and enforce number 5...
Old 01-04-2009, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

I think we should BAN all Silver and all RED cars!!!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

I think that those rules don't need to be changed at all...
Old 01-04-2009, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

I think you have a can of worms here... I agree with Ellis and Ryan K.
I think the bigger thing is you should change the name to NW ET list since it is not a "Run what you brung" list. Run what you brung and hope you brought enough means no BS, no rules, just the baddest of the bad win!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Originally Posted by 99LSS1
I think we should BAN all Silver and all RED cars!!!!!
Hey now!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PONYEATER
I think you have a can of worms here... I agree with Ellis and Ryan K.
I think the bigger thing is you should change the name to NW ET list since it is not a "Run what you brung" list. Run what you brung and hope you brought enough means no BS, no rules, just the baddest of the bad win!
I really think it is mostly the guys that post here who get on the list anyway
It could be a GM powered LS1tech list.
4-6 or 8 Cyl.
Trailored or not, DOTS or not.
If your **** is fast, it is fast. Period. End of Discussion.
If your **** is slow...me. Work harder or at least get out to the track.
No bikes though unless your **** has a GM Car motor.

How about a Lebaron?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
I really think it is mostly the guys that post here who get on the list anyway. If your **** is fast, it is fast. Period. End of Discussion.
That sounds good, and if you're active why not open to everything? I mean really if someone wants to run a snowmobile. It would make for some good trash talkin.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by crazylane
I think that those rules don't need to be changed at all...
Actually I take this back.. It is a run what you BRUNG list.. So really like what others have mentioned, I believe thats a fare statement.

I mean its only for bragging rights anyway.

Maybe you should have two totally different lists.. Like maybe the cutoff should be a 11.5, anyone slower can be on the true street class list. Anyone faster will be on the Run what you Brung list. Just a thought.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, now that some discussion has taken place I'll chime in with my thoughts.

#5 - Why was the license rule introduced in the first place? Is it because it's a CCC rule and we wanted a list that was consistent with what you could run in the CCC? If so, then we need to ask whether it makes sense when we have cars in the NW section that run on tracks that have nothing at all to do with our WA CCC. It might make more sense to remove this rule and focus on the car itself(ie-rule #8).

#6 - I agree that the tire question is fuzzy at best, and therefore should probably be removed as a rule.

#8 - On this one, I will go against the majority of opinions so far. I think that since this is "ls1tech" that we should be focusing on the cars/trucks that this website is intended to focus on. Production GM vehicles with Lxx engine blocks. IMO, when you remove the Lxx and replace it with a race iron longblock engine that's not-Lxx then you're no longer keeping with the spirit of the website. Build, boost or spray your Lxx all you want, but keep with an Lxx block. If you want to put an Lxx into your Solstice, Cobalt, Classic Chevy or other GM vehicle, then that's cool, but putting an Lxx into an RX-7, 944 etc wouldn't cut it.

My $.02
Old 01-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Teching In

"Run what you brung."

Pretty much anything goes. If there are going to be any restrictions then i would tie it into this website. Either GM only no matter the powerplant or go more specific and make it LXX, GM only. Otherwise anything goes.

Then...............for those of us that can't compete at that level that would also like some recognition create a second street class with more restrictions like the existing list and rules.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crisisman
#8 - On this one, I will go against the majority of opinions so far. I think that since this is "ls1tech" that we should be focusing on the cars/trucks that this website is intended to focus on. Production GM vehicles with Lxx engine blocks. IMO, when you remove the Lxx and replace it with a race iron longblock engine that's not-Lxx then you're no longer keeping with the spirit of the website. Build, boost or spray your Lxx all you want, but keep with an Lxx block. If you want to put an Lxx into your Solstice, Cobalt, Classic Chevy or other GM vehicle, then that's cool, but putting an Lxx into an RX-7, 944 etc wouldn't cut it.

My $.02
The spirit of the site is LSX in anything. Hence the Hybird Section.
It isn't F-body, Y-Body, GTO dot com.
An iron block is still an LSX. You exclude some fast car is you do this.
An LSX is an LSX and An LTX is an LTX not matter what it is in.

It isn't the CCC list either. It is the run what you brung list.
Last years list had 40 cars, mostly every regular here.
It isn't I am the most consistent guy. It is I went this fast on one day and the rest of you have got some work to.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

I think it should be simply that, run what you brung, as long as the person is a regular here.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually stay out of these discussions because I haven't had a running car for so long. This year I stand a good chance of making the list, probably down low somewhere, but nonetheless, here's my take:

-I personally like seeing more "street" type cars. But then, maybe a title change is in order instead of "Run What Ya Brung" list. lol....

-I strongly think all the cars on the list should be fuel injected since this site is overwhelmingly comprised of owners with modified fuel injected cars. ? I just think we should keep the list to what this site represents as a majority.

Just adding my .02 worth.

Mike
Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

I think its kind of a cool list. Its really only for the guys that hang out in this section, so beyond that, who cares? Not like John Force is hanging out in here. I will add I think being a licensed street car is one nice thing to throw in there. If that wasn't there, then you'd have a couple cars that don't fit the "essence of the list".

Keep in mind this isn't a self suiting post, since if it just opened up completely I'd have #1 by probably 2 full seconds.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Umm ... I'm with YOU fellers !
Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Originally Posted by Poik
I think it should be simply that, run what you brung, as long as the person is a regular here.
I'll 2nd that...I thought that's why the list got changed a few years back to 'run what you brung'. There are more than just lsx guys here...kind of a good local community forum that just happens to be on an lsx site. My .02.

Brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Run What You Brung Rules Discussion