Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

My Camaro has been wrecked/totaled

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Camaro has been wrecked/totaled

This all went down late last night.

Pics not available yet. Car was towed to salvage yard or whatever.

Was leaving work late last night after doing an inventory.

As I was merging onto I5 northbound on-ramp from 38th St in Tacoma a newer Ford F150 ran a yield sign and was about to hit me. I swerved to avoid and lost control. Slid off the road sideways and connected my driver side with a large 2 post freeway sign. The sign posts were split in 2 and the sign was knocked over.

The result of that is a toasted front clip, hood, driver side fender, driver side door, rear quarter-panel, driver side window, and passenger side t-top.

I'm going to assume that since the t-top on the passenger side broke that the car flexed quite a bit.

Fairly certain it's totaled.

I seem to be okay. I'm pretty sore this morning and my hands got cut up a bit from all the glass. I feel very fortunate that is all that happened to me.

Here's what she used to look like:

So, I'm probably going to be on the market for another car. If anybody is considering selling theirs or knows a car that I might be interested in, feel free to post up. Would really like to move to a C5 Z06. F-bodies will be considered as long as it's a 2002 and it no longer has a stock rearend.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that sucks man. Glad to hear that you came out of it ok though.

Mike
Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear your OK. What salvage yard did it get towed to? Are you going to look into buying it back from insurance?

My corvette is for sale. The drivetrain is already upgraded (I believe Chris and Robert have the same or similar drivetrain mods and each are putting down over 600RWHP). So it will handle lots of power. Mine isn't a Z06, but it is the fixed roof coupe (FRC) which was only available for 2 years and fairly rare. The FRCs became the Z06s in 2001. Let me know if you're interested when it all pans out.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Glad to hear your OK. What salvage yard did it get towed to? Are you going to look into buying it back from insurance?

My corvette is for sale. The drivetrain is already upgraded (I believe Chris and Robert have the same or similar drivetrain mods and each are putting down over 600RWHP). So it will handle lots of power. Mine isn't a Z06, but it is the fixed roof coupe (FRC) which was only available for 2 years and fairly rare. The FRCs became the Z06s in 2001. Let me know if you're interested when it all pans out.
Got towed to Liberty Towing in University Place.

I've never gone through any of this before, but I would probably attempt to buy it back from insurance and part it out.

Car only had 50k on the clock.

Shoot me a pm with some details on the Corvette if you can.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Truly sorry to hear about losing your SS. At least you came out of it unscathed, which means like you said you can now upgrade.

Great time to be in the market for a new car or new/ used car. Vette prices have tanked and you can find some very nice very low mile cars for cheap. C5 Z's can be had for around 20k - 25k.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that really sucks man. At least you're alright. That's a beautiful SS, too bad it had to end this way.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Wow... Thats 2 SS's in this area that are done for this year...

Glad you were okay..
Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Launching!

That sucks, big time. Glad you're OK. Good luck finding your new ride.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys.

Now is definitely the time to buy. Hopefully the insurance end of things gets settled quickly and I can get something purchased soon.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

glad your ok. I saw a high mileage Z06 go for 15K, wow. It is a buyers market right now for the Z06 and Friendly chev in Puyallup had a low mile Z06, IIRC 50k miles, and '02 that was going to auction at 20k? looked as good as mine, so not sure if something was wrong or they were just trying to dump it? I do still see the lowest mile Z06s go for over 30K, like under 25K miles. Anyway, that FRC of Ackattach is a great platform to work from and most of the neded mods are done already, a great value.
Robert
Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad you're ok, dude. Cars are just metal and cheap plastic anyway.

If you have the money, hate to say it, but an excellent time to buy performance cars since everyone is down on prices. I've seen several FRC hovering around $15k!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tylerb59
Glad you're ok, dude. Cars are just metal and cheap plastic anyway.

If you have the money, hate to say it, but an excellent time to buy performance cars since everyone is down on prices. I've seen several FRC hovering around $15k!
It's a buyers market right now.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ryan'sSS
It's a buyers market right now.
Yeah, I actually jumped on this morning and immediately looked for your for sale ad.

Was sad to see you'd just recently sold your SS.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to herer it. Hope it works out for you man.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear, remember seeing thepics of your car and it always looked great.

With the insurance thing if you went through your own not sure what they are going to throw at you price figures wise. When the wife was rear ended in our Probe the person the insurance of the owner that hit her only offered us $200 or so for the car. After talking and showing them the cars go from $1k - $1.5k they settled on $1200 with us. Had to show them some ads and stuff.

This was an insurance company that had no interest in what we were going through at the time. Our's has always been great with us and when my dad's van was totalled a few years back he got full market value back for it, but don't expect to walk away with the highest value you feel the car is worth. Definately buy it back though if the price is reasonable and part it out. Engine and tranny alone are good to sell for $2k+ easy.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

glad your ok, might consider going to a chiropracter to make sure your not out of whack or something.

it's a buyer market now, your not tempted to get a 2010?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Sorry man, that is one clean looking SS.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Sorry to hear, remember seeing thepics of your car and it always looked great.

With the insurance thing if you went through your own not sure what they are going to throw at you price figures wise. When the wife was rear ended in our Probe the person the insurance of the owner that hit her only offered us $200 or so for the car. After talking and showing them the cars go from $1k - $1.5k they settled on $1200 with us. Had to show them some ads and stuff.

This was an insurance company that had no interest in what we were going through at the time. Our's has always been great with us and when my dad's van was totalled a few years back he got full market value back for it, but don't expect to walk away with the highest value you feel the car is worth. Definately buy it back though if the price is reasonable and part it out. Engine and tranny alone are good to sell for $2k+ easy.

Luckily I've got Gap coverage so I don't really have to worry about it. The car has/had some negative equity built up, but Gap will take care of that for me.

At this point I just have to sit back and wait for American Family to decide it's totaled.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by firehawk618
Sorry man, that is one clean looking SS.
Thanks.

It was a clean looking SS. Very sad day.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by code4
glad your ok, might consider going to a chiropracter to make sure your not out of whack or something.

it's a buyer market now, your not tempted to get a 2010?
I'll talk to my claims adjuster on Monday and find out more about the medical coverage. Probably go get checked out Wednesday which is my next day off.

I've thought about looking into the 2009 G8 GXP's.

Quick Reply: My Camaro has been wrecked/totaled