Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Need to port my heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to port my heads

Hey I might need to port my heads and was wondering if anyone knew anybody that does it, and maybe a price range. I would go with better heads but, I don't have the $$$ to do that. Also if I do this would they hold up to a ms3 cam. Any info would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a last resort, the MS3 will work with the stock heads as long as you have some good valvesprings that can hadle that amount of valve lift. You might be better off finding a pair of used LS6 heads and have those freshened up rather than having your stock heads ported. ? Just a thought.

Mike
Old 07-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mikey ported his own (didn't you ?) Maybe he can help you out or give you a few pointers. TSP will do them for $600 or there abouts and the prices climb from there. I use WCCH but they are a little more money. As I recall money is an issue...LOL

I'll carve em for ya as well and not but a few beers but you can do the same thing yourself. You can always find a used set of heads as well. Or Patriots are always on the less expensive side.

I'd try working them yourself, nothing to lose. Get a set of takes off's cheap and carve em up.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Mikey ported his own (didn't you ?) Maybe he can help you out or give you a few pointers. TSP will do them for $600 or there abouts and the prices climb from there. I use WCCH but they are a little more money. As I recall money is an issue...LOL

I'll carve em for ya as well and not but a few beers but you can do the same thing yourself. You can always find a used set of heads as well. Or Patriots are always on the less expensive side.

I'd try working them yourself, nothing to lose. Get a set of takes off's cheap and carve em up.
I've been known to port a few sets of heads, including the L92 heads on my car now. Problem is, I no longer have an air compressor or work station to port them. It's very tedious work and you can mess them up in a hurry if you don't know what you're doing. You can actually hurt airflow, but I could give Tmoney some pointers if he's willing to learn.

Mike
Old 07-25-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea its a pain in the ***, im doing a set now of 241s...they are startin to look pretty damn good, i got the heads for next to nothing so if i **** em up i dont care im only cleaning up around the intake and exhaust bowls and killing the little hump that the intak casting tab leaves. to most ppl they prolly would say the overall shape of the ports look great but how smooth they are look like ****. i think they will just barly out flow stock 243's, and that i will be happy as hell with. id post pics but im embarrast
Old 07-25-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry about porting if your trying to save $$. I have seen stock heads for $200 on craigs before. And ya the ms3 will run fine with stock heads even unported! I will find ya a set! Im the ultimate craigs hunter lol!!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok dont say I dont do anything for ya! Here is a set of stock 241's off a vette with only 43k for only $125!!!!!! If ya dont get these today someone will snag em!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/1288697146.html
Old 07-25-2009, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by zlicious94
Ok dont say I dont do anything for ya! Here is a set of stock 241's off a vette with only 43k for only $125!!!!!! If ya dont get these today someone will snag em!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/1288697146.html
Not too bad, but don't forget the 5.3l heads. They have almost the same port shape as the LS6's but have a smaller combustion chamber for a nice bump in compression ratio. The stock valves are a bit smallish, but I got over 290 cfm on the last pair I ported, even with the stock valves. You can find 5.3l heads for around 50-100 a pair.

Mike
Old 07-25-2009, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

i wouldn't recommend doing them yourself unless you have a pretty good understanding of airflow or at least have access to a flow bench to monitor your changes. i'm going to SAM and i'm in heads class right now. i could do some work on em for 300 and you pay shipping both ways. if I do a nice valve job, blend the bowls, narrow the guide, and jus clean up the casting i could probly pick em up like 40-50 cfm. for 300.... let me know
Old 07-26-2009, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys going to pick some heads up today, thanks to gangsta name phill!!! Good looking out bro. thanks again for all the info guys. Just hope they hold up the way u drive
Old 07-26-2009, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Hey guys going to pick some heads up today, thanks to gangsta name phill!!! Good looking out bro. thanks again for all the info guys. Just hope they hold up the way u drive
Good deal man. You gonna try your hand at port work?

I would have the guides checked out by a machine shop and have them decked for a nice flat surface.

Mike
Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Good deal man. You gonna try your hand at port work?

I would have the guides checked out by a machine shop and have them decked for a nice flat surface.

Mike
eekk I don't know, I could go to my work and do it on one of my days off, I have everything I need there. I just don't know what to do? And. If I was going to do it I would pull my old ones off and do it to them. Hey is there a web site, or maybe if you wanted too, me and you could go to my work in tualatin and do them. I would just have to ask the president wich I know he wouldn't mind.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

eekk I don't know, I could go to my work and do it on one of my days off, I have everything I need there. I just don't know what to do? And. If I was going to do it I would pull my old ones off and do it to them. Hey is there a web site, or maybe if you wanted too, me and you could go to my work in tualatin and do them. I would just have to ask the president wich I know he wouldn't mind.
I have lot's of pics taken from when I ported some 5.3l heads. If you decide to tackle this, let me know and I'll give you some pointers. It's not something you'll be able to knock out in one day though, especially just starting out.

Mike
Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I know it will take longer then a day. that would be awsome if you could email some pics! And trust me I will be giving you a call probably every 10 min when I do this lol, maybe we should just set a video call and yo ucan just tell me what to do lol j/k. Well hell! I've been runing CNC's for like 9 years so it shouldn't be that hard.. Well i hope not!.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

^^^^ You can do it!! Your not trying to make them the best in the world your just cleaning them up and enhancing them a little bit.

Mikey can help you out with pointers and pictures. I did it as well, takes some patience is all. There are plenty of articles out there as well that help explain what it is your trying to do.

also what castings did you get? Your doing these by hands not cnc... right?!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-c...l#post11974469
Old 07-29-2009, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
^^^^ You can do it!! Your not trying to make them the best in the world your just cleaning them up and enhancing them a little bit.

Mikey can help you out with pointers and pictures. I did it as well, takes some patience is all. There are plenty of articles out there as well that help explain what it is your trying to do.

also what castings did you get? Your doing these by hands not cnc... right?!
I got the 853 heads. I guess by hand now!!! Lol that would be very usefull if he could do that. Hey mike could u email me some picks of just some basic stuff on how to do this. I'm in no rush to jump on it, so take your time!..
Old 07-30-2009, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

I got the 853 heads. I guess by hand now!!! Lol that would be very usefull if he could do that. Hey mike could u email me some picks of just some basic stuff on how to do this. I'm in no rush to jump on it, so take your time!..
Hey Tmoney,

I could type until I'm blue in the face, but here's some reading material for you with lots of before/after pics and before/after flow numbers. I posted this thread several years ago so don't go asking questions in that thread lol... For me, pictures tell a better story on how to do this. Study the shapes of the ports and see where the material has been removed. You might have some questions on some of the terms used, if so, just ask.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...6k-beware.html

You'll need some tools to do the job. I picked up several pneaumatic die-grinders from Harbor Freight for around 10bux/each. You can get away with one grinder, but having several of them saves time when switching to a different tip/bur. You'll need some metal burs with different sizes/shapes/lengths. You'll need a good breathing mask and a some safety glasses or a face shield. That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Post here or pm me directly if you have any questions. Happy reading..

Mike
Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Banned

right on, glad to see your doing this. Just don't get to aggressive. You cant put it back once you take it off.. well you can but we wont go there...LOL
Old 07-30-2009, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Hey thanks for the link mike!! That helps out alot, now I just have to go home and compare and try to figure out what needs to be done. You do have to take the intake valves right? And trust me I will taaaake my time on doing this, like I said before I'm going to do it to the ones that are on my car now so if I do F-them up I won't really care. thanks again guys..!!.