Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Custom True-Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Custom True-Dual Exhaust

I'm bored today so here's a few pics of the exhaust I'm building for the black car. I used the existing ball flange mounts from my old Y-Pipe and hacked them off to start over with a fresh new exhaust. It's got two 12" long bullet mufflers straight off the headers, then I fabbed up my own X-Pipe from a 3" U-bend that I cut/welded together. I put the X-pipe through the tunnel mount for the torque arm. Who says you can't have true dual exhaust, with an X-pipe, and still have a tunnel mount type torque arm? I'm nearly finiished with this setup. Both pipes exit on the passenger side just before the rear axle. Eventually I'd like to take the pipes over the axle and exit behind the axle with two more mufflers. It's loud as hell at the moment but this will get me through the season.

Mike
Old 09-06-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dam that looks nice man!! Cant wait to hear it
Old 09-06-2009, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that is sick bro. Looks good. So are you putting two more mufflers after the bullets or what. And how big is the diameter of the bullets?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Yes that is sick bro. Looks good. So are you putting two more mufflers after the bullets or what. And how big is the diameter of the bullets?
Thanks guys. The bullets are 3" in/out with a 4" OD and they're both 12" long. I'd like to add some more mufflers after the axles at some point, but for now they'll remain dumped just before the rear axle. And yes,,,, it's loud. LOL...

Mike
Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Thanks guys. The bullets are 3" in/out with a 4" OD and they're both 12" long. I'd like to add some more mufflers after the axles at some point, but for now they'll remain dumped just before the rear axle. And yes,,,, it's loud. LOL...

Mike
damn that looks good, i wish my dueals were like that. i have clearance issues on mine. what kind of clearence do u get with that setup?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
damn that looks good, i wish my dueals were like that. i have clearance issues on mine. what kind of clearence do u get with that setup?
Thanks man. I just went on the first drive in the car since doing all this work to it. I have more ground clearance with this setup than my previous y-pipe that had the catalytic converters,,,, way more clearance actually. The tunnel mount crossmember hits before the exhaust does. The old y-pipe used to drag on EVERYTHING in the road.

Holy **** this thing is loud as **** now. What's the decibel limit at PIR,,, 103 db? Hmmmmm. I think it's louder than Cody's dragster (101 db) so it might be close to the limit out there. We'll see this Friday I guess...

Mike
Old 09-08-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I was at 108 with the cutouts open haha. I also think the cutoff is like 98, maybe the tech guy will chime in forgot his name. The duals look good though mike I will try making it friday to hear you run and see you bring that front end up.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

You were right it's 103 DB until 10 o'clock then it drops to like 90 DB or something
Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokinponcho73
I think I was at 108 with the cutouts open haha. I also think the cutoff is like 98, maybe the tech guy will chime in forgot his name. The duals look good though mike I will try making it friday to hear you run and see you bring that front end up.
Thanks Brandon, and glad to hear that you'll be there. Are you going to make some passes in the TA? I'm gonna try to make it out there every Friday night (weather permitting) until they close the track. I need some seat time in the car to get the chassis dialed-in lol....

Mike
Old 09-08-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will not run until I get the 9". I figgure if I blow up my eaton, there goes $500 or so.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokinponcho73
I will not run until I get the 9". I figgure if I blow up my eaton, there goes $500 or so.
I have a spare 10 bolt sitting here. If your broke yours I'd let ya use it until you got up and running again.

Mike
Old 09-08-2009, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Mike
yeah I bet it's loud... You got more clearence now even with 3inch piping? So what would it for me to have u weld up another X-pipe kit for me, cause I have 3inch also and I scrap, not all the time, but most of the time. And I could probably take that other DS off your hands at the same time. Oh also got another job, pumping gas to fund my mods on my car. First thing is a cam. then LS6 intake and lid.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

yeah I bet it's loud... You got more clearence now even with 3inch piping? So what would it for me to have u weld up another X-pipe kit for me, cause I have 3inch also and I scrap, not all the time, but most of the time. And I could probably take that other DS off your hands at the same time. Oh also got another job, pumping gas to fund my mods on my car. First thing is a cam. then LS6 intake and lid.
My old y-pipe had cats and those things drug on the ground all the time and even the crown on the road would scrape them. My car is lowered about 1.50" - 1.75" so it's fairly low. I've only driven the car once since I got the exhaust finished up, but I don't scrape on things now that I used to scrape on before. Plus I took the time to place the exhaust hanger in the most solid place possible. That allowed me to place the exhaust piping super tight against the bottom of the car without moving or bumping around.

I could take a look at your system and see what I could come up with. It's probably something that just needs a few tweaks. It's amazing what a small tweak can make in ground clearance.

Mike
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

My old y-pipe had cats and those things drug on the ground all the time and even the crown on the road would scrape them. My car is lowered about 1.50" - 1.75" so it's fairly low. I've only driven the car once since I got the exhaust finished up, but I don't scrape on things now that I used to scrape on before. Plus I took the time to place the exhaust hanger in the most solid place possible. That allowed me to place the exhaust piping super tight against the bottom of the car without moving or bumping around.

I could take a look at your system and see what I could come up with. It's probably something that just needs a few tweaks. It's amazing what a small tweak can make in ground clearance.

Mike
Wow!! Lol I wouldn't be able to lower mine even like .250 of an inch. My X-pipe is the part that scrapes the most, lol it's all scared up. If you would be able to do anything I would need to replace the driver side piece were the fuel lines are at, cause we just took a hammer and a torch and jus beat it in, instead of doing a nice job and pressing it down.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Wow!! Lol I wouldn't be able to lower mine even like .250 of an inch. My X-pipe is the part that scrapes the most, lol it's all scared up. If you would be able to do anything I would need to replace the driver side piece were the fuel lines are at, cause we just took a hammer and a torch and jus beat it in, instead of doing a nice job and pressing it down.
Do you have an aftermarket torque arm?

Here's a few shots of the rest of the exhaust after I finished it up. I angled the tailpipes over toward the passenger side and then dumped them down at an angle. Hopefully PIR's decible meter is toward the tower side lol.... Otherwise I might be screwed with the noise level.

Mike
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Wow!!! That looks really good. And yes the BD is towards the tower side, atleast that's what the guy from Gresham tranny said. I wish I had the a after market tourqe arm.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Mikey 97Z M6;12199299]Do you have an aftermarket torque arm?

Here's a few shots of the rest of the exhaust after I finished it up. I angled the tailpipes over toward the passenger side and then dumped them down at an angle. Hopefully PIR's decible meter is toward the tower side lol.... Otherwise I might be screwed with the noise level.

thta is a nice exhaust, one of the better ones ive seen.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

very nice duals!!!!makes me wanna a set
Old 09-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Banned

Looks bad *** Mike! Really liking the set up bro!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Looks bad *** Mike! Really liking the set up bro!
Hey where were ya on Friday?

Thanks everyone. I think it free'd up a little horsepower. I added about 85-90lbs to the car with the rollbar and sfc's, but it ran about the exact same trap speeds.

Mike

Quick Reply: Custom True-Dual Exhaust