Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Fuel Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Exclamation Fuel Pump Question

Hey guys I don't know if any of you guys have been down this road but I need some help. I replaced the fuel pump and filter on my car ('98 Camaro w/ 3.8L) now that it is all back together it won't start.

It has fuel but the gauge is showing E.
When we move the sender by hand it moves the gauge.
The hoses and wires are all plugged back in.
The relay and fuse have been checked and are OK.
When we turn the car on we don't hear the pump.
The car will turn over and tries to start but it just wont.

I'm kind of at a loss, I've been doing repair work and other stuff for years but this is my first "newer" car with an in-tank pump so I'm not sure what I'm missing. I read something about bleeding the system with a shrader valve but again I'm not sure were or exactly what to do.

Thanks a ton guys this is my daily driver so the sooner it is on the road the better
Jessica

Last edited by 78_elky; 04-09-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its not turning on and you have checked fuses and all that stuff, then you might have a bad pump. My buddy had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad pump.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive got a spare pump out of my car with like 46k on it if needed let me know.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Well it is officially a brand new dead pump, we ran an extension cord to the pump from the battery and it won't turn on. The old pump that was failing works doing the same thing.
thanks for giving me the idea the pump could be bad! I don't think I ever want to assume a brand new part is broken.
Anyways I called Rockauto (whereI got it) and they are going to be sending a new one once this one gets a tracking number. Great customer service! Anyways it looks like the car is going to be out of commision for a little longer, the car pooling continues
Jessica
Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by smokinponcho73
Ive got a spare pump out of my car with like 46k on it if needed let me know.
If they wouldn't have taken this back I would have been calling you! I really want to get this thing back on the road...
Jess
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Youre welcome and glad you figured it out! Hope it gets going soon.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 78_elky
Well it is officially a brand new dead pump, we ran an extension cord to the pump from the battery and it won't turn on. The old pump that was failing works doing the same thing.
thanks for giving me the idea the pump could be bad! I don't think I ever want to assume a brand new part is broken.
Anyways I called Rockauto (whereI got it) and they are going to be sending a new one once this one gets a tracking number. Great customer service! Anyways it looks like the car is going to be out of commision for a little longer, the car pooling continues
Jessica
Just food for thought....Delphi or bust for a stock replacement pump....unless you're upgrading to something like a Walbro 255. I know that sometimes aftermarket "stock replacement" pumps can be temping for the price, but I know of too many people that have gone that route....and ended up replacing it again in 2-3 months. The fact that you got a crap new one from the get-go is something to consider as proof of this.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salemetro
Just food for thought....Delphi or bust for a stock replacement pump....unless you're upgrading to something like a Walbro 255. I know that sometimes aftermarket "stock replacement" pumps can be temping for the price, but I know of too many people that have gone that route....and ended up replacing it again in 2-3 months. The fact that you got a crap new one from the get-go is something to consider as proof of this.
Very true! I replaced the fuel pump in our Tahoe last year. I used a cheapy parts house replacement pump because we were tight on funds (even the cheapy was $180.00). Four months later I had to have the pump warrantied because it failed again. If it goes out one more time I'll buy a GM pump. Those Tahoe gas tanks are heavy as hell, even half-filled with gas. I'm not looking to pull the tank a third or fourth time lol....

Mike
Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Well I didn't really want to buy an expensive pump (rather spend the $400 on my other car) so i got this pump which was a bosch. I have always heard good things about the brand and I didn't read anything too bad online about them. Much better than that airtek brand. Plus it was cheaper from Rockauto than a duralast from AutoZone because they were on clearance. I hope it holds out I'm bumming rides from friends and family all this week...I hope the replacement gets here next week. Luckily the tank is down and the car is just sitting in my parents garage.
Jessica
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys i got the new pump in! Now I can't get it to prime > I really am at a loss I've never run into this problem.

I can turn the key on and it does turn the pump on for a few seconds like it should but it won't pump any fuel out. I've got the hose hanging under the car and not hooked to the new filter. It won't even make a puddle on the floor.

I've got to get the tank seated just right to get the filler neck in the right spot still so the car is still up on the rear. I'm wondering if maybe the pump is not in the gas...I'll be readjusting the tank tomorrow and then putting the car on the ground and try again.

Any advice would be great I've swapped the filter in the past and drained a bunch of gas out of the lines and it never did anything like this.

Jessica
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 78_elky
Hey guys i got the new pump in! Now I can't get it to prime > I really am at a loss I've never run into this problem.

I can turn the key on and it does turn the pump on for a few seconds like it should but it won't pump any fuel out. I've got the hose hanging under the car and not hooked to the new filter. It won't even make a puddle on the floor.

I've got to get the tank seated just right to get the filler neck in the right spot still so the car is still up on the rear. I'm wondering if maybe the pump is not in the gas...I'll be readjusting the tank tomorrow and then putting the car on the ground and try again.

Any advice would be great I've swapped the filter in the past and drained a bunch of gas out of the lines and it never did anything like this.

Jessica
Fill the tank....and as long as everything is hooked up correctly, if it still won't prime......crap new pump #2. Sorry to hear of the headaches.....but that's why I stay away from bosche,airtex,etc......and STRONGLY recommend OEM Delphi.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

so on my first car, it stalled out on me and we found out it wasnt getting any gas so we went through and replaced the fuel pump. Turned out to be out of gas.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by salemetro
Fill the tank....and as long as everything is hooked up correctly, if it still won't prime......crap new pump #2. Sorry to hear of the headaches.....but that's why I stay away from bosche,airtex,etc......and STRONGLY recommend OEM Delphi.

Yeah I'm understanding why people hate certain brands. I got 2 bosche pumps tht were bad. I've never wanted to buy an airtex! On my other cr I've always run a holley or an edelbrock external pump and never had a problem, they last for years. I'm hoping that this all gets taken care of tomorrow when I get the car put back on the ground.
Jessica
Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

I got it fixed! Turned out the check valve on the outlet of the pump was stuck, so it would turn on but not pump...I took it out and it works great! Now I've just got to get a check valv to put in-line.
Jessica

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Question