Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

How are you Oregon Guys passing emissions?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are you Oregon Guys passing emissions?

How extensive is the deq testing here? do they look for cats and if they do do they make sure its factory location? or just plug into OBD2? I don't want to have to cut my trucks ***** of to get tags later this year!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

The only places that require testing that I know of are Medford and Portland area. I don't have any deq in my area on the Oregon coast.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I think they just throw a mirror under the car to look and see the cat is there and then plug in an OBDII reader. Its a lot easier to pass one of these newer cars with a modified computer than it is to pass an older car that has to pass a C02 emissions check with the sniffer I think if you had the computer tuned to not register or remove some of the emissions codes then you could gut the cat but the OBDII would read alright and you'd still pass but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'm sure someone else could chime in.
Jess
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I moved to Portland a couple of years ago. When I had my 94 C2500 tested, they used a sniffer to test it. I didn't see anyone checking under the truck with a mirror, but I wasn't really paying too close attention. When I bought my Miata, I had to have it tested before I could get the title changed over to my name. When I went in with that car, they just plugged in to the OBDII port, and called it a day. I knew I'd be doing the V8 swap relatively soon, so I asked the guy what I should watch out for. He told me that as long as the engine was from a car, and was the same year or newer than my car....there should be no problems. I'm still more than a bit concerned, and have bought all the parts to build a couple of o2 sims for when I take the car in to be checked in a few months. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed at this point....
Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

we don't necessarily need to look if it's a sniffer test. the readings tell us if they're there....and if you tried gutting them, and leaving the shell......the readings tell us that too.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
we don't necessarily need to look if it's a sniffer test. the readings tell us if they're there....and if you tried gutting them, and leaving the shell......the readings tell us that too.
....and in the case of an OBDII test??

I'm not opposed to installing cats on my car (been looking at ones from Random Tech), but was under the impression that as long as there is no error reported in the PCM, everything should pass??
Old 04-12-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by salemetro
....and in the case of an OBDII test??

I'm not opposed to installing cats on my car (been looking at ones from Random Tech), but was under the impression that as long as there is no error reported in the PCM, everything should pass??
as long as they don't have to physically look for them, and all of the monitors are set, and there's no request from the pcm to light the cel, you should be fine.

here in nj, they stopped doing safety checks. god only knows why. checking for the cats used to be part of that. all we're allowed to do now, is plug into the port, and if all of the conditions are met within the pcm, then the car passes. even if there's a ball joint falling out. or chords showing on a tire.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Salemmetro. Why you having sims and cats put in the miata?
And there is no cat check here that I know of.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

They don't check for cats. I had my car pass twice with long tubes and no cats. All cars 96 and newer with obd2 they just plug you in, if there's no check engine lights and it's been cleared then your good to go. They also sniff 3/4 ton trucks and bigger even the obd2 ones.

They are pretty relaxed here, my 83 Chevy K20 4x4 passed the sniffer with long tubes and flow masters with no cats, just make sure it's not running super rich.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1
They don't check for cats. I had my car pass twice with long tubes and no cats. All cars 96 and newer with obd2 they just plug you in, if there's no check engine lights and it's been cleared then your good to go. They also sniff 3/4 ton trucks and bigger even the obd2 ones.

They are pretty relaxed here, my 83 Chevy K20 4x4 passed the sniffer with long tubes and flow masters with no cats, just make sure it's not running super rich.
Not trying to be a noodge....but you do realize that although you don't fail for something like that missing.....if you get caught in a roadside check, and they're missing, you're still screwed?

emissions equipment isn't a state law.....that stuff's federal.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Yes I understand that, the only roadside checks we have around here are for commercial vehicles.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1
Yes I understand that, the only roadside checks we have around here are for commercial vehicles.
so far. that's how it used to be here in the peoples free republik of nj.

to be honest, if i could get away with it, i still wouldn't do it.....there's no need anymore.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Well I got my long tubes and y pipe for a killer deal and I don't wanna spend $400 or whatever it is for a catted y pipe. So il take my chances with no cats
Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

If you live in a emission free area and you get checked you're good to go. If you live in a emission area and get checked you're screwed, but I have never heard of someone getting pulled over and getting checked in the good O'l state of Oregon
Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tmoney223
If you live in a emission free area and you get checked you're good to go. If you live in a emission area and get checked you're screwed, but I have never heard of someone getting pulled over and getting checked in the good O'l state of Oregon
what part of "federal law" escaped you? it doesn't matter WHERE you are. if you're in the united states, it is illegal to remove them. or any emissions device. it's also a $10k fine last i heard......if caught.

i ain't trying to be a dick....i save that for the racers lounge, where it's a blast to get a couple of the regulars there fired up.......i'm just telling it the way it is.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

When I moved to Oregon I couldn't pass my El Camino because they checked under it for cats its a '78. It wasn't running bad but without the cats they automatically failed it. I know you can just bolt them in and then use a pipe when you aren't going through the testing. On the other hand, I've also been pulled over for all kinds of stuff in that car and other than a cop saying it was too loud they never really investigated what was under the hood or the car. Even when I was running through down town Portland setting off car alarms
Jess
Old 04-13-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Salemmetro. Why you having sims and cats put in the miata?
And there is no cat check here that I know of.
I've just been looking a bit, and considering it. Kinda nice not having a fairly constant exhaust smell when cruising with the windows down. Building sims is no big deal....but thought it might be better to have a "live" signal showing when it's checked (if I don't install cats), that's all. But things might change again on the car in the very near future.... I just found that Comp Turbo makes an oil-less turbo that seems to work very well. LOL Truthfully, I just need to stop spending money on cars......so I really have no idea what I'm going to do with it for sure.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 78_elky
When I moved to Oregon I couldn't pass my El Camino because they checked under it for cats its a '78. It wasn't running bad but without the cats they automatically failed it. I know you can just bolt them in and then use a pipe when you aren't going through the testing. On the other hand, I've also been pulled over for all kinds of stuff in that car and other than a cop saying it was too loud they never really investigated what was under the hood or the car. Even when I was running through down town Portland setting off car alarms
Jess
most police won't. hell....most of them don't even really know the majority of these laws. i don't mean that in a bad way, but it is what it is. their job is to try to keep the peace, and keep us some semblance of safe on the highways.

here in nj, there's a fleet of trucks, with all of the equipment that they need to set up a roadside inspection station. i hear california has sniffers that they just mount by the roadsides.

the thing with this stuff, is that most of todays cars will indeed run clean without cats.....but they will not take that law off the books. sooner or later, they're gonna start cracking down on this stuff, if for no other reason than to make some extra money.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Last deq test I did (before I realized my area was exempt) they just plugged into the OBDII port, saw it wasn't throwing codes, and gave me my "passed" receipt.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went through emissions with flying colors. Tags are good until 2014. No cats either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How are you Oregon Guys passing emissions?