Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Looking for input regarding Dyno's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for input regarding Dyno's

Serious question....

My main reason for this endeavor is I've been in my job field for 18yrs and I am ready for a change. I can easily continue to work my existing job while I start this up.

I just got back from SEMA and was talking with guys from Mustang Dyno. I live in between Bellingham and Burlington, WA.

For a load bearing dyno I have to drive to Canada or Seattle. Do you think there is a need for a load bearing dyno where I am at? I know there's lots of Navy guys at Whidbey and others with cars that need tuning on Dyno's. I am not interested in opening a tuning shop. I see of a lot of those open and close. Basically I would buy the dyno, install it in my shop (county located) and rent it out in my free time.

My interest would be renting out dyno time only. I would hook the vehicle up and run then dyno for the person, but not be involved in the tuning process. At least not until I have more time under my belt.

Im looking at the MD-150 or MD-500.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

184 views and nothing......
Old 11-13-2016, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I'll answer since I am a dyno operator and a tuner.
The shop I work for has a load bearing dyno but it's a Dyno Dynamics.
We tune mainly late model Mopars.......I'm a GM guy but we just can't get GM owners to come to us for tuning.

That said, and these are just my opinions and observations.

Most folks just seem to be interested in a number if you pay attention to day to day internet hype.
You know, "What did it put down". Irregardless if that number translates to real world performance.
I doubt most even know what a load bearing dyno can do for you in the tuning process.

We do use our dyno for all the part throttle stuff. VE tuning mainly since that is what Mopar uses.

Here is the deal though.......it's great steady state to get a baseline, but once on the street, pretty much everything changes.

And I think the reason is because doing steady state on the dyno is quite difficult to do w/o melting all sorts of things on the car because it's really difficult to duplicate airflow in the engine compartment and under the car with fans while the car sits stationary on the dyno and you are running it hard.

I also think people are cheap. :-) They will balk at a $350 bill for dyno tuning. Except for the Mopar guys........

Dyno's of course aren't cheap, and I doubt you will have a line forming to use yours. I don't think we even break even.

Ron
Old 11-13-2016, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I'll answer since I am a dyno operator and a tuner.
The shop I work for has a load bearing dyno but it's a Dyno Dynamics.
We tune mainly late model Mopars.......I'm a GM guy but we just can't get GM owners to come to us for tuning.

That said, and these are just my opinions and observations.

Most folks just seem to be interested in a number if you pay attention to day to day internet hype.
You know, "What did it put down". Irregardless if that number translates to real world performance.
I doubt most even know what a load bearing dyno can do for you in the tuning process.

We do use our dyno for all the part throttle stuff. VE tuning mainly since that is what Mopar uses.

Here is the deal though.......it's great steady state to get a baseline, but once on the street, pretty much everything changes.

And I think the reason is because doing steady state on the dyno is quite difficult to do w/o melting all sorts of things on the car because it's really difficult to duplicate airflow in the engine compartment and under the car with fans while the car sits stationary on the dyno and you are running it hard.

I also think people are cheap. :-) They will balk at a $350 bill for dyno tuning. Except for the Mopar guys........

Dyno's of course aren't cheap, and I doubt you will have a line forming to use yours. I don't think we even break even.

Ron
Ron,

This is the brutal truth reality I like to hear. I appreciate your input.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy just recently got a new Dynojet with the Eddy brake/load setup on it and have used it more then once. We usually turn on the load when we have a turbo car to help build to boost similar to that on the street to get the results as close as possible. When doing my stuff on there they all dial in pretty much 100% what it is on the street and Dynojet has been great with service on questions and supplying information on working stuff.

Like said, I wouldn't get one and have people come in your off time and expect to make money. Unless you get enough people moving through all the time it really is an expensive tool, and when a car can only hook in 3rd gear on a load and easily is at arrest me speeds on the street it is nice to have.

Quick Reply: Looking for input regarding Dyno's