Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

The H/C decision is made!! Finally...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
And a 12 bolt.
UGH!!!!! Don't remind me.............another 2-3 grand that I will have to toss down the tubes......
Old 03-16-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sardog46
Those flow pretty goodl. Just to put it in pespective my heads flow bout 25-30cfm more all the way 650 lift. Why don't you get a set of ls6 heads, and then just have the weld the chambers to whatever sive you want. The ls6 heads will way ouflow and perform the 5.3's. IMO
Yeah but it all depends what you want to do with the car... I think the TEAs are a *very* good bang for the buck, even more so for me, I'm not a 1/4 mile guy. Will use the car as a daily driver only.

Originally Posted by Rottluver
UGH!!!!! Don't remind me.............another 2-3 grand that I will have to toss down the tubes......
No joke... when the time comes I'll prob get a 9 inch.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WS6freak
Just curious, why the 9" over a 12 bolt?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

The 12-bolt and 9-inch rears are actually more similar than they are different. The major difference between the two is the design of the housings. The 12-bolt integral design features a carrier case and pinion support that are part of the rearend housing, while the 9-inch employs a drop-out third member that takes advantage of an independent carrier case and pinion support that bolts into the rearend housing.

The typical 9-inch rearend weighs in around 177 pounds (without brakes). A benefit of this design is that its third member can be easily accessed, and the factory components are capable of withstanding even more torque with 31-spline axles.

Another advantage to the 9-inch is that the axles are easier to install and remove. Ford designed the factory 28- and 31-spline axles to be removable by yanking four bolts per axle flange, which allows the axle to slide out. The axles have pressed-on bearings and retainer plates that bolt to the housing flanges. There are no C-clips inside the rearend holding them in place like on a 12-bolt.

The plus here for the 9-inch is that if you break an axle inside the housing, the axle retainer will keep the axle in place. On a 12-bolt, breaking an axle means it slides right out of the housing, causing massive sheetmetal damage along the way. You can convert a 12-bolt to the 9-inch style of axle retention, but it requires a C-clip eliminator kit and modifications to the housing.

9 inch
Old 03-16-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

9+ race case, an anodized-aluminum pinion support, a forged yoke, a Detroit locker carrier unit, and a set of 4.11 gears.

BULLET PROOF PERIOD.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 12 bolt has the c-clip eliminator kit, 33 spline axles, with the Eaton HD posi and 4.11s. If my posi blows, I'll be switching to the new 12 bolt Detroit Locker that just came out.

Don't forget a new clutch and Groo'd tranny, and a stronger driveshaft... This **** adds up quick, don't it?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Dang Nick, that's purdy! I want one....oh yeah, I already got one JUST like that.

Good write up BTW.

The other main difference Darrin is the 9" is a wee bit stronger than a 12 bolt. Both internally because the gears are larger, and externally because the axle housing design is stronger because of the solid rear piece. That's why you see guys buying the TA girdles for their 10 & 12 bolts. It firms up that section so the carrier doesn't walk around under power.

And a 9" does require a little more tweaking to make fit. Neither is real bad tho.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah but it all depends what you want to do with the car... I think the TEAs are a *very* good bang for the buck, even more so for me, I'm not a 1/4 mile guy. Will use the car as a daily driver only.

I am not saying they are not a good bang for the buck, but i do know that if you go with a head that is bigger than you need, if you get the urge to do something else down the road you don' have to get the heads redone. Just food for thought.

Good call on the nine inch, Many more ratios avail for it. Plus like you said bullet proof, mines been through hell.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Dang Nick, that's purdy! I want one....oh yeah, I already got one JUST like that.

Good write up BTW.

The other main difference Darrin is the 9" is a wee bit stronger than a 12 bolt. Both internally because the gears are larger, and externally because the axle housing design is stronger because of the solid rear piece. That's why you see guys buying the TA girdles for their 10 & 12 bolts. It firms up that section so the carrier doesn't walk around under power.

And a 9" does require a little more tweaking to make fit. Neither is real bad tho.
A litttle more tweeaking is right. My ten bolt did not last very long with just a hotcam, but i drove the **** out of that thing.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow, hell of a write up, thanks.

I had heard a rumor that the 9 inch sucks up a few more horsepower then a 12 bolt....is that true?

On a completely different subject, how do you like Mill Creek? I had a friend that lived there years ago and I absolutely loved it when I visited.......it is one of the places I am contemplating buying in.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Wow, hell of a write up, thanks.

I had heard a rumor that the 9 inch sucks up a few more horsepower then a 12 bolt....is that true?

On a completely different subject, how do you like Mill Creek? I had a friend that lived there years ago and I absolutely loved it when I visited.......it is one of the places I am contemplating buying in.
Yhea it eats a little more power, but Hp numbers are just that numbers.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sardog46
Yhea it eats a little more power, but Hp numbers are just that numbers.
VERY VERY true, I was just curious if it was true and WHY?? I am more concerned with track times then dyno #'s........hell, they said my 315's on 11" rims ate up 4-5 rwhp.....like I frickin care.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

VERY VERY true, I was just curious if it was true and WHY?? I am more concerned with track times then dyno #'s........hell, they said my 315's on 11" rims ate up 4-5 rwhp.....like I frickin care.
Bigger and heavier parts... more parasitic loss. That's why the 10 bolt will give you the best dyno numbers, but with the small and fragile parts, it's shrapnel waiting to happen.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are talking rear ends here that are more bulletproof than 99% of us need.

I understand folks have adapted the Frod 8.8 into a F-body app. That's gonna be my rear end of choice. My mustang's rear is stupid strong for anythign that any of my cars will need, and the parts are extremely reasonably priced.

Its almost as if we need any rear end OTHER than the one these cars come with.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Mill Creek is nice to live and it is considered "pretty" for a reason - the rules are very strict.

I would say nice place to live, *horrible* place to have a business. I'm a small business owner here and it just plain sucks. The sign code sucks, the people that vote for those codes suck, unless you're a huge company you get nothing. Double standards. While people like the Central Market guys can get away with breaking all sign codes known to man, small guys like me (and there are not many of us left here) struggle with this BS...

Sorry for the rant, I just get like this everytime I think about it.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn good to know! I was looking at business there a while back!
Old 03-17-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Bigger and heavier parts... more parasitic loss. That's why the 10 bolt will give you the best dyno numbers, but with the small and fragile parts, it's shrapnel waiting to happen.
Makes sense, I just don't mind if it allows me to have the 315's. As for the 10 bolt..........I know, I know........sooner, rather then later.
Originally Posted by Visceral
You guys are talking rear ends here that are more bulletproof than 99% of us need.

I understand folks have adapted the Frod 8.8 into a F-body app. That's gonna be my rear end of choice. My mustang's rear is stupid strong for anythign that any of my cars will need, and the parts are extremely reasonably priced.

Its almost as if we need any rear end OTHER than the one these cars come with.
I read some real horror stories on one of these forums about some guy (in Texas I think) who was making custom 8.8's for f-bods. 4-6 month waits beyond the date of completion, excuses and excuses and very few results......but he did have time to go racing on the weekends (the owner/builder). I am sure it is like anything else, if it is just 1 person doing it and the demand exceeds your abilities, it can be hard to say no to new business, but it sure as hell pissed off a LOTTA people.
Mill Creek is nice to live and it is considered "pretty" for a reason - the rules are very strict.

I would say nice place to live, *horrible* place to have a business. I'm a small business owner here and it just plain sucks. The sign code sucks, the people that vote for those codes suck, unless you're a huge company you get nothing. Double standards. While people like the Central Market guys can get away with breaking all sign codes known to man, small guys like me (and there are not many of us left here) struggle with this BS...

Sorry for the rant, I just get like this everytime I think about it.
I appreciate the heads up. Like I said, when I was there in 97, I loved it. Seemed very quiet, affordable (compared to L.A.) and peaceful.......I don't see myself opening a business, so I am not too worried, but it is good to know. It is one of several places I have my eye on.

My folks live in Mukilteo and I want to be close to them (less then 60 minutes) when I finaly do pick a place...........they are like my best friends and we have a lotta fun together. Plus, they are looking at buying, repairing and selling houses for their "retirement" and want me to be a part of the operation. They are sooooooo good to me.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

I used to live in Huntington Beach, CA and Mill Creek *sucks* compared to that place. That stretch from HB to New Port Beach must be one of the coolest, most nice looking places ever. Ahhhhh I miss the sun, the gilrs, everything.... the atmosphere... Seems like people are kinda stiff up here, maybe it's just the weather. Don't get me wrong, I love the clean air here and a lot of other things. It's just not fair to compare the two places anyway...
Old 03-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Launching!

My folks live in Mukilteo and I want to be close to them (less then 60 minutes) when I finaly do pick a place...........they are like my best friends and we have a lotta fun together. Plus, they are looking at buying, repairing and selling houses for their "retirement" and want me to be a part of the operation. They are sooooooo good to me.
Rott, I live in North Bend, which is exactly an hour from the in-laws place (at the speed limit, no less) which happens to be about three blocks from your parents. There is no emmissions testing in my zip code, and I am only about half an hour from Bellevue or Downtown Seattle. Prices have been going a little crazy in my neighborhood lately, but probably nothing compared to what you are used to in Cali.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

I used to live in Huntington Beach, CA and Mill Creek *sucks* compared to that place. That stretch from HB to New Port Beach must be one of the coolest, most nice looking places ever. Ahhhhh I miss the sun, the gilrs, everything.... the atmosphere... Seems like people are kinda stiff up here, maybe it's just the weather. Don't get me wrong, I love the clean air here and a lot of other things. It's just not fair to compare the two places anyway...
I was "supposed" to work for HBPD up until my (now ex) wife talked me out of it cuz she didn't wanna be so far from her parents.......second worst mistake I made with her.

I do like the Newport/Huntington area, don't get me wrong, but when you need to sell a few dozen kidneys to be able to afford a dump of a house.....somehow it just loses something.
Originally Posted by burbman
Rott, I live in North Bend, which is exactly an hour from the in-laws place (at the speed limit, no less) which happens to be about three blocks from your parents. There is no emmissions testing in my zip code, and I am only about half an hour from Bellevue or Downtown Seattle. Prices have been going a little crazy in my neighborhood lately, but probably nothing compared to what you are used to in Cali.
I will have to check out that area then........I could tolerate an hour at the speed limit (like I EVER drive that ) And when the AVERAGE cost of a house in L.A. County is almost $600k........ANYTHING looks better.