Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Removing heat shields

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing heat shields

First off thanks Ellis I can get in and out of my driveway and even cleared the speed bumps at the Elementary school. Picked up Brian with the Cut out open, that was fun all the boys going cool car Mister and the Tree hugging teachers giving me the Evil eye.

However with the cut out closed the SLP DD is just to damn quiet.
I pulled my cats off last night to see if it that would wake it up. Small improvement but not the sound I was after, gonna have to be satisfied with having the quiet car of the bunch or purchase a new system.

I'm hearing a lot of what I would describe as a tin can type of vibratation noise, which I think may be generated by the heat shields. Is it okay to remove the heat shields? or should I try mount them with rubber washers, etc. to isolate the vibratation. Anyone else have this problem how did you solve it.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the heat shield between the exhaust and the fuel tank? I wouldn't remove that shield... that's a fire waiting to happen.

In fact, most of the heat shielding (like the ones found above the high-flow cats) are there for a reason... they're usually shielding sensitive components (like fuel lines, fuel tank, wiring, etc) from the heat of the exhaust.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would keep the shields. I know the all out race guys take them out but you might want to take yours on a long trip. I would pin down which Shields are rattleing and "Adjust" them I have a few I had to adjust on my car. Check the ones in the back where the Exhaust goes over the axle. Before the shield was pinned between the Pipe and the body solid. I would like to hear your car now with the cats off. Mine and Jims is pretty quiet till you open them up then go off like the forth of July!

HERE is a sound clip of mine WHEN it was running
Old 04-07-2005, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

I agree, find the offending heat shield & bend it away from the exh or whatever it's hitting on. As Jason said, they are there to protect gas lines & wire harnesses & such that you REALLY do not want to expose to that kind of heat. The one over the axle is a prime suspect.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

I agree with the others steve, DO NOT REMOVE THE HEAT SHEILDS! since you daily drive your the florr will get hot. When i did my first exhaust i had the same problem, with the ratle, and just removed the heat sheild by the y pipe which was vibrating. Let me tell you the floor gets warm, and your feet sweet. But..............

If you can take the heat then you can remove it all, i ran no shealding fro about two years, and never had a problem. the exhaust runs about 3-5inches from anything important, and with the air moving under the car nothing ever gets hot.

Oh on another note whatever you do don't remove the heat shealding by the clutch line or else say goodby to shifting when the motor is hot.

Another opton is to get some exhaust wrap and put that around the pipe where it comes close to anything that you feel is to close. I have also done this in areas where the exhaust rubs. This works really well. if you want i have some extra you could have instead of buying it. They also make a black paint made just for the wrap, and it would look better than white for you car, which you show.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

I only had the front wheels off the ground to remove the cats and I did not see anything touching. The offending heat shields seem to be the larger ones located just above the Cats, with the car turned off if you tap on them you get that tin can rattle. The heat shields bolt directly to the floor pan metal to metal so I was thinking of adding rubber washers or something to absorb the metal to metal contact. Another idea is to remove the heat shields and apply sheets of heat shield tape. I have attached a photo of the underside of my FRC. I got this stuff at the motorcycle shop it what we use on the backside of the plastic number plate that fits over the exhaust.

Mark where did you get your Corsa?
Attached Thumbnails Removing heat shields-heat-shield-tape.jpg   Removing heat shields-heat-shielding-tape.jpg  
Old 04-07-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dont have any heat shields on my car and never noticed much of a difference once I got rid of them other than the underside looks alot cleaner. With the boom tube I dont have to worry about the fuel tank situation but the only time you WOULD have to worry about that is if you were doing a ORR event where the exuahst would even heat up that much that far back on the pipes. Daily driving, even in stop and go wont heat it up enough to cook the tank.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Like boyce said, unless you are driving hrad for a long time like him nothing under the car will get hot enough to cause problem. With as much as you drive the car steve i would eather bend them out of the way or shitcan them. He is right the car does look alot better with out them.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

I saw a sale on Corsa in the Sponsors section Steve.....And rubber washer would be a bad idea IMO. They might catch on fire. Mine was rattling there too & I just did a little form-mod & it's fine now.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I saw a sale on Corsa in the Sponsors section Steve.....And rubber washer would be a bad idea IMO. They might catch on fire. .
Thank you for being polite bet you really wanted to say Steve you dumbass rubber washers and exhaust would not be a good combination. I do need to ride in your car and hear what your exhaust sounds like. Do you have the premium pro-tips? that's a $125 swing with those tips.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Yes, I bought the premium tips. The bling-factor aint cheep!!! And my car is louder than yours will be because I have 3" pipe all the way from the headers back. But you are welcome to ride in it to see how it sounds.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

hehe no worries steve I still have my stock non dual dual exhaust so I'm probably quieter than you. Still tryin to put aside money for a GMMG.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Oh, and I think I paid $800 from Pace. They used to be a sponsor....maybe that was on Zekes site.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

I did think of polishing the heat shield once, lol.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

I painted the one by the gas tank because you can see it in the car show mirrors.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I painted the one by the gas tank because you can see it in the car show mirrors.
Why doesnt this suprise once eeency weency bit.

Quick Reply: Removing heat shields